P1556 code is driving me nuts!

Tdikid31

TDI
2001 vw jetta alh tdi/2015 vw jetta sel tdi
Hey guys how are you doing? I have a 2001 vw jetta tdi with the auto trans. Recently it's been throwing the p1556 code. I have all new vacuum lines, brand new turbo, new maf, the map checks out, the n75 checks out and the actuator on the turbo is working. I am stumped!:confused: Anything that I could be missing here? Any advice is very much appreciated!

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Did you check for leaks in turbo piping you could have a leak somewhere on the boost pipes or maybe on the intercooler.

Tdikid31

TDI
Did you check for leaks in turbo piping you could have a leak somewhere on the boost pipes or maybe on the intercooler.
I will check the intercooler next. That's about the only thing I havnt yet. But, I did look over the hoses and seems as if they are all connected right.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That code came up for me when my intake was plugged.

Tdikid31

TDI
Alright well I just checked the intercooler and turbo hoses and nothing seems to be leaking. I'm at a loss here...�� any suggestions?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check the ross-tech wiki site for that particular DTC. They will offer suggestions.

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
I've seen sensors reading wrong values and not pulling DTCs.

A VCDS log on wot would help.

Spec intake pressure VS actual intake pressure, n75 cycle and maf flow.

Tdikid31

TDI
I've seen sensors reading wrong values and not pulling DTCs.

A VCDS log on wot would help.

Spec intake pressure VS actual intake pressure, n75 cycle and maf flow.
How would I go about checking that threw vcds? I'm new at it and dont know a whole lot yet.

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
Measuring blocks, you have a block that reads actual intake pressure. Group 11.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Instead of throwing parts at the problem, you could try doing some diagnosis. The link is for a BRM engine, however the ALH turbo is very similar. Your boost pressure looks a little high which means the stop screw on the turbo is not adjusted correctly.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-stop-screw-adjustment-tdi-engine-zip-tie-engine-hesitation/

To check, go to basic settings for charge pressure control (group 11). The high number from the test should be about 1050

Diisclaimer: the link addresses a BRM engine and for an ALH, the values may be different.

Did you check the vacuum system and components for integrity and proper operation with a Mitet-Vac?

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I know you "replaced all vacuum lines" but have you actually tried MEASURING how much vacuum your car is putting out?

Put a vacuum gauge to the small diameter port on the check valve between vacuum pump and brake booster, see what you get.

Very common to see that plastic pipe to the booster split and cause a big vacuum leak. Also not uncommon to see a leak caused by the vacuum pump itself. The large port on the vacuum pump works its way loose and doesn't seal adequately after awhile.

If you're not getting at least 20" mg vacuum at idle, you're likely to get some underboost. A proper healthy system normally puts out more than 25" mg. I see a lot of ALHs with 15" or less because of leaks at the pump or the pipe to the brake booster... That will absolutely cause underboost.

Tdikid31

TDI
Just a update. I have the problem fixed. I recently remove the egr an cooler from the car. So I delete all the extra vacuum hoses for those and I must of had a line switched around. Now all is good.