Kill Stories... post em up!

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Another kill

Raced a 2002 grand am 3.4L today coming home from work. This was planned, and he knew we were racing. Couldn't get a good road to go from a dig, or even a slow roll for that matter. So basically we did 70-120. I passed him at about 95 and held the lead until I had to let off. Intake temps over 200.

Even with my upgrades, my car won't seem to go over 120. Had anyone else had that problem?

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Raced a 2002 grand am 3.4L today coming home from work. This was planned, and he knew we were racing. Couldn't get a good road to go from a dig, or even a slow roll for that matter. So basically we did 70-120. I passed him at about 95 and held the lead until I had to let off. Intake temps over 200.
Even with my upgrades, my car won't seem to go over 120. Had anyone else had that problem?
Speed limiter in the ECU 121mph just saying.
:)

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Speed limiter in the ECU 121mph just saying.
:)
That might explain it.

Also just raced a 2015 scion TC automatic. Damn quick little cars. Went from a dig. Both of us lost traction, but he regained it before I could. Got about 1.5-2 car length ahead of me, and kept that distance most of the way. I was catching up after about 85, but he let off at 100.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
ALH engined cars don't have speed limiters, except for a lack of power that is.

Something's not right with your car. I had a stage 1.5 Kerma tune with PP520 nozzles and my car did 138 mph with a stock 5-speed.

Check your intake for clogging? Need a lift pump?

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta

Something's not right with your car. I had a stage 1.5 Kerma tune with PP520 nozzles and my car did 138 mph with a stock 5-speed.

Intake was off and cleaned 10k miles ago when the turbo was replaced. Would a larger lift pump make a significant difference?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Intake was off and cleaned 10k miles ago when the turbo was replaced. Would a larger lift pump make a significant difference?
Your car doesn't have a lift pump unless someone added it on. Only BEW (2004+) engines have lift pumps. A larger IP (injection pump) would push more fuel into your engine however...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

Wow Nick, that's a bit hard to swallow. I've pushed to the limit on several occasions with more aggressive mods than you describe. Anything over 125 mph (GPS) is a struggle for sure. Higher hp/tq certainly get you there faster but at some point air resistance and rpms become your biggest obstacles.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Wow Nick, that's a bit hard to swallow. I've pushed to the limit on several occasions with more aggressive mods than you describe. Anything over 125 mph (GPS) is a struggle for sure. Higher hp/tq certainly get you there faster but at some point air resistance and rpms become your biggest obstacles.

I know it seems unbelievable, and I don't blame you for calling on it, but that's what I remember I clocked. Hopefully it's not my old-itis kicking in. This was a personalized custom Kerma 1.5 tune with 11mm pump with very aggressive part-throttle 'step in' fuel advance and many other custom settings, plus a new set of DBW balanced PP520's on freshly conditioned injector bodies, too. EGT's were smoking hot, around 1800F, IIRC. This same car blew a head gasket, but Oldpoopie deduced it was from other causes than tune alone, but it must have made it worse.

I wasn't measuring EMP's, but I'd wager they were sky high too. Was fun while it lasted :D

I'll maintain though that a mildly tuned ALH should hit 125-128 mph with stock gearing on flat, level roads. Jetpuf, me, and Aaron used to race back down the I-5 from Seattle GTG's and we were always able to maintain those speeds.

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I know it seems unbelievable, and I don't blame you for calling on it, but that's what I remember I clocked. Hopefully it's not my old-itis kicking in. This was a personalized custom Kerma 1.5 tune with 11mm pump with very aggressive part-throttle 'step in' fuel advance and many other custom settings, plus a new set of DBW balanced PP520's on freshly conditioned injector bodies, too. EGT's were smoking hot, around 1800F, IIRC. This same car blew a head gasket, but Oldpoopie deduced it was from other causes than tune alone, but it must have made it worse.

