2015 Passat Wrong fuel tank?

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Okay.. Now I'm 100% convinced that in spite of what my owner's manual says, and in spite of what the literature for the 2015 Passat says about having an 18.5 Gallon fuel tank, Both of my Passats have 16.5 gallon tanks.

Although I've never gone past "5 miles until empty" on the readout before refueling, I've never been able to squeeze any more than 16.4 gallons into my 2015 Passat.

Sometime in the car's life I should have at least once or twice by now (80k on one Passat, and 6k on the other) been able to put 17-point something gallons in my car. I've never done that. Never

Anyone else experience this?

Is there a known campaign or fix by VW?

I'm about to take the car in to the dealer and get it looked at, but need to know if anyone else has had this issue.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
And what do you expect them to do about it?

The fuel tank that's in the car is the one that's meant to be there, because nothing else will fit that would have been available at the assembly plant to install (the Passat is manufactured in a completely different plant than any other VW, so it's not like someone could have made a mistake, even IF there is some other fuel tank that happens to fit in the car).

It may be wrong in the published specifications ... or there might be a fair bit left in it when the gauge says empty. (IF there is a problem with your car, I suspect it's the latter.)

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, there should be a gallon or more in reserve when the mfd first says 0 miles range remaining.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I would not recommend trying to find out by running it to empty - not a good way to treat fuel pumps.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If you really insist on knowing for sure, you can pull the pump under the rear seat, drain the tank, add 5 gallons, drive to the nearest fuel station and see how much you have to add to top off.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Although I've never gone past "5 miles until empty" on the readout before refueling, I've never been able to squeeze any more than 16.4 gallons into my 2015 Passat..

Sorry to say only an i***t would drive to 5 miles to empty.
The tank is 70 liters or 18.4 gal US.

Most I ever put in is 14 gal US or 52 liters. That's down to about 1/4 tank left.

"E" does not stand for ENOUGH !!!

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You have the right tank. If I filled up around 30-40miles left it’ll be about 16.5 gallons. I have went 22 miles after my odometer said 0 miles left and it took 17.9 gallons. I never want to do it again.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
This last weekend I drove (accidentally) to where my MFI read 20 miles to empty.

It took me 16.874 gallons and I filled it to the neck.

On previous models, once the "Low Fuel" light came on, there were 2.1 gallons left in the tank. The RED part on the gauge was the reserve.

MAYBE on the newer cars the reserve is used once the gauge actually reads empty.

We wont actually know until someone pulls their pump the moment the light comes on.