For Sale: 1990 Mk2 TDI VNT Jetta Coupe

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
SOLD!

Professionally converted TDI drivetrain retrofit in very clean no salt summer only driven & garaged chassis. Expertly tuned with lots of upgrades. Ground up long block build balanced with hardened internals and hybrid VNT turbo. Internals and tune can accommodate a bigger turbo (03G145702H aka BV43 is plug and play) but I think it’s perfect as is. Very clean tune with low EGTs on OBD2 B4 Passat ECM with factory engine harness integration on stock CE2 fusebox (all plug and play - not hacked together). Full glass / drivetrain out respray in original Diamond Silver Metallic in summer 2007 and TDI drivetrain swap followed. VNT upgrades and bottom up block rebuild in 2012-2013. Fast, reliable and enormously fun to drive. Has been on the road for 5 years since VNT build. Rock solid reliable, even holds its own on the track and turns heads.. “Is that….. a diesel”? Hagerty insured for value of $10,000. Clean Ohio Title. Carfax Available on request.

Fuel Economy: 45-50 mpg (depending on right foot).

Engine / Drivetrain:
 TDTuning VNT ECM Tune w/ 3 bar MAP ~ 23psi - MAFless– Estimate 150+ WHP / 270 TQ
 1749VA w/ cold side work on genuine AFN exhaust manifold w/ VDO egt probe.
 Bosio Sprint 357 nozzles – Professionally set up and flow tested
 Injection pump re-seal
 ~20k mi on 100% Rebuilt 1.9 AHU VNT TDI engine with Euro Engine code ASV internals
 Block stripped, cleaned, magna-fluxed, inspected
 Block decked to accommodate ASV pistons and maintain proper piston protrusion height
 Bored +.5mm with new Goetze ASV code pistons (have oil galleys for improved crown heat removal).
 Rotating assembly balanced, crank polished
 New OEM main bolts, new rod bolts (TTY)
 All new seals, bearings, gaskets, freeze plugs
 Correct ASV European upper rod bearings (moly)
 Rebuilt head with 3 angle valve job, new nitrided lifters, new valve guides, new viton valve seals
 ARP head studs
 OEM AFN European oil drain line and turbo support brace.
 Custom stealth “nested in core support” intercooler with hand fabbed stainless piping (Kevin Kriesa at DTR in Florence Kentucky).
 Correct AFN turbo inlet pipe
 Mk4 N17 valve
 Correct diesel fuel tank and filler neck for the mk2 platform
 New water pump, timing belt, tensioner, 80F thermostat
 EcoDiesel airbox
 Serpentine accessory belt drive conversion (AC compressor deleted)
 Sachs VR6 Clutch and solid flywheel, w/ new lever and throwout bearing
 Redline MTL in B4 passat gearbox with correct cable shift and hydraulic clutch conversion
 Professionally fabricated 2.5 stainless turbo back exhaust with V band flanges (easy to take apart) by Kevin Kriesa at DTR in Florence Kentucky.
 Clutched Alternator (TDI specific)
 NOS mk3 TDI hydraulic rear engine mount
 B4 Passat lower core support (required for TDI fitment)

Suspension / Brakes
 Boge ProGas struts and Eibach sport springs -1.5”
 Neuspeed 25 mm front hollow sway bar
 22mm master cylinder
 Corrado 11” Front brake spindles, calipers, rotors
 Stainless brake lines - all 4 corners
 Mk4 rear calipers
 New Front and rear wheel bearings
 New Ball joints
 New complete tie rods and boots
 Audi TT front control arm bushings
 Corrado front upper strut mounts
 Konig Villain 15 x 7 wheels with 195/60/15 Yokohama S.Drive rubber. 2 wheels have curb damage. See pics.

Body / Interior
 Original zero rust chassis purchased ~year 2000, stored / garaged / summer driven. NO SALT
 Full (glass / interior / drivetrain out) respray in original diamond silver metallic L97A
 Clear bra on leading edge of hood and fenders
 Depo E-code headlights (relayed)
 Hella 550 Foglights (relayed) with factory 3 position foglight switch
 Fender marker lights shaved (banana light delete) – e-code high fender turn signals
 NOS window scraper rubber
 Black interior on black carpet with small bumper GLI Recaro seats– (pleather was recovered in 2012)
 Re-covered headliner - black
 Alpine stereo with BlitzSafe auxiliary input
 Fuba antenna with short whip
 EGT, boost and oil pressure gauges (VDO)
 Votex Style Center Console (SWG)
 European spec rear bumper (rare)
 Tilt column
 Working cruise control on Mk3 stalks
 Grant leather steering wheel
 New OEM AC evaporator in dash - capped – ac not plumbed, but all wiring intact. Comes with some AC parts.
 New windshield and seal
 50% Tint on Front doors 35% Rear quarters and back

