Nutty's 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI 6MT

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
This is our first VW since 98 when we got my now wife and then girlfriend her first new car, a 98 New Beetle. It was good and she loved it. It started having nickel and dime issues after 45k and really was disappointing. It pretty much soured me on VW for a long time. We sold it back in 2003 as we were buying a house and I was tired of it.

Fast forward to 2013. I've since gotten deep into the pinball (80's to current era) and hauling machines requires a vehicle that can fit them easily. I have a full size F150 but it's not always necessary to take a big truck to pick up a machine. As I was asking around pinball people, I found that several loved the JSW as it can fit a machine, great fuel economy, and fun to drive. Since we needed a new car to replace my old 2005 200k Focus, it made sense to have a wagon to fit more for our many trips we take.

I started asking my VW uncles and cousin about them since my cousin just got a 14 DSG JSW TDI. They love it but by the time I was looking late last summer, there weren't too many 6MT's (Wife and I won't drive an auto) left and we knew the new body and engine were coming out. So we waited and waited. :)

Found my uncle ordered his 14 GLI from our local dealer in Reading. They were happy to accept the VW Partner Program and let me "order" (Didn't realize that meant what it does with VW but oh well.) We ordered it on 2/25 and it was built 3/12. It arrived at port on 4/13 and was on a truck for delivery week 4/21. It arrived at the dealer late Friday afternoon on 4/24 and received it the next day on 4/25.

It is a SEL 6MT in Platinum Grey Metallic with Lighting Package and Monster Mat kit. I didn't care for the parking package with the opening in the grille and we really have no need for it.

I bought two accessories prior to the car delivery and installed myself: Chrome tips and the rear bumper protector. I went with the metal protector as I thought it matched and went well with the roof rails to add some contrast to the dark silver paint.

Picture at the dealer:

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Here's the installed accessories. (The 93 GT in the plaque was my old car that was featured in several Mustang magazines and some adverts)

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Few pictures underneath and some pics related to the belly pan and bolts for oil changes:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Tint was done Thursday with 35% on front driver/passenger and 20% on the rest. I'd normally go with 20% all around but the wife has problems seeing out the sides at night when she's driving.

Groundhog

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
looks great! Thanks for the underbelly shots- nice to know what to expect. Is the bumper protector ABS or stainless?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Picture at the dealer:
I see your Sportwagen parked next to that bloated VW crossover and wonder why people even like bloated crossovers with absolutely no space behind the rear seats. Wagons look so so much better.

Looks good!

What is that device in the exhaust after the cat?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Very nice car!

this device is the exhaust flap. J883.

from the EA288 Self study guide:

Natural variable low-pressure EGR operation occurs​
when there is sufficient pressure difference in between the​
turbocharger intake and the particulate filter outlet. When​
the pressure difference is not substantial enough, the​
exhaust flap is used to increase the exhaust pressures.​
The exhaust flap can raise the exhaust gas pressure in front​
of the flap to about 10 mbar higher than the exhaust gas​
pressure after the exhaust flap.​
This overpressure creates a pressure difference that allows​
for EGR operation in the entire engine map range.​
Effects of Failure​
If the exhaust flap control unit fails, the exhaust flap is​
moved to the “Open” position by a return spring. No EGR​
occurs.

jen_madcity

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Tinting

Nutty 5.0 I really like the window tinting you had done. Mine is going in for tint in a few weeks. I've never had a car tinted before. Would be happy to get your (or anyone's) advice. Thanks!

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
great looking ride
how do you like and from where.
your rear sill protection strip
brushed/stainless
thanks
Love it but only at 7xx miles so far. Vacation and days off have kept me from driving it much more. Came from Reading VW in Reading Pa.

I see your Sportwagen parked next to that bloated VW crossover and wonder why people even like bloated crossovers with absolutely no space behind the rear seats. Wagons look so so much better.

Looks good!
Yeah, I guess the all wheel drive in the NE US is one reason, but they do have more room than most of the small SUV's.

Love your wagon!
Thanks!

Nutty 5.0 I really like the window tinting you had done. Mine is going in for tint in a few weeks. I've never had a car tinted before. Would be happy to get your (or anyone's) advice. Thanks!
I would call around to tint shops in your area and see what they say is legal as it varies from state to state. Of the 15+ years I've had all my cars (And wife's) tinted, wife was pulled over one time (It was legal; long story but we paid the silly fine vs. removing it.) Some calls to some garages or police stations may be worth knowing as well if you can't find what your state allows. I like mine dark as possible but anything is better than nothing!

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Got these installed Memorial Day weekend but just got some pictures. Thanks to skramer for the heads up on the angles (There are left and right so need to pay attention) as they line up to the body lines perfectly.

JOJATK

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE, 6spd manual in Reflex Silver
Fantastic!!! Just picked up my '15 TDI SE SportWagen 6SPD MT in Reflex Silver. Love it so far! Also interested in hearing your thoughts and advice on the tinting.