Transmission Speed Sensor Help!

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Can someone tell me the part number for the transmission speed sensor on a 1999.5 TDI Jetta 5 Speed manual. All the part numbers i find on the other threads are not correct and do not show up on worldimpex, idparts, or 1stvwparts.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
That's not a single part number.

If you want the gear and shaft, you will need:

02A409193 guide/bushing for pinion and/or
02A409197 speedometer pinion and

Are you having trouble with the drive shaft/gear instead of the transmitter?

The part I listed earlier is for the Hall effect sender that is driven by the gear/shaft within the transmission. They are not joined in a single piece, so the sender looks like a little stub. Again, I urge you to check the function of the sender with a meter before throwing parts at the problem. Sometimes the senders go, sometimes the drive shafts, and sometimes wiring is the problem.

Last edited:

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Thank you very much for the part numbers i did not know this was two parts. Also could you tell me how to check the sensor with a meter?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You should see a pulsating current signal between pin 2 (output, +) and 3 (ground). The ground wire is brown, so you can locate pin 3. Use the diode test function (or ohms) on the meter. For obvious reasons, you have to have the sensor (or wheel) turning as you test. If you turn the wheels, block one so the differential doesn't spin the other wheel backwards (no forward motion).