TDIFest 2011 Coverage in Diesel World Magazine...

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the January 2012 issue of Diesel World magazine is on the newsstand now. It has the event coverage for the 2011 TDIFest from Lexington, KY as well as a VW TDI feature article and a tech article covering the clutch upgrade and short shift kit install.

Pick up a copy and let me know what you think about the coverage we're giving to the TDIs. I think you'll like it! Atleast I hope so!!!:eek:

Take care,
Chris

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Chris

I just read your (excellent) "VW TDI Spotter's Guide" article here: http://www.motortopia.com/dieselworld/tech/vw-tdi/vw-tdi-spotter’s-guide-3559/#more-3559

I have one minor correction. The CBEA engine was only used in 2009. In the 2010 model year they changed to the CJAA engine. The horsepower and torque are identical, but there were some minor changes to balance shaft design and a few other tweaks. The new 2012 Passat uses a different configuration of the 2.0L TDI and it is called a CKRA.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Now all I have to do is find someplace that sells Diesel World Magazine.:rolleyes:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the corrections... Glad you liked the article, it was really aimed at the Truck guys that are thinking about selling their truck or getting some other daily driver to cope with the high fuel prices. I think it will still help those guys pick out a TDI and bring them into the fold, which will be good for all of us as they will mod them too and that will help the TDI performance industry as well and will in turn give us more and better parts available in the not too distant future.

Sorry I missed those differences. Also as of press time (around 4 months ago) there was almost no info available on the 2012 Passat other than it would have a TDI available and it was the same displacement as the other CR TDIs...

Almost every Walmart carries Diesel World and it is also available from most book stores. I have seen it at several other locations too but those are the easiest. It does sell out quickly on the newsstands around here anyway...

Chris

I just read your (excellent) "VW TDI Spotter's Guide" article here: http://www.motortopia.com/dieselworld/tech/vw-tdi/vw-tdi-spotter’s-guide-3559/#more-3559

I have one minor correction. The CBEA engine was only used in 2009. In the 2010 model year they changed to the CJAA engine. The horsepower and torque are identical, but there were some minor changes to balance shaft design and a few other tweaks. The new 2012 Passat uses a different configuration of the 2.0L TDI and it is called a CKRA.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Now all I have to do is find someplace that sells Diesel World Magazine.:rolleyes:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Chris,
Thanks for your work on getting that great article about TDIFest 2011 in Diesel World magazine. I know I've got my copy. :)

It's great to see the more exposure for the TDIs in a magazine that has traditionally been focused on the truck side of the diesel world and it is probably a good opportunity for both types of diesels users to see what each are doing.

I'm looking forward to reading more about TDI's in upcoming issues of Diesel World.

It was also great to see that multi-page write up in there on the winner of this years Best of Show and People's Choice from the car show, the "Green Goblin".

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I have a minor but important correction to the TDI spotter guide.

Where torque values are specified, the units of torque are incorrectly listed in pounds per foot (lb/ft), i.e., pounds divided by feet. Torque should be listed in foot-pounds (ft-lbs), i.e., feet times pounds or in pound-feet (lb-ft), i.e., pounds times feet. Torque units in metric would be Newton-meters (Nm). While feet per pounds (ft/lbs) and pounds per foot (lbs/ft) are valid units, they are NOT the units of torque at all and each describe something physically different from torque. An easy way to remember it is that torque is always a force times a distance or a distance times a force.

Great TDI spotter guide! :cool:

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Wow, good eyes. I typically write lbs-ft in my articles. Evidently someone "corrected" it once it was turned in. Al least we ALL know what it means! Thanks for reading!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Chris, thanks for the coverage. Obviously a wise investment on our part...:p

Seriously, hope to see you at the next TDIFest.

Bruce

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday checking out various automobile magazines when a cover headline caught my eye: TDI TECH - Short Shifter install; Heavy Duty Clutch. I picked up the magazine and it was the January 12 issue of Diesel World. I checked out those two articles then saw the coverage of TDI Fest 2011.

It was great to read the coverage of the Fest as well as the two tech articles. I bought that issue, and I hope they'll be more passenger diesel coverage in future issues. It was great to see coverage of our TDIs in the more traditional US diesel vehicle magazines.

Jim W

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday checking out various automobile magazines when a cover headline caught my eye: TDI TECH - Short Shifter install; Heavy Duty Clutch. I picked up the magazine and it was the January 12 issue of Diesel World. I checked out those two articles then saw the coverage of TDI Fest 2011.

It was great to read the coverage of the Fest as well as the two tech articles. I bought that issue, and I hope they'll be more passenger diesel coverage in future issues. It was great to see coverage of our TDIs in the more traditional US diesel vehicle magazines.

Both Diesel World and Diesel Power have been running articles on the Jetta TDI's for several months now.
My wife see them on the coffee table and tells me do not get any ideas on modifying HER car. I can do anything to my truck within reason but not her car.
Jim W.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Wow, good eyes. I typically write lbs-ft in my articles. Evidently someone "corrected" it once it was turned in. Al least we ALL know what it means! Thanks for reading!
Chris I know how you feel when editors 'correct' your copy. I have had names mis-spelled often when an editor thought, "that in no way could be the spelling". Then the next day the individual would complain and a correction would be run. Beautiful part is that it is then claimed the 'editor's' error instead of the photographer's error.

We had a story about a local CEO last week and I had his name spelled correctly in the cutlines and the reporter flubbed. At least in the photos it was right! :)

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Finally picked up a copy, and found a nice picture of my car on the rollers. Sweet!

stevebanks

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Black; Audi Q5 TDI
I got my car in also!

I was trilled to see my black 1999 MK 4 picture in the magazine...the one with black billet engine bay caps, carbon fiber engine cover, and exor wheels. :)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Damn! I missed it! I checked the news stand and they already have FEBRUARY. I just noticed the OP had his JAN issue in mid-November. What's with the mags these days? :rolleyes: Would someone be willing to scan the article and e-mail me at Ste@lthTDI@cox.net? Fix the @ to "a". Or is there perhaps an online link? Thanks!

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
I just ordered 5 copies. 4 of them are for sale. $9 includes paypal fees and shipping.