I wasn't measuring EMP's, but I'd wager they were sky high too. Was fun while it lasted :D

I'll maintain though that a mildly tuned ALH should hit 125-128 mph with stock gearing on flat, level roads. Jetpuf, me, and Aaron used to race back down the I-5 from Seattle GTG's and we were always able to maintain those speeds.
I was able to pass several bmws, an M3, an Evo X, a Challenger Hellcat several FRS/BRZ's. It's pretty embarrassing for such nice cars to have to point by a stock tune TDI jetta at Autobahn Country Club

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Not calling BS Nick, just know it's tough above abt 130 indicated. My last venture into those territories was years ago w/RC3, 11mm, PP764's & VNT-15. Haven't really tried it with my new setup (see profile). Different car, 210k, tires aren't fresh, some front end stuff original. Not sure I'm going to be above 120 anytime soon. I do have one GPS showing a 121 MPH max. Indicated, that was more like 128-129. That was pre-EGT gauge. Now equipped, I have something else to worry about. That said, I max out around 1400°F. I know where you're coming from abt the 'speed runs' on the way/back from the GTG's. Been there, done that. :D

Last edited:

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Ran against a golf R for a bit the other day. He passed me doing 80 on the right and then I pulled next to him and was ahead until I let off at 110mph cause of traffic. That was kinda cool. I'd like to take him on uninterrupted

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
Thread Revival!

I enjoy doing these for "point of reference" so I'll post a couple more.

My car is a 2013 Jetta Deleted/Malone Stage 2. Manual trans.

1998 Mustang GT- Advertised quarter mile time is low 15s...15.1 IIRC
Owned by a buddy of mine. Middle of the night on a deserted highway we did a couple 20-90 pulls. My car pulled on him by about a couple lengths both times.

2003 GTI 2-Door 1.8T, also owned by a friend. Downpipe with straight pipe exhaust with just a Cherry Bomb as a muffler. No cat. Tuned for the exhaust mods but running in "Stock" map. Also has a Stage 2 tune that is switchable. Advertised (stock) quarter mile time is ~15.3.

We did a couple runs with him in "Stock" tune from 20-80. I pulled about 1 car length on him both times.

Just for fun he switched to his Stage 2 tune and we did a couple runs. He pulled 2 lengths on me. No contest. Afterwards he did say he was surprised that I kept up so well.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Year ago or so I pulled from a light against a turboed mini cooper, 175hp I think, and similar weight. I think he was racing...
I lost.:D

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
In my neck of the woods, I always find myself racing Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maserattis, McLarens, Aston Martins, and things like that.

I only win against the ones who don't know how to drive because it's their first car ever.

The green "N" is for "Novice Driver" and this picture was taken a short distance away from my home. Not even my picture. All I had to do is search Google images for "Lamborghini new driver" and it comes up with a car in my town... What are the odds? (Pretty good actually)

Just for fun, here's a McLaren (I think?)...

Also a "Novice Driver." Seems like a good first car for the kids.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
There are several high end exotics that drive around campus at Oregon State University. They are driven by rich Asian students. I asked one if they ship it back to their country when they move back, and he said no, they just sell them.

So apparently their parents spend a couple hundred grand on a car for them to drive around in for a few years.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
The only way I have ever "killed" any other car is if there are corners involved.

My 2000 auto Jetta can only beat stock ALH automatics in a straight line.

I have however, held a good deal more speed through a corner than a lot of people in much "faster" cars. Once the road goes straight again though... I'm usually looking at tail lights.

For those of you in the DC area. You are probably familiar with the nice curvy section of 495 around the 270 split. Or the route 50 curves as you enter DC. I've left many a sports car behind on those. Again...until it straightens out.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
No speed limiter in the BEW Golf either. Ran it up to red line on the hoist - speedo goes around past 160MPH. Made a pull out in west Texas - bumped against the 100mph limp bug. Learned to let off around 95 and ease through, then pick up again after 105. Damn car pulled strong over 120. There is a section of I95 in West Palm near the BMW dealer where we would set up porters at a couple exits with walkies so we could test drive above legal speeds without hassle from the fuzz.

Most time with TDIs the torque can get you the hole shot. My sister's '71 with 1776 and baby dells would beat everything short of a Viper across the intersection. After that gearing, ability to rev, and further out aero would stop the bug from winning.

Jason

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Raced a buick verano, just to 55 or so. I dunno if they were giving it all they had, but I hit the boost limiter (30 psi until I get my dang 4 bar map sensor figured out)

Lost.
Not even the turbo'd version. hahahahaha