WTB - Jetta TDI Wagon <100k <$15k

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of years, finally joined this week.

I sold my '97 Jetta GL yesterday (no, not a TDI, but still got it up to almost 200K mi). First guy that looked at it, bought it, so now I need a new ride. I drive 100+ miles a day to / from work, so the TDI is an obvious choice. I also have a wife, two pre-teen kids, and a dog. We do a lot of camping / fishing / hiking / canoeing, so room for gear is a must. The wagon looks like the best fit, but I guess I'm open to other options.

The NB is not an option - I had the kids come along for a test ride, and they HATED the back seat.

I've set myself a limit of $15,000, and my wife says NO to anything over 100K miles. Both my '97 and the previous '92 Jettas were manuals, so I'd like to stick with that. Anybody have a wagon to fit my family's needs?

Thanks!

Edwin

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
They probably won't like the back seat of the Jetta wagon any better. It is pretty small unless your front seat passengers are also small.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
they're used to it..

You're right. But: a) they're used to sitting in the backseat of a Jetta; and b) there is a perceived difference between a 2-door and a 4-door.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
check farther down this list there is a jim in columbus ohio with a 96 passat wagon,it does have 123k miles but that car will fit the bill,5 spd and plenty of room.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
thanks for the lead

close, but not quite what I'm looking for. I've already located two '03 Jetta wagons, but the first one had rust / bad bodywork, and the other had over 115k miles.

As soon as my wife sees an odometer where all six digits are in use, she says NO SALE.

Fortunately, I've got until the beginning of March to make a decision. That's when my temporary ride goes back to its rightful owner.

acirronetdi

no to throw this out there but let your wife know that 100k plus on a diesel is nothing a diesel that has 200k plus is when I even start to think getting alittle old. Gas Vs Diesel is a totally different animal. You might find your self passing up a lot of great jettas because of one little thing.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
yeah, but

I totally agree that the diesel vs. gas is like apples vs. oranges.
But there's still the brakes, clutch, alternator, CV joints, etc etc etc that wear just the same whether the powerplant is diesel or gas.

PLUS - and this is a big one in Michigan and elsewhere in the snow belt - the body and frame will rust eventually. We had to get rid of two 4Runners because of rust. Those Toyota motors go a long time, but the bodies were shot.

Anyway, it's in my best interest to keep her smiling!!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
buttonfly said:
I totally agree that the diesel vs. gas is like apples vs. oranges.
But there's still the brakes, clutch, alternator, CV joints, etc etc etc that wear just the same whether the powerplant is diesel or gas.

PLUS - and this is a big one in Michigan and elsewhere in the snow belt - the body and frame will rust eventually. We had to get rid of two 4Runners because of rust. Those Toyota motors go a long time, but the bodies were shot.

Anyway, it's in my best interest to keep her smiling!!
You couldn't be more correct in this. There is nothing like a non-inclement weather domiciled vehicle such as the far South, SW, and Pacific SW when it comes to beautiful undercarriages, suspension, brake systems, and even under the hood. Trust me, I've been there and done that. Later!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Harvieux said:
You couldn't be more correct in this. There is nothing like a non-inclement weather domiciled vehicle such as the far South, SW, and Pacific SW when it comes to beautiful undercarriages, suspension, brake systems, and even under the hood. Trust me, I've been there and done that. Later!
But by the same token, these cars are subject to more extreme heat and humidity which can cause other problems (like severely cracked leather, peeling interior doorskins and the doosey, disintegrating foam on the HVAC flaps), all of which I have experienced when buying Southern cars. It sure is nice to turn a rust-free nut loose though :)

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Back on track!

Thanks for all of the input, but let's get this thread back on track!

I'm still in need of a good, reliable manual TDI wagon. Under $15k, under 100k mi, prefer in the midwest.

: )

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
buttonfly said:
I'm still in need of a good, reliable manual TDI wagon. Under $15k, under 100k mi, prefer in the midwest.

You'll likely have to spend a little more than $15K if you're looking for a real nice wagon with low miles that's been well maint.
Keep in mind that anything "A4" with around 80K miles will likely need a Timing belt and probably a Manifold clean-out in short order. That will cost you at least a $grand$ unless you do the wrenching. Definitely a "pay now or pay later" like H says.
That said, good luck with your search

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Bump

Found a couple of leads over the weekend, but I'm still looking!
2002+ Jetta TDI wagon
manual
under 100,000 mi
up to $15,000

Midwest preferred, but I will travel for the right vehicle!
thanks,
Edwin

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
If there are truly going to be no 2007 TDIs, resale on all existing TDIs is bound to go up. Add to that the fact that the wagon was not made after 2005, and you're looking at a tough order there, at that price point.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Service question

I found an '04 that I like, and only a few $ more than I expected to spend. One owner, all service done by the dealer since new, all records available.

