neutral safety ? after 5 speed swap

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen jetta tdi wagon
I finished my 5 speed swap today and I think the neutral safety switch which is the white switch is bad. The car will start as long as the clutch isn't depressed. I took the switch out and checked it to find out the switch was open when the plunger is out and is closed when the plunger is depressed. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Do you have that switch on that little add on sheet metal bracket that attaches to the same bolt that holds the clutch to brake brace? The working of that switch as you describe is correct. There is a tang at the top of the clutch pedal that pushes in the switch when the pedal is depressed.
Here is what it looks like.

Last edited:

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
No I do not. Do you have a part number for that metal plate? Not a single one of the conversion instructions I read mentioned that plate.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yup, its listed in my howto on page 43. European cars IIRC do not have this switch so if you got your clutch pedal from a european vendor, it will not have that tab.

Clutch Pedal Electrical
1J0 927 189 E x1 cruise switch for clutch pedal – blue
1J0 927 189 C x1 starter switch for clutch pedal – grey
x1 bracket for starter (upper) switch,
Bracket for Starter (Upper) Switch
1J0 907 330 B

Last edited:

sewerzuk

TDI
2002 jetta GLS TDI
No I do not. Do you have a part number for that metal plate? Not a single one of the conversion instructions I read mentioned that plate.
Yup, its listed in my howto on page 43. European cars IIRC do not have this switch so if you got your clutch pedal from a european vendor, it will not have that tab.

Clutch Pedal Electrical
1J0 907 330 B
I just went through this myself; as boertje states the eurospec cars do not have provisions for the clutch start safety switch, only the cruise safety switch (the colored one on the bottom). The pedal itself is different, so you can't just bolt the switch on.
My solution: I took a brake light switch and cut the "ears" down so that it would pop in where the clutch safety switch is. The brake switch has two sets of contacts, one NO and one NC. This works perfect; you just use one set for the start safety and the other set for the cruise safety.

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI

Clutch Pedal Electrical
1J0 907 330 B
Thank you. The bracket is now on the pedal and the neutral safety is working like it should. I am glad this forum exists because without it I probably would have gotten rid of this car when the 01m trans started acting up due to the high cost of rebuilding the auto trans. Now I have a car that gets over 50mpg in the summer with the ac running. With the auto I was getting 42mpg in the summer and 46-48mpg in the winter. Now the only bad part is my car gets better gas mileage than my motorcycle.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Now the only bad part is my car gets better gas mileage than my motorcycle.
HA! I quit driving my truck, which was my daily driver, years ago because gas went from $1.50 a gallon to over $2.00 a gallon (one of the iraq wars drove the price up), and rode my Suzuki 250 (62 mpg) for 3 months rain or shine.

Then when I got my 1st Vw diesel going I stopped riding the Suzuki because it was just too cold. But I had a couple scares on the bike and just figured the xtra 12 mpg wasn't worth the risk so I never rode it again. Its still sitting in the garage. The truck also set in the driveway till about 6 months ago when I resurrected it and now I use it as a shop truck.