Extras
 Receipts and records included
 Lots of spare interior, plastic, body parts, glass, side view mirrors, trim etc.
 Extra Big door Mk2 GTI fabric door cards
 Activ speakers for door card cubbies (original cubbie doors / hinges included but are broken and don’t stay in)
 Spare door weatherstrip seals
 Spare sunroof and hardware
 Spare front bumper

Other:
-I’ve described and documented the condition of the car as accurately as possible.
-Please keep in mind, it is a 28 year old car and it does get driven in summer and there are some imperfections.
-I am happy to accomodate an in person inspection on my lift or PPI by local shop at buyer's expense.
-The car was converted to a later model TDI drivetrain from a 1.8l gasoline engine. Some states may have restrictions on gas to diesel swapped vehicles so please be sure to check you local / state laws before bidding.
-I am happy to provide original high resolution pictures, additional pictures, copies of receipts, or additional information on request.
-I am open to trade or partial trade offers for german cars, motorcycles, etc.

-The car is for sale outside of eBay as well so I reserve the right to end this listing if a sale materializes elsewhere.

-No warranty expressed or implied.

Last edited:

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments!

Since there's nothing else out there like it, it's very hard for me to put a number on it, but I think $8k sounds about right for the amount of money, time and effort that went into it. Getting the car to the right buyer is really important to me too.

The closest similar example I can think of was G60ing's TDI Corrado that he sold (I think a few years back) and he was asking $12,5.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=226459

I'm interested in feedback.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Changed your ad title Myke. Very nice car. Have you tried listing on Bring a Trailer? It might help with such a unique ride to reach a wider audience. Best of luck.

Last edited:

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Good idea. I 2nd this
Thanks for the suggestions. Believe it or not BaT is not interested. That was the first place I thought to list it too.

I was pretty disappointed.. shocked actually. Especially since I saw a stock mk2 diesel that they listed and sold in January 2018, so I'm not sure what thier problem is. My assumption is it's too sexy for thier catwalk. :p

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Thanks for the suggestions. Believe it or not BaT is not interested. That was the first place I thought to list it too.
I was pretty disappointed.. shocked actually. Especially since I saw a stock mk2 diesel that they listed and sold in January 2018, so I'm not sure what thier problem is. My assumption is it's too sexy for thier catwalk. :p

Whaaaaaaat...?
I didn't know that BaT "turned down" cars to be sold.
I assumed there was some sort of system in place to prevent it being overrun with beaters or junk, but this is thoroughly surprising to me.
Sorry to hear.

Personally, I think your price is far too low, but I believe it's realistic, unfortunately. As a teenager, I learned a long time ago when I heard older guys saying things like "over $50k invested, asking price: $20k" that it's usually true.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Whaaaaaaat...?
I didn't know that BaT "turned down" cars to be sold.
I assumed there was some sort of system in place to prevent it being overrun with beaters or junk, but this is thoroughly surprising to me.
Sorry to hear.
Personally, I think your price is far too low, but I believe it's realistic, unfortunately. As a teenager, I learned a long time ago when I heard older guys saying things like "over $50k invested, asking price: $20k" that it's usually true.
Me either, until I inquired. My guess is they have a huge blind spot for diesel vehicles, or maybe they consider my mods distasteful (thier loss).

I have a lot more than 8k invested, but I know I'll never get my money back out of it.. and that's okay.

I've really enjoyed owning, building and driving it, and the best I can hope for is that someone will come along that will enjoy and take care of it.

Thanks again for the compliments!

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E

Myke, I had that very same reaction to them denying my request to auction my VW T3 Tristar last week. Actually they didn't say no, they told me what my reserve would be. LOL as if.

This is a great looking and well built Mk II and well priced. I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet actually.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Myke, I had that very same reaction to them denying my request to auction my VW T3 Tristar last week. Actually they didn't say no, they told me what my reserve would be. LOL as if.
This is a great looking and well built Mk II and well priced. I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet actually.
Interesting. As in they wanted you to set a super low reserve? Got a link to your TriStar?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
That's exactly what they wanted to do. We had a several day back and forth conversation but they simply wouldn't budge. What was odd is that I told them I was willing to pay their fee of $99 even if it didn't sell for the exposure and that my truck would draw traffic to their site= win:win.

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192643330559

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
That's exactly what they wanted to do. We had a several day back and forth conversation but they simply wouldn't budge. What was odd is that I told them I was willing to pay their fee of $99 even if it didn't sell for the exposure and that my truck would draw traffic to their site= win:win.
Here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192643330559
Wow! Super cool VW. Never knew anything like that even existed.

It's always fun learning the ins-and-outs/behind the scenes of things like BaT. I had no idea they played 'games' like that. But my experience is limited. Mostly drooling at what's on auction once a month.

Just curious, what were they trying to mandate the reserve to be?

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Added lots of pics to the album.

Winter's coming. I'd really like to find this beauty a new home before the snow flies...

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Wow. I'm stunned no one has jumped on this car for the $. No way you could build it for the asking price.