No start on AHU (cold start injector?)

Daragorn

TDI
1983 Vanagon 1.9 TDI (AHU), 2000 Jetta TDI
So I did an engine swap (1.9 AHU) into my vanagon this summer. It all went fairly smooth until start up. It would crank and put out a little smoke but would never take off. Through much troubleshooting, and trial and error, I finally discovered I could start the engine if I had the cold start injector/fuel shut off solenoid connection unplugged (obviously with the fuel shut off jumped to power). Plugging it back in would immediately kill the engine.

I've taken it down the road (up to 60km/h) with the cold start injector unplugged and it seems to have good acceleration and power like that but I've never driven this van with this engine so I don't know how is should feel.

I'd love if you all could give me some ideas on what else it might me or what else I should check out. Here's a list of everything relevant I can think of:

1. The engine fired up nicely before I pulled it out of the donor car. It was about 8 months between the last time it ran and when I tried to start it again.

2. Again, the engine starts and runs quite well with the cold start injector unplugged so I don't suspect that timing somehow went off track.

3. I have a new harness and ECU from Fastforward Automotive. Everything checks out good on it (I've tried a different ECU as well just to be sure). I have no reason to suspect anything in the ECU or wiring harness itself.

4. The Engine Speed Senor (or CPS) seems to check out good too. Within Spec. Reads what I'd expect on the OBDII.

5. The need lift sensor also seems good (within spec).

6. The coldstart injector is also within spec for ohm reading.

7. I don't have any codes.

So it seems like the problem is either the input to the cold start injector or the cold start injector itself. If anyone has ideas about how to diagnose or narrow this down further I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Daragorn

TDI
Yes- it's labelled on my diagrams as the "cold start injector" but seems like a poor name for it.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
No.

It's the solenoid under the pump that controls advance. Prolly something lost in translation.

Daragorn

TDI
Right- the advance solenoid under the pump.

I can start the engine with the AS unplugged (and it runs seemingly well) but won't start (a little smoke though) when it is plugged in.

The AS is within spec for resistance readings.

Daragorn

TDI
For anyone dealing with a similar issue:

Finally figured it out...the fuel pump was out of time by one tooth. I thought I had checked timing carefully but I guess not.

Anyways, the Advance Solenoid when unplugged (fully advanced?) compensated enough for the engine to start but when the AS was operating properly (plugged in) the timing was then too far off to start. Moved timing back one tooth and now it's running perfectly.