But since I'm not a TDI owner (yet!), I don't know what VW recommends as far as timing belt replacement for this model. When's the "BIG SERVICE" for an '04?

Thanks in advance,
Edwin

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
thanks dieseldorf!!

'ya gotta love the community here on TDIClub. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ed, it's our pleasure - - please let us know how else we can help.

The demands placed upon the PD Tbelt are very different compared to the VEP cars. The PD belt has an easy life in comparison.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Taking the plunge!

Looks like my TDI adventure will start this weekend.

I'm flying to Forida to inspect / pick up an '04 TDI GLS Wagon. If what I see in person matches up with what we've talked about and what the pictures show, I'll be driving home to SW Michigan beginning around midnight Sunday night. One thousand two hundred and thirty miles to my doorstep; I figure about 20 hours driving time, with a break somewhere in the middle for forty winks.

It's a big step for someone who's never owned a TDI. Any sage words of advice from you diesel veterans?

Of course I'll check all fluids & tire pressure before I start, but are there any tricks / things to watch out for on the road or at a fuel stop? I mean, I've driven Rabbits & Jettas since '87, but Dr. Diesel's powerplant is a whole new gig for me.

Thanks!
; )

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
MY hat's off to you if you found an 04 GLS wagon w/ <100K for <$15K. Is it a Dealer or private sale? Call me a skeptic but it sounds either to good to be true or it may just be the needle in the haystack. It may be worth your while to get a Carfax report before making the trip. Anyway, good luck with it. You might need to stop for fuel "Once" :)

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
it IS a needle in a haystack

My wife wants to kill me for making a 20-hour road trip, but I think it will be worth it.

Pulled a Carfax report (my own, I don't trust what a seller faxes to me - could be altered), all clear and everything matches what the seller (original owner) told me. Talked to the FL state department of motor vehicles, matched the title # ( clean ) and VIN (also clean). Got a stack of photos from the seller, everything checks out. Quizzed her on maintenance, condition, mileage, etc., and never once tripped her up.

At worst, if things DON'T check out when I see & test drive, then I am out one vacation day (ouch!), plus airfare there and back. I'm a bargain hunter for that, too, so it shouldn't be more than $250 round trip.

And to be honest, I did go over the $15K limit, but only a little. All of the other wagons I looked into were '02s or '03s, so I figured an extra $1K is worth a newer ride.

tdi_guest

TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS Wagon, Reflex Silver - totalled; replaced with 2006 VW Jetta TDI, black pkg#1, DSG
I'm interested in hearing how this turns out...please let us know. It does sound like you've found a deal...even my insurer will end up paying almost $19K (U.S.) for my totalled out '03 GLS TDI wagon (~45k mi., auto, monsoon) by the time they cover taxes on my new purchase (TDI!).
Enjoy the warm weather and the drive home...

RunningSnail

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Drive Back

I'm interested in hearing about your visit south also. We purchased our '01 Jetta approx 1 year ago in Naples and drove back to Kalamazoo. My experience with the local dealer has been mixed (at best).

I like the idea of a Southern car with no rust. The '01 is seeing it's first road salt this year so I hope I have 5 years on a similar local purchase.

Good luck with the drive.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Done Deal

The short story is that the deal and the trip were pretty much flawless, and I now have an '04 GLS TDI Wagon in my garage. Thanks to everyone who gave advice, it was appreciated.

I'll put the long story here; it's probably going to be long-winded.

First, getting there. The car's (former) owners live in the Daytona Beach, FL area, and I'm in southwest Michigan. Direct flights, last minute, one-way, were ridiculously expensive. So I found a cheapie on AirTran out of Chicago-Midway, to Orlando, where the sellers agreed to pick me up at the airport. My wife and kids have sports & other activities that keep them busy, plus they still thought I was totally crazy to go that far to get a car, so a ride to the airport was out of the question. I took a commuter train into Chicago, then the Orange Line out to Midway. The train broke one of its rooftop electrical contacts - you know, the one that rubs the wires above the tracks, so we were delayed by an hour. Good thing I built my itinerary with plenty of margin for error! At the airport, I expected to be thoroughly examined by security, since I was flying single, on a one-way ticket purchased at the last minute. To my surprise, no problem.

