Who has mega miles on a TDI

TDI
'00 GOLF
Au der big three question is just no comparison what so ever ! VW diesels are "THE" cutting edge of compressed combustion. My 00 tdi is 190,000miles original rotors, clutch, turbo, exhaust, and still rolls with a luv of road. Bear in mind all electronicized diesels will be subject to the
cir-cutlery ways of failure, no maintenance can avoid that. If Rudolf saw the TDI I think he would freak. The late 6.9 and early 7.3 Ford-International V8 diesels were good for 500,000miles with good maintenance but the rest of the vehicle could be very questionable, now compare that a 88 F350 with an well maintained 84 rabbit diesel both with 500,000 and your friend will know the truth.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
276,894 miles (should say smiles) and loving it. Yes I have replaced some parts and performed routine maintance. The trick is it runs better than new. I am keeping it till 400,000 and then maybe I'll buy one of those new Jetta TDIs.:) :)

RichmondKYtdi

Dana Hanchett said:
I am keeping it till 400,000 and then maybe I'll buy one of those new Jetta TDIs.:) :)
If you are like me you'll say 400k but when you get there you might just keep going (i said i would keep mine til 250,000...i decided to double that after i passed it last year!)

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
OK Thank you all for your high milage postings :) I just dumped $1000 into front control arm bushings, swaybar bushings, and rear sub frame mounts (might not be the correct name, theya re the bushings at teh rear pivot point). I was a little concerned that my baby might start picking apart one thing after another, being that it now has 236K miles on it. But after reading all the posts here I am thinking I will procede to burn through several more sets of summer and winter tires ;)

In the 5 years I have owned it I have put on about 140K. replaced glow plugs once (need to change them again now due to CEL and a bit harder starting), plug harness once, glove box door once (was broken when I bought it and the dealer swapped it out for me, but alas the new Girlfriend wasnt as gentle as I am and popped a hinge again this winter so that is on the repair list too), full set of brakes (didnt all need it but replaced them all to keep it balanced), TB once and will be due around summer, Transmission (lost a seal and didnt know it, caused the fluid to go low and burn up a synchro), clutch and flywheel (swapped when doing the tranny to upgrade it to be better able to hold on with some potential mods), swapped out springs to VR6 GTI springs, shocks and struts once, just did rear sub frame mount bushings and front control arm bushings, need to fix center console latch, and rear seat cover just split at a seam.

I do tend to drive my diesel powered go-cart kind hard so to me this is a testimate to how solid these little cars are put together. Reading this thread I look forward to many more years out of my baby.

Bill

Last edited:

Datamater

TDI
Passat B4 Sedan, 1997, White
My Entry...

TDIx2 said:
Please chime in with your high mileage and the year of car!
361,000+ Miles on the '97 B4. Original clutch; no mods to original engine other than new intake and ECU under VW's recall.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
My 2002 Golf GLS is a manual transmission with 225,0000 miles.
BrianCT:D

Last edited:

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
'04 Golf. Original owner. Almost 64k. oops, wrong thread :D :D

-New Battery
-New intank lift pump. (Played it safe, first one started buzzing)
-EGR recall

Fun to drive everyday!

Last edited:

Randomhero1172

TDI
2003 Jetta
primerisgood said:
1992 TD Jetta, currently 592,000 kms. (367,850 mi. using official TDI club calculator!). Currently in shop for new master cylinder, front struts, tailpipe. Daily driver. Original engine, turbo, clutch.
Origincal clutch? holy crap.
Im a ford guy all day! - i have a 7,3 diesel superduty with 305,000 miles on it.

BUT these VW's are great vehicles, the big 3's cars dont come close. Ford could take a market share by putting a simple reliable diesel in the focus or new fiesta. their reluctant because they think inside the box! thats why their almost bankrupt.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Randomhero1172 said:
Origincal clutch? holy crap.
Im a ford guy all day! - i have a 7,3 diesel superduty with 305,000 miles on it.

BUT these VW's are great vehicles, the big 3's cars dont come close. Ford could take a market share by putting a simple reliable diesel in the focus or new fiesta. their reluctant because they think inside the box! thats why their almost bankrupt.
I'm still on my original clutch, turbo, engine, trans, wheel bearings, alternator, etc. too. Only major parts replaced have been the IP, nozzles, both cooling fans, shocks/struts/LCA bushings and associated suspension parts, and A/C compressor. Everything mentioned with the exception of the A/C compressor was done at around 350K to 370K miles. The A/C was done around 181K miles.

These things are like the Energizer Bunny... they just keep going and going and going.... :D

Last edited:

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
I've got 665,000km/412,000mi on my 99.5 Jetta.
Original clutch, alternator, starter, inj. pump, head never been off.
I had to change the turbo last fall and manual tranny a couple of years ago - that was my own fault as I never changed the fluid.

So far it's still not using any oil.

My secret? Drive it gently until it's fully warmed up, then run the piss out of it! :)
CG

426HPSS

TDI
2003 TDI
277,000kms on my 2003 TDI.
2nd set of brakes front and back
1 tensioner done and now need one again (mechanic says to replace Alternator clutch pulley as it may be causing tensioners to go)
T belts and 1 water pump (1st water pump went for 2 T belts) as per usual maintenance sched(filters and oil etc...)
Radio amplifier went (common on 03's). pain of a job as headliner had to be dropped
Sunroof motor quit and found a used one for 50 bucks canadian

Original 5 speed trans, motor and ready for many more miles.
Commute 900kms per week from Brampton to Barrie daily
average 5 liter per 100kms
Paid for and going to drive it till it costs over 2000/yr average to maintain.
figure I save about 7 bucks a day (diesel way cheaper in canada) over my wifes corolla to commute/
7 bucks x 250 days per year is $1750 per year. so if I spend $2000 per year in maintenance I am about even.
Cheers.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
it is not my car, but i saw a car at my work(station 109 mississauga fire) and he has (i think) a 98 with 945,000 on it, .. body looks in rough shape from some attempts at body work, other than that it looks and sounds ggggrrrrrreat!!!!

I will ask him about it next time he is in!!!

Foxmantampa

TDI
1999 1/2 Golf TDI & 2003 New Beetle TDI
Thanks for your posts!

I just joined and have found so much information that I am thrilled! I own a 99.5 Golf TDI with only 114000 miles and a 03 New Beetle TDI with only 48000 miles on it.

I look forward to having them both another 10 years! Thank you for all the postings with the high miles! :)

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
305k miles. Just had a used tranny put in, wish I had done it the first time I had problems. Body not in such good shape but may last another 300k.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Mega Miles

I'm not bragging(Thank the Lord everyday) but I have 5 TDIs 413,000 miles on the wife's, 329,000 on mine, 245,000 on first daughter's, 225,000 on second daughter's, and 219,000 on son's. Also have 2 Caddies but they are just babies, 78,000 and 115,000. One TD one N/A.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
105Uphill said:
305k miles. Just had a used tranny put in, wish I had done it the first time I had problems. Body not in such good shape but may last another 300k.
Okay, you need to change your attitude. Do not think it "may last another 300k" -- instead look forward to the next 300k miles and how to make that driving experience even more enjoyable.

Spending a few thousand to upgrade your current model makes more sense, to me, than losing a few thousand on depreciation with something else you could be driving.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Currently at 225K with our 99.5. It looks like it has 225K on it though.:eek: Interior is.. eh..not the best. Hood looks like a bag of coins hit it. Paint is pretty much done.

This car has been a daily hauler for the past 10 years so it gets used.

Mechanically it is in perfect condition though.

My dad's been commuting to Albany with it(around 200miles a day) so those miles are quickly racking up.

Hoping to get at least 300-400K out of it then maybe we will start looking around for a MKVI Golf.:D

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
99.5 Jetta with 286,000 miles on it. (Chipped with Upsolute since 30,000 miles)
99 NB with 300,000 miles on it.
04 Jetta with 96,000 miles.

erk187

TDI
99 jetta
My 81 vw pickup (caddy), I bought for 450.00, put a heap of miles on it, sold it with 450,000 miles on it, no major service, oil changes and tires, four tierod ends, 4 sets of brakes and some lights but I did buy a spare injector pump for 50 dollars just in case.. included that in the sale, a fellow bought it from me when I didn't even have it for sale for 2800 dollars. Begged me to sell it to him. I bought a jetta TDI then, for 2500 dollars, sold it with 382,000 miles, replaced the struts, tires and brakes, nothing else.... for the princely sum of 2501 dollars ( seriously!) and now I own a 2000 Beetle with only 177, 000 miles on the clock.
I would like to see someone put 250k miles on anything from the "big three" and actually sell it for more money than they paid for it, or even break even.

Bandi

TDI
'99 New Beetle TDI, '00 Jetta TDI
I've got 597,000 km on my '99 Beetle. Aside from maintenance items, the engine has never had any work done to it. No oil consumption yet, either.

Total repairs:
Shocks & Struts
Front Coil Springs
R.F. Control arm bushing
Starter
2 batteries
Trailing arm bushings
Steering rack
2 sets of ball joints

Still has original clutch & exhaust system.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Well,

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my OE brakes at 281,000 miles looking at them I think I could of easily gone 300,000+ but I felt it was time. The car does stop much better with Bremo disks and ceramic pads a fluid flush and ABS pump purge should help the pedal feel even more. The disks still measure well within max wear limits.
At the 300k TB change I plan on replacing the oil pump and engine mount bracket also. After that I think I need to be saving up for a turbo replacement seems the oil seals on the cold side are starting to leak a little might treat myself to a VNT17 or 17/22.

veggieranger

TDI
99.5 VW Jetta TDI (Hansel)
I have two 99.5 VW Jetta 5sp TDIs. One has 280,671 miles and the other has 231,394 miles. I change the oil with synthetic every 10k miles, flush with the right coolant every 2-3 years and change filters when they need it. I always change the TB/WP on time with 100k belt (updated parts) I run B20 in both Jettas in the summer and #2 diesel in the winter. I alternate Jettas for my 70 mile roundtrip commute to work.

The Good: The engines are easy to work on and are bullet-proof if you follow maintenance schedules. You can't beat the fuel mileage for long/short trip combos! They are also fun to drive.

The Bad: Everything plastic is broken on the interior, windshields are prone to cracking, check engine lights are always on. (I tried chasing these EGR rabbits and just gave up and got used to the pretty yellow light)

Overall the TDIs are great little cars. However, I wouldn't trade my '95 Dodge RAM 2500 12 valve Cummins for it. I also wouldn't trade my '00 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke diesel for it. These trucks are built stronger than the VW TDIs overall but only get 18-22mpg. They also hold their value.

-VR

Last edited:

iMac6

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Just picked myself up an '03 Jetta TDI last Saturday - 148,009 miles on it already. Can't wait to make it my own and see how many more I can put on it!

2fast4you

TDI
02 Jetta TDI Auto(sold), 2010 Jetta TDI DSG(Sold) 2001 Jetta TDI 5 Speed
just rolled 186,000 miles today on my 2002 jetta auto =]

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Finally starting to accumulate miles again, commuting about 135 miles each day. All highway, 70-75 mph, 47 mpg. Not too shabby. 309k and rising.