www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 28th, 2008, 18:21   #46
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Craigslist and $1000 got me this:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...0&ppuser=36337

If you are only needing 100 lbs or so capacity the car top and receiver mount boxes are good and easy to deal with. Anything more than that really should have a small trailer of some sort. Mine is small and easy to tow and handle. It will take anything from 0 to 800 lbs easily.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 13:07   #47
piney
Veteran Member

I found this thread after searching a bit but it has been a good read. While I like the Wisper bars and all, I still would like to be able to use a hitch mount bike carrier as putting them on the roof is probably not the easiest way to transport them & requires additional mounting brackets and such.

The Stoway boxes look to be what I'm in the market for, a basic box will yield 12 cubic feet of lockable space, with a cargo weight of up to 125 pounds. Good for bulky junk the wife cannot seem to not bring along on vacation.

http://www.stowaway2.com/c-1-cargo-carriers.aspx

Does anyone have one of these they can provide feedback on?

Would like this box with their riser mount that gives a 6" lift. It has to be quieter than a roof carrier although it doesn't look as slick. For the 2 or 3 times a year it'll get used, it might be what I'm looking for.
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:10   #48
Maueam

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience...
've used both cargo baskets and a couple different roof boxes, on a couple different vehicles. From my experience, the cargo basket makes more noise (empty) vs. roof box (empty or full, doesn't change wind resistance).

The only benefit that the cargo basket has is the ability to stack random-sized stuff -- duffel bags, cooler, camp chairs, etc. -- that may not fit into a roof box very well. A loaded cargo basket with random stuff tied to it has a lot of wind resistance, which turned into a larger impact on fuel mileage.

The cargo boxes require more careful packing to load them, but they keep the contents dry, secure (lockable box), and a lot less dirty (bugs, dust, etc).

Unless I really needed the space to carry a lot of huge, awkward, random stuff (i.e. like mounting a very large cargo rack across a big vehicle -- like a fullsize Con-ferr rack https://wheelstips.com/best-hitch-cargo-carriers on top of a van), I would go with the largest rocketbox type cargo box that fits. I find them a lot more useful overall.
On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help сомеоне.Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmZ4rsi7KM

Last edited by Maueam; September 18th, 2018 at 04:13.
Maueam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:48   #49
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maueam View Post
I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience...
've used both cargo baskets and a couple different roof boxes, on a couple different vehicles. From my experience, the cargo basket makes more noise (empty) vs. roof box (empty or full, doesn't change wind resistance).

The only benefit that the cargo basket has is the ability to stack random-sized stuff -- duffel bags, cooler, camp chairs, etc. -- that may not fit into a roof box very well. A loaded cargo basket with random stuff tied to it has a lot of wind resistance, which turned into a larger impact on fuel mileage.

The cargo boxes require more careful packing to load them, but they keep the contents dry, secure (lockable box), and a lot less dirty (bugs, dust, etc).

Unless I really needed the space to carry a lot of huge, awkward, random stuff (i.e. like mounting a very large cargo rack across a big vehicle -- like a fullsize Con-ferr rack https://wheelstips.com/best-hitch-cargo-carriers on top of a van), I would go with the largest rocketbox type cargo box that fits. I find them a lot more useful overall.
On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help сомеоне.Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmZ4rsi7KM
Seems you are comparing apples to oranges, though I do appreciate first had experience.

How about enclosed carrier box on hitch vs roof box? Or open hitch basket vs roof basket?

Also, how does hitch carrier impact wind resistance, following in vehicles wake, more than a roof box? You are adding carrier bars and a big box up into the wind vs a basket following in the wake of the car.

Also of note when comparing these is hitch carrier is closer to ground vs having to climb/get ladder/etc. to reach and properly load roof box.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 22:21   #50
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I have both and both have their uses. The top car top carrier is more sealed so things stay dry. And it is longer. But it is harder to load as it is up high. And it takes more power to drive. And a side wind in the Dakota's is unbearable.

Rear carrier I bolted a plastic storage box on I got for cheap that I could lock. Was nice as I could jump up and sit on it or use as a table. And the hatch cleared it when opening. Didn't take any power to drive with it. Less room though since I have the largest one you can mount on the roof to compare to. Have used in tandem on large trips in the car or separately.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote