05 Jetta - Manual Transmission Wont Go Into Gear While Car Started After Flood

bigwebb

TDI
05 Jetta
I have an 05 tdi with a 5 speed, it's high mileage (305k) but it has been well cared for. It was caught in some water for a few minutes last week during a flash flood. A few inches above the axle is where the high water mark appears to be (about 6 inches below the top of the tire).

It drove home that evening fine, but the next day it would not go into any gear while started. Turned off it goes into gear fine. I should also say that I believe the clutch needs to be replaced anyway as it's got well over 100k miles on it, but the reality is that it was working and then stopped. I've ordered a Luk clutch kit that seems to be a popular budget option around here. Is there anything else that I should consider? I also found this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gojg2prDjr8

Any input, expertise or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Daniel

bigwebb

TDI
05 Jetta
Drain transmission oil (and water). Refill with trans oil. Cheaper than clutch

I picked up 3 bottles of syncromesh this evening. I went ahead and ordered the luk clutch kit as well since it was cheap enough. Anything I should change while I'm in there?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
clutch kit, along with. Fork, pivot ball/clip, transmission input shaft sleeve and seal.

The failure you speak of generally means that the slave cylinder is no longer pushing in the fork, or the fork is being pushed but has failed in some way (bent or warn through pivot ball), or the throw bearing. if it was throw bearing generally there would be extra noise.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Don't jump the gun here to fast. I once worked on a combine where the owner had washed the radiator out with water. Water got into the clutch housing and I had to open up the clutch housing to get the clutch to release. What happened is the water glued the clutch disc to the flywheel. I had to hammer a screwdriver in between to get it to release. Yes it was glued on that hard. I'm thinking this is what happened to your clutch.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Don't jump the gun here to fast. I once worked on a combine where the owner had washed the radiator out with water. Water got into the clutch housing and I had to open up the clutch housing to get the clutch to release. What happened is the water glued the clutch disc to the flywheel. I had to hammer a screwdriver in between to get it to release. Yes it was glued on that hard. I'm thinking this is what happened to your clutch.

^ this is a possibility.
The clutch disk can rust/stick to the flywheel and or the pressure plate.
Have you tried to start the engine with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal down all the way?
Usually this will free a stuck clutch.
If not try starting the engine in first gear with the clutch pedal down and driving it while the pedal is held down....this should definitely free up a stuck clutch.
I've seen this work numerous times on old farm machinery that's been sitting for a while.

bigwebb

TDI
05 Jetta
thanks for the replies guys. Drain and fill was a no go. Have the luk clutch kit in hand, along with clutch fork and ball pinion. Opted out of replacing the rear main seal, as maintenance records show that a clutch job was actually done 47,000 miles ago. I am reallly hoping that the clutch kit resolves the issue. Will update once installed.

Daniel

bigwebb

TDI
05 Jetta
anyone know what the labor rate is on a clutch replacement? or have a recommendation for someone that can do it/help me do it in the frederick md area?

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Sure sounds to me like the stuck clutch referenced above... that flywheel will develop rust real quick if it's been flooded with water, and the pressure plate will stick to it. Sure fits your symptoms! (That used to happen to my '72 Blazer after it had been siting outside for a few weeks.)

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
^ this is a possibility.
The clutch disk can rust/stick to the flywheel and or the pressure plate.
Have you tried to start the engine with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal down all the way?
Usually this will free a stuck clutch.
If not try starting the engine in first gear with the clutch pedal down and driving it while the pedal is held down....this should definitely free up a stuck clutch.
I've seen this work numerous times on old farm machinery that's been sitting for a while.

So, again, have you tried this?