Would you buy your Diesel wagon again?

Would you buy your VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen again?

• Yes

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Used cars are a crap shoot. The post 2009 TDI's are way more complicated and expensive to fix than ALH. The issue with the CR TDI's are the hand-grande modes...

1) HPFP fails and puts metal into fuel system taking out a lot of other components. It is at least $5,000 to fix. There is a modification (not approved by VW) to retrofit a better HPFP with no history of failure. There is another modification that adds extra filters to isolate metal contamination.

2) When the Turbo goes it can dump oil into the complicated exhaust system.The exhaust system, DPF, EGR valves, coolers, catalytic will/may be damaged. I am guessing this is another $5,000 bill on up. There is no other modification except proactively replace the turbo or upgrade turbo to a bigger CR170. Changing things requires reprogramming the ECU. You are now going down the expensive hobby road of car modification. Other owners remove some or most of the "After Treatment", like the DPF, EGR system, CAT. Of course this is against Federal Law.

*******SNIP*******
That was the primary reason I gladly gave my car back to VW in trade for a GTi.

I miss the MPG of the TDi. I also kinda regret not just going for a .:R :p
Overall though the GTi is a great daily driver that's also fun to drive :cool: