Oil leak from charge air cooler?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Intercoolers are known to have sludge build up. BTW what dealer? where was the car living for the first 46,000?

I'd be more curious at what oil's been going into the crank and knowing the emissions system is in good health.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
And since it's a CR motor, keeping the lower IC hose clean will prevent major issues from icying in the winter. Search "iced intercooler hose" for more details.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I paid for a CPO service tecks inspection unrelated to a purchasing, yesterday. Will be returning this afternoon to finalize tecks paperwork to be sent to vwoa for an open case on my newley purchased CPO Jetta TDI 6M. I've been very proactive to scour the car for any warranted issues. Thus far, some minor/major issues have been addressed to date this first month. TDI had 40,000 + miles with one previous owner who didnt use the maint/service for 36,000 miles before trading it in? I found this out two weeks later. Curently my question is a oil substance comming from the charge air cooler noted below. Any thoughts?
You paid for a CPO inspection, on a car that was already a CPO car? :confused:

There are many people who own '09+ VW who have done their own maintenance. Were there any receipts in the glove box? Notes in the service booklet?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
So no records, but you still bought the car, even though you suspect the oil has never been changed?

The oil filter can look "trashed" after 10k miles on a CR engine, as the pleats tend to seperate.

Also, the only tool that's necessary to open the filter housing is a 32mm socket, which shouldn't leave any marks.

Plus, there were no paint marks on the oil filter cap on either my '09 or my current '10.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Ok, that's a little better. The fuel filter has a 20k mile replacement interval, but going 40k probably won't hurt anything.

The air filter has a 60k interval, but some people like to change it early.