Suspension Conversion

Tdi Junkie

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
So I have a 98 jetta tdi. Love this car more than any car I've ever owned. I'm looking at swapping my suspension over to a g32 strut springs control arms. I'm going to end up getting performance parts for it. I'm really just wondering if A this would be the best model conversion for suspension and if so if anyone knows of a good write up for the process. I read in a different discussion that doing all this you would also have to flip the tie rods if it's lowered to keep things from banging around under load. And truly money is no object for this car. I'm not a rich man by any means but I'll buy the parts one at a time until I have everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I'm assuming you mean R32 rather than G32. That swap is more a mk4 thing than mk3s. I don't think I've ever heard of anybody doing it on a mk3.

Tdi Junkie

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Yeah meant r32. Any recommendations then. Or should I just stick with parts for my model

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
R32 parts won't fit. You're going to have to do some digging to find performance suspension parts for that car. Neuspeed used to make springs, and Koni still has STR.Ts. Otherwise I'm not sure where you can look. Lots of parts are obsolete.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Yeah meant r32. Any recommendations then. Or should I just stick with parts for my model

Stick with parts for your model and you'll be happy with it.

R32 parts won't fit. You're going to have to do some digging to find performance suspension parts for that car. Neuspeed used to make springs, and Koni still has STR.Ts. Otherwise I'm not sure where you can look. Lots of parts are obsolete.
Mk3s don't have nearly the same obsolete parts issues that B4s do. TireRack still lists plenty of options for a mk3 tdi. :)

Tdi Junkie

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
The only thing I found on tire rack was tires. Do they actually sell suspension parts

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nevermind that was just the mobile version

Yeah, mobile versions of most everything suck badly.

Suspension wise you're looking at limited options. Since the Mk3 was really just a modified Mk2 suspension it's pretty simple unlike most newer cars. The B3 is just a stretched version of the MK2 and the B4 just basically a refinement of the B3 with the swap to the better front mounts and some better springs. This is for 4 cyl cars only and does not include the VR6 cars which are a little different.

I think Eibach still makes some suspension kits for Mk3, I have a set of the sport lowering springs for both 4 cyl and VR6 for Mk3. Those do not lower a tremendous amount, mabye 1.5", which for me is enough. I'm not looking for anything that scrapes the ground but I am looking for some reduction. Should install mine this summer if time allows.

I also have sway bars from Eibach, but the front is for VR6 so fitment won't work on the 4 cyl Mk3, but the rear will work and is installed. I don't think the front bar needs to be changed, the combo of OE front and Eibach rear keeps the car in a good position when cornering.

At one time Neuspeed made suspension kits but I don't know if they still do or not. I have a 25mm rear sway bar installed on the B3V and that does a nice job with keeping the wagon tail anchored.

There's also the used market on Vortex, but be careful, people will sell you blown out struts and tell you they're good, and do it with a straight face.

Steve