Top Speed?

TDIinTX

Veteran Member
TDI
What's your top speed in your TDI? In my brother-in-law's '00 Golf I reached 120 one day out in the desert flatlands of New Mexico (then slowed right back down at the pleas of my frightened passengers). In my '02 I've only reached 110 before I ran out of road. I've always wondered what wide-open speed was, as I've never had the chance to find out for myself. I'd like to know both chipped and stock. Mine is stock.

Diesel Freak

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Gal Blue
I dunno boys- i'm stock (piper panel) and with heavy (17 inch long beaches) wheels. I have hit 115 and almost 120 if i recall correctly. 110 came pretty quick- it was the other 5-10 that were real slow.

You're going to need a very long road- that or race a 2.slow. =) hehe

DF

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Remember the speedometer is a little optimistic, borrow a GPS and try again. I'm doing actual 76 when it reads 80MPH. Of course that was the trap speed at the 02 TDI Fest.

Sam '02 Wagon

PS (Fastest wagon at the race portion of the fest, not to mention only one)

There better be a separate class for us wagon's at the 03 Fest, we're pulling an extra 200 pounds.

godlike242

Veteran Member
the fastest i have gone since i had the GPS going, is about 112(as reported by the GPS).. there was more to go, but not enough road to do it in

kfuller

TDI
Jetta TDI GLS, 2002, Silver, 338K+ Bought it new and still driving it! Also own two 2015 Audi A3 TDI's and 2014 BMW 328D
According to GPS, 106. Had trouble going faster, it probably would have but each extra MPH was real slow. Stock 2k2 Jetta.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by je:
Mine read 209 (130MPH) once, but I know it wasn't going that fast. I wasn't breaking any laws, not in my own province anyway.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just moved from Ontario. Where were you driving that fast and NOT breaking any laws? Very interested to know.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I figured he was just spinning the tires.

Sam '02 Wagon no top speed runs yet.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Late at night under cover of darkness in the NV desert 127 indicated car still had more. Thats with UPsolute and Dunlop A2 Sports(205/60-15). next trip to the desert maybe I'll give it another shot. There was a former member here who took a pic at 131 on I80 in the wilds of WY.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by je:
My province is here. The highway between Edmonton and Red Deer is in Alberta. I don't really know if it's against the law there, I'd have to ask someone there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well duh!
I lived in Ontario my whole life until 8 months ago. Where did you say it wasn't illegal to go that fast? Here in Alberta the max is 110 on #2 between Calgary and Edmonton.

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Out in the Nevada desert, I went an indicated 124 mph. I had just reached a summit and decided to see how fast I could go downhill.

JohnTDI

TDI
Seat LEON
I went 118mph, but that was in Germany were they don't have a speed limit but an advisory of 81mph...

If I do this in holland they want my car and my license......

John

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
115 M.P.H. in Kansas several weeks ago, I never felt that the car was traveling that fast! So smooth.

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
What's the matter je can't you answer the question for snowman or are you just going to make silly remarks that no one can understand!

[ November 08, 2002, 03:23: Message edited by: nelly2400 ]

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
134 on a long flat to slightly inclined stretch of intrastate. Speed verified and recorded by a Garmin GPS V.

I have shown a faster indicated but I was on a slight downhill grade that time. When I get the chance I am going to make another full speed run and log my fuel consumption with vag-com as well.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by je:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here in Alberta the max is 110 on #2 between Calgary and Edmonton.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that's Alberta, does that make it km or miles? Oh wait, I guess that's speeding too.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, 110 is the legal limit here. So are you going to enlighten us, and let us know where you drove that fast?

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by osidak:
134 on a long flat to slightly inclined stretch of intrastate. Speed verified and recorded by a Garmin GPS V.

I have shown a faster indicated but I was on a slight downhill grade that time. When I get the chance I am going to make another full speed run and log my fuel consumption with vag-com as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine pulled 135 at the redline in 5th, that was it.

Fast&Far

I rented a Fiat Punto TDI in Italy and did 185kph/115mph between Venice and Milan going wide open. Can't remember how long I kept it at that speed, but no less than 45 minutes. I would never do this to my own vehicle, I just wanted to know what would happen if....
A gasser could have never done this without damage, I'm sure. I love diesels!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Re: Top Speed? *DELETED*

Post deleted by jasonTDI

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
ummm 180km/h, and thats with upp. wouldnt go past like 3500rpm in 5th, hmmmm. my timing is 45/90, something to do with the problem?

venom

TDI
2000 JETTA SILVER
115 mph stock 2000 jetta in jersey had to slow down do to traffic

volksviggen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS ,blue
I went 118mph, but that was in Germany were they don't have a speed limit but an advisory of 81mph
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heheh- I remember going back into Holland from Germany,and seeing a sign ONLY in German saying,"We are checking your speed."

My stock Golf has been up to 120.