Start button and RFID keyless entry kit ?!

Have you ever upgraded your A3/B4 with this Start button and RFID Keyless Entry kit?

• Yes, it works awesome, I love it, best upgrade ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it sucks, I hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it looks cool, cheap price, gonna try it,

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, old ignition switch forever, I’m a Luddite.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Has anyone here ever installed this $22 Start button and Keyless RFID Entry upgrade on your A3 or B4 TDI ?!
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302727723509
Asking because I’d much rather upgrade to a new Start button, than replace the (more expensive, less sophisticated) old style broken ignition switch.
The RFID tag for entry is a bonus. It should open the central locking mechanism, right?

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
PO had a push button in my MK3 tdi. First change i got i removed that stupid push button and installed a proper Ignition switch. Its was cheaper than that $22 eBay crap any day, and Its not Cool....

Last edited:

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I've been using a regular old Autozone push-button to start my car for almost three years now. Still preferable to me over having to replace the ignition switch.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
I've been using a regular old Autozone push-button to start my car for almost three years now. Still preferable to me over having to replace the ignition switch.
That's just laziness. Takes just as long to install that POS button than it would
be to replace the ignition switch....:cool:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That's just laziness. Takes just as long to install that POS button than it would
be to replace the ignition switch....:cool:

I’d sure I could depin that plug and wire up a momentary switch faster than I could swap a switch... still need the key to unlock the column, though. Not that I’d do it, but it’s still functional, unless the switch has an issue of dropping power.

For comparison, replacement ignition switches on eBay are less than 5 bucks.

Years ago, I bought one of those switches that claimed be OE. I lost the “key in” radio function and ended up pulling it out, and installed an OE Kostal switch.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I've done tons of ignition switches and they're easy. Takes me about 20 minute start to finish. I will only install OEM switches though since everything else seems to fail early and has to be done again.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I've done tons of ignition switches and they're easy. Takes me about 20 minute start to finish. I will only install OEM switches though since everything else seems to fail early and has to be done again.
Nice, maybe I ought to revisit that. I already bought a new OEM switch from ID Parts back when it first started acting up.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Actually, this switch fits seven different models from 1989 to 2004 so 'basically the same' means a lot here.

Steve

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
This thread inspired me to go ahead and change it, considering I already had everything I needed.

Fortunately for me there was about an hour and a half power outage at work today, so I just used the time to change it in the parking lot. Took me a little over an hour being my first time, but still not as bad as I had expected. I used the pull-out method.

I think the hardest part was figuring out which screwdriver to sacrifice for the job.

Definitely feels much more "notchy" now. Good to have it back in factory-working order.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, there is the odd thread on the interwebs suggesting you can work around pulling the column out... not sure that it's actually possible though... and in reality it's only a few bolts and screws and boom... the column is in your hands where you can easily swap out the switch. :)

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
The big drawback of a new ignition switch is the fact it’s keyed different so you have to extract the core from the drivers door lock, glove box lock, and trunk lock, and match all their tumblers to it.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Why did you replace the key switch and not just the ignition switch, which is a separate piece? I have yet to replace a key switch but I've done dozens of ignition switches.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
And under 5 bucks, if we're comparing eBay push-button switch kits vs just replacing the defective part with an equivalent eBay switch. :) :)
For real.
Looks like the switches sold by sellers in North America Europe South America begin at $15 free ship for I assume the genuine brand name switch.
China sellers have copies of the switch from $3-$5 free ship.
Mind boggling how can China sellers make anything on the switch...!?

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: the China Shenzhen seller “CarDot” told me he’s working on a video demonstrating immunity of his passive keyless entry system to the “repeater” attack. The system will detect that repeater attach and respond by locking all doors.
This one seems like one of the best because it’s got the know how to add new fixes against vulnerabilities to the current widespread hacks.
An example recent video demo from 7 months ago:
https://youtu.be/mmD0qxjx6Tc