Second, the deal. Met the sellers at the airport in Orlando. They, too, laughed that it was almost like a drug deal: meeting a stranger at night (after 10PM) in the airport, and prepared to exchange a large amount of cash for "the merchandise". Good people, it was a pleasure to meet them.

We went to a nearby Denny's. The parking lot was well lit, and I had a two-page checklist to go through. Top to bottom, inside and out, electrical, mechanical, body fit-and-finish. At one point, the seller, a little frustrated that I was being so thorough, asked whether I intended to look under the car, too. And I did – it was on the checklist! Took my flashlight and did an upside-down shimmy as far underneath as I could. And it made me smile. Remember, I’m from the snowy north, and even after just a year or two, I expect to see rust and corrosion. But this was clean as the day it was made – even the muffler & pipes were still shiny.

Everything on my checklist was A-OK, so we went into the restaurant for some coffee and to do the paperwork. By midnight, it was a done deal.

Third, the drive home. With the original two keys plus the valet key in hand, I was on the road. The fuel tank – can’t say “gas” any more – showed full, but the odometer hadn’t been reset, so I couldn’t be sure. On the Florida Turnpike, I only stalled it once pulling away from a tollbooth. Gotta remember that the torque curve is different on the TDI than on my ol’ gas Jetta. Made it past Atlanta – 504 miles – before taking a break. The rain and rush hour traffic were really tiring me out. Pulled into a truck stop, folded down the back seat, and unrolled the sleeping bag. Planned to sleep 3-4 hours, but after only one, I was awake and ready to go.

Circled the “auto” pumps a couple of times looking for the diesel, and couldn’t find one. I guess that’s a sense I will have to develop now. Crossed the street to another station, found the diesel, and filled up. Loved the double take of the guy on the other side of the pump, filling up his diesel F-350. He muttered something about “diesel fuel for that tiny thing?”

The road through Chattanooga, Nashville, and Louisville was uneventful. Looked like I picked a good time for a snooze, there had been quite a bit of freezing rain at some of the higher elevations. But for me, the road was clear and dry; just covered with a whole lot of salt. There was a salt-dust cloud where the semis stirred it up. Got to the point where I could even taste it on the back of my tongue, seeing as I had the sunroof vent open. Continuing north, I got stuck briefly in rush hour traffic around Indianapolis, but no big deal. 20 years ago when I lived there, that town was a whole lot smaller!

Now the fun part begins. I was watching the odometer. 600 miles since the last fuel stop; then 620; then 640. Would I achieve the legendary 700-mile tank? Well, no. When the fuel light came on, I scooted into the first station with diesel. It was getting dark, and I haven’t had this thing long enough yet to know how far it will go between “fuel light on” and “out of fuel on the side of the road, you moron”. I calculated 47.5 MPG. I’m happy, considering that a) my gas Jetta once got 35 MPG under perfect circumstances; and b) there was a lot of up-and-down in the hills of TN and KY, plus the stop-and-go rush hour in Indy.

Close to the house, I ran the wagon through a car wash, and then hurried home to show her off to the family. 1,227 miles (and 19 ½ hours drive-time) from pick-up, I’m happy; my wife loves the heated seats; and the kids think the Monsoon sound is awesome. Would I do a long-distance buy again? Yep; but give me a while for this old body to recover from the road trip.

To RunningSnail: Although I live near Kalamazoo, I don’t plan to use the local dealer for parts / service unless absolutely necessary. My experience with them has been “mixed”, too. But it’s still better than my experience with the Holland VW dealership, who neglected to tighten bolts after replacing an alternator, which caused the AC compressor to fall off its bracket and drag on the ground until I could stop. They wouldn’t even acknowledge that it was their fault! I already made arrangements to have my local VW guy (NOT the dealership) do the 80K service and look it over tomorrow. This shop is good; anyone around Holland, Michigan who’s interested can PM me, and I’ll tell you who (if you don’t already know).

Now I’ll have to start lurking around the other forums. First modifications planned: a skid plate for the underside, and monster mats inside.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope the car works out for you, and congrats, but my rule of thumb, never buy a car at night. Been there done that once, and learned my lesson.

For peace of mind, I'd take it to a friendly body shop and ask if they can tell if it's ever been hit or flooded.