2007 Touareg TDI V10 or 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI?

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
I have a chance to buy a 2007 TDI in mint shape with 120K miles on it. My original plan was to buy a Mercedes ML320 CDI since I already have a 2006 CDI E320. The Mercedes has been almost 100% reliable (unlike my 2002 Jetta TDI), but I just love that V10 engine.

Does the TDI have a timing belt that needs replacing? The CDI has a timing chain that last almost indefinitely.

Talk me in or out of it!

9mmkungfu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen, 2006 Jetta
I don't believe the V10 TDI has any belts or chains. It's all gear-driven. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
V10 is gear driven, but look for an extended warranty unless you have deep pockets for possible future repairs. There a couple that require the motor to be dropped to fix. Power wise neither of those Benz's will touch that V10. I'm not talking you out of it, just know what you are getting yourself into. Go to Club Touareg and do some research.

ScottieDucati

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDi/6M
See post number 12 for a picture of the timing gears but, along the way, admire one of the very, very, very few guys in the world who decided to rebuild his own V10 engine!

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...stribution-of-a-touareg-v10-frex-73289-2.html

Get and keep a warranty going.
That man is a legend. Goes to show that it can be done, part time, without all the specialty stuff, just need a lot of patience and to be a pretty good shade-tree mechanic in your own right....