How to design a turbo for high altitudes?

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
It’s kinda cool, like digging up an untouched time capsule.

Agree. Absolutely nothing wrong in digging up old threads, but some think otherwise.

Unfortunately, newbies can't seem to win. They get flak if they don't use the search feature, and flak when they do.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
We need to start documenting this necromancy and see who’s winning. This one has good placement.

Also, 950 °C EGTs are safe, but only for intermittent visitation. Sustained it another issue. 700 is low for even early turbos and they should be able to sit comfortably at 850 °C

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
We need to start documenting this necromancy and see who’s winning. This one has good placement.
Also, 950 °C EGTs are safe, but only for intermittent visitation. Sustained it another issue. 700 is low for even early turbos and they should be able to sit comfortably at 850 °C
I have old turbo and it was comfortably killed by temps over 800C :-D

original EGT limiter limits it at 780C...as my friend from Garrett pointed out...820C is already deadly for my GT1646V turbo. The "skilled" chiptuner changed EGT limiter to 850C :-D With words "don't worry it is safe up to 950C"...boy my Garrett friend laughed and then explained me how they test turbochargers.

CR turbos can do more, certainly not PD turbos...if you push your car hard, you are heading for expensive disaster (sadly, my experience). I happen to live in mountains where EGET never drops below 700C at full load

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
A lot of people aren’t aware of the response time of their sensors and how it has an impact on this. If you have big, 5 mm diameter tips on the thermocouples vs a 1.6-2.5 mm tips, you will have a multi-second time constant. This means that if you for from 330 °C to 900 °C when stepping on it, you can be waiting 5-20 seconds before your ECU actually knows you have 900 °C EGTs. Furthermore, a lot of people do not distinguish between peak temps and sustained and that has a major impact on what the temperatures mean.

It takes time to saturate the components of a turbo with these temps. If you blip to 900 °C for 2 seconds but bring that back to sub-800, then you’ll be *generally* fine. As you said, you’re in the mountains so it is easy to have high, sustained temps, which are simply unavoidable. The newer generation turbos cope better with this.