Fuel Pump Replacement

bighead66

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just got a new fuel pump and was going to install. Is there a trick for removing the lines on top of the fuel pump under the rear passenger seat? Also any other tips you may know for successfully replacing fuel pump?

Thanks,
Mike

2004 Jetta/Wagon TDI

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The trick is that you need to squeeze the connector (180 degrees apart) to release the connector. I used a channel locks on mine and that worked well.

Note where the arrow is pointing on the top of the lift pump and put the new one in with the arrow in the same place. You put the new one in rotating it as the fuel sender float stick out so you cannot push it straight down. I also put the rubber gasket in first, and then put the new pump/sender in place.

bighead66

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Do you have to take to hoses off first and then try and remove the connector? I am a little confused and don't want to break them? Thanks...

bighead66

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I see where the connector will turn clockwise 90 degrees but that's as far as I feel comfortable going. That's on the black one, haven't tried to blue one yet. The black hose connects to a black connector that is an elbow shape that connects to the top of the pump. Is this the same thing your talking about? Thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh the electrical connector is a typical VW connector that you push a small screwdriver in the slot on the back to release the connector. I suck at doing this but I have done it a couple of time successfully.

If they break it is not that big a deal and you just plug them in assuming you remember the order of the wires as that is very important. :)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I see where the connector will turn clockwise 90 degrees but that's as far as I feel comfortable going. That's on the black one, haven't tried to blue one yet. The black hose connects to a black connector that is an elbow shape that connects to the top of the pump. Is this the same thing your talking about? Thanks!
Oh I am an engineer so when I say 180 degrees apart. When you grab that connector at the base you will see that it is soft and then a little stiffer, the little stiffer is the release mechanism, now directly across from it is the other half of the release connector. Push both of them at the same time and the connector will release. It is hard to move them out of the way to get the pump out and on my car I cut a slot on the supply/return line side so I would not crimp the lines.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My lift pump failed this week and I changed it in the parking lot at work. I can almost do it in my sleep now. Glad it went well for you.