Gas instead of Diesl Warning!

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Later I found out if this happens again in some remote place I can add automatic transmission oil to the petrol fuel and it will run with little or no damage. Good to know for future trouble.
At this point I'd like to remind people that these forums cover multiple generations of TDIs over a span of 20 years. AK islandr's sidebar indicates he has an '03, which is FAR more tolerant of fuel variations than the newer cars. Trying this "quick fix" on a CR would be a ticket to a new HPFP.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
I was victim to a combination me/attendant not paying attention. He put in gasoline while I was distracted and the inevitable engine failure happened quickly. I have been told the next time this error happens I can get around this problem if I dump automatic transmission fluid in the tank. Yes, I too found how easy it is to access the fuel tank and pull the fuel pump. All is running fine since the entire system was flushed before I resorted to tranny fluid.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
I was victim to a combination me/attendant not paying attention. He put in gasoline while I was distracted and the inevitable engine failure happened quickly. I have been told the next time this error happens I can get around this problem if I dump automatic transmission fluid in the tank. My 03 is more tolerant to fueling errors than the newer models. Yes, I too found how easy it is to access the fuel tank and pull the fuel pump. All is running fine since the entire system was flushed before I resorted to tranny fluid.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
So this is a bit embarrassing, but it was educational. I recently drove around the US, 7+k miles. While I was in South Carolina, I somehow managed to fill my Mk4 with gasoline. How you might ask? I'm still trying to figure that out. The deal was I pulled off I95 in to some nowhere station, because the price was cheap. Pulled into the BP station, and proceeded to fill up the car. I even remember checking that the cost of the fuel was the same as posted for D2. Pushed the button for DO, I thought.
Note: Earlier in this trip, I discovered that in TX??, not all Diesel pumps are green, as out west. SO I was aware of this issue. Yellow is the color of choice
Back on the freeway, and about 5 minutes later, I'm dead in the water, coast off the freeway, luckily (I thought) onto the off ramp.
Long story short, I discovered the following: 1, my car doesn't have an electric fuel pump. 2, you can access the fuel tank easily under the back seat. 3, an empty water bottle will just fit inside to scoop out all the gasoline.
Moral of the story, be careful when you are filling up, especially when not in your normal state, or familiar station. I think that due to I was at a BP station, and there colors are green and yellow, and the fact that they only had one island, with multiple pumps at one stand, I somehow made a mistake. Cost me several hours of time, and a $200 to be back on the road, but otherwise no other issues.
Good luck and be safe out there.
PS, Just after stopping, hood up, bags on the ground, a police officer, came by, but wouldn't / didn't stop. made my day!
This happy ending story makes me yearn back to the MK4 days.

I love the feel of the tractor-like sound, and the fact that the ALH is hard to destroy. And the mileage is almost as good as my 2014 Passat.

The only downside is the soot, but any urea system can clean that exhaust up. Well, there was also the cloggable intake manifold, but that is another story.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
So this is a bit embarrassing, but it was educational. I recently drove around the US, 7+k miles. While I was in South Carolina, I somehow managed to fill my Mk4 with gasoline. How you might ask? I'm still trying to figure that out. The deal was I pulled off I95 in to some nowhere station, because the price was cheap. Pulled into the BP station, and proceeded to fill up the car. I even remember checking that the cost of the fuel was the same as posted for D2. Pushed the button for DO, I thought.
Note: Earlier in this trip, I discovered that in TX??, not all Diesel pumps are green, as out west. SO I was aware of this issue. Yellow is the color of choice
Back on the freeway, and about 5 minutes later, I'm dead in the water, coast off the freeway, luckily (I thought) onto the off ramp.
Long story short, I discovered the following: 1, my car doesn't have an electric fuel pump. 2, you can access the fuel tank easily under the back seat. 3, an empty water bottle will just fit inside to scoop out all the gasoline.
Moral of the story, be careful when you are filling up, especially when not in your normal state, or familiar station. I think that due to I was at a BP station, and there colors are green and yellow, and the fact that they only had one island, with multiple pumps at one stand, I somehow made a mistake. Cost me several hours of time, and a $200 to be back on the road, but otherwise no other issues.
Good luck and be safe out there.
PS, Just after stopping, hood up, bags on the ground, a police officer, came by, but wouldn't / didn't stop. made my day!

Don't trust pump color. Read the Label.

FWIW, works for milk as well. In New England 1% is blue. In SC (!) blue full fat (if I recall right).

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just got back from a trip to NY. Before my TDI, I would typically fill up at the last station on the turnpike in NJ before entering NY or leaving NJ for the cheap gas. But I purposely filled up in MD where I could pump my own diesel, just to be sure it was filled up with diesel. I also always get the receipt that proves I put diesel in the tank; 1 - to log my mileage, and 2 - to prove I filled with diesel, just in case there was a mix-up of fuel in the stations tanks so they would be on the hook for any improper fuel related breakdowns.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I would typically fill up at the last station on the turnpike in NJ before entering NY or leaving NJ for the cheap gas. But I purposely filled up in MD where I could pump my own diesel
You CAN pump your own diesel in New Jersey ... just not gasoline.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
You CAN pump your own diesel in New Jersey ... just not gasoline.
Yea it's always an argument though with the attendants. Most are adamant that its illegal and good luck trying to get your point across as most either don't understand English at a conversational level or choose to pretend not too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk