TDIFest Biodiesel

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
No news. :( Looks like they have a busy weekend already - they're participating in another event in Ohio that weekend. I'll call as Fest gets closer and see if they can have B100 on one of the pumps for us.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
No news. :( Looks like they have a busy weekend already - they're participating in another event in Ohio that weekend. I'll call as Fest gets closer and see if they can have B100 on one of the pumps for us.
Well that's no good. Hopefully they can. Did they have a 55 cetane pump? If not, am I going to have to bring the passport to have an excuse to go across the border? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'll be in Michigan this weekend for Marty's GTG. I'll do some reconnaissance work and report back. :D

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a plan. I would prefer the bio, but if it's not available then the 55 wherever available will be next best. Thanks man.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Guys, I have bad news for you all.

Tim Wacker is a stand up guy, and the source of my own (and parent's) biodiesel for our TDIs and tractors.

However he is currently not carrying any biodiesel, at all, with no plans to buy more. He still has it available to him, but has to run tanker trucks far down south to get it, so with little to no demand up here in MIchigan, is not planning on doing so. This is a serious problem for me personally, as I need to find another source ASAP to avoid going back to pure dino and risking seal leakage, etc.

While biodiesel.org still lists Meijer as a B20 source, they have also stopped selling anything with bio in it. They did indeed have an algae issue that was well known. I still, however, ran their supposed B20 all winter long for many many years with no issue. But then one day they put a sticker on the pump stating the fuel could have anywhere from b5 to b20. No one in the station knew anything about it. Then the sticker was pulled along with any labels saying "bio".

Depending on how many gallons y'all would commit to buying, maybe Tim Wacker would bring up a tanker. I would sure like this personally.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Well there goes that plan. :-( I would be committed to 30-40 gallons.

Does he sell 55 cetane D2?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wow! That's some pretty bad news. Tim didn't sound particularly excited about biodiesel when I spoke with him on the phone a while back.

Bummer. :(

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thanks for the update. It's not what I WANTED to hear, but I needed to.
Now to formulate a plan B.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the update. It's not what I WANTED to hear, but I needed to.
Now to formulate a plan B.
You know any other areas within a reasonable radius Jon? I would stop at Jatrodiesel, but it don't think I will be open when i am going through there.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Well I plan to hit up the dwindling stock of biodiesel at Randy's Service station in Fowlerville, MI, tomorrow morning on my way up north for the weekend. They offer B5, B20, B50 and B99 at the pump. Problem is, they get their b99 delivered from..... Wacker. They are down below 400 gallons now. Will they still have any left by the fest? Doubtful, but if they do, maybe Marty Bergell can bring down some filled jugs for you guys.

I plan to call Tim Wacker next week to re-inquire about biodiesel. Seems if enough people pester him for long enough, he'll probably call up another truck load of the good stuff. I hope. I will update this thread for y'all sometime next week.

Lug_Nut

TDI
You know any other areas within a reasonable radius Jon? I would stop at Jatrodiesel, but it don't think I will be open when i am going through there.
No, not yet, but I will have a rather lengthy detour this year so I need to plan fueling appropriately.
And no, I won't be claiming that detour distance towards longest distance driven to the fest. Indeed the fest this year is a secondary stop on my primary journey.;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
How did I miss the link between Randy's and Wacker in post #44?
Am I selecting and just reading what I want to read?

Time for Plan "B.1"?

Last edited:

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
How did I miss the link between Randy's and Wacker in post #44?
Am I selecting and just reading what I want to read?

Time for Plan "B.1"?
I think so. If I had my auxiliary tank in my truck, which is in Ohio, I would park the VW at the mothers-in-law house and go to JatroDiesel and bring us some up Jon. But the aux tank is here in TN.:(

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Not for me. I'm planning out my itinerary and it won't require as much of a deviation as the trip to Portland took.

Cumberland, RI, Shiremanstown, PA, Knoxville, TN, Harvey, LA,
Then back up to Manchester, TN, Jatro in Miamisburgh, OH, and on to the fest. Maybe I fill with what diluted (polluted) B20 or so I can find there, probably not.
Even if I don't, I'll have quite enough to get to Oberlin, OH and then to Pittsfield, MA, and home.

The trip to Big Easy is the primary reason, the fest is secondary, and running on B99 / B100 will have to fit in with the trip south. If I can't do both then the B99 loses out this year.

edit: (or I bring one 5 gallon jug as insurance).

Lug_Nut

TDI
I haven't contacted any yet. I only set this plan B.1 yesterday. If Manchester is out, then it isn't that far to return to the Knoxville location (plan B.2?).