Auto Tranny Shift Hesitation And Extreme Vibration

npretnar

TDI
2007 Jetta TDI
Hi all, new to the forum. I'm more of a Mercedes diesel guy myself, but my girlfriend has a 2007 Jetta TDI that I drive frequently. I own an an 83 300CD on which I do most of the maintenance work myself.

Anyway, the issue ...

The 07 Jetta TDI has 66K on it most of which has been highway driving. The last couple thousand miles the automatic transmission has been really herky-jerky in shifting gears especially 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 6. The car shakes and vibrates extremely for about a five second period revved above 3000 RPM, and then when you back off the throttle a little, it tries to upshift but hesitates. In fact, it might actually be upshifting for a brief second and subsequently downshifting, for example, from 3 to 4 and then quickly back down to 3 and back and forth, not holding that fourth gear until you back off the throttle really a lot and then floor it real quick to sort of push it through the gear shift.

She thinks it's a transmission issue, though the fluid was just recently changed at the dealer and the car has so few miles that I'm inclined to think otherwise. The other morning I took the car out for a spin (temperature below 20F, so I let it warm up for about ten minutes), just to examine the issue a bit more closely. I particularly noticed that the hesitation and vibration are rather violent when the vehicle is cold. After warm up, say ten miles of driving or so, the problem goes away. This is consistent, though she has said that every once in a while, while attempting to accelerate at highway speeds with the car already warm, she has noticed minor hesitancy and vibration but nothing to the extent as when it is cold.

Disinclined to simply take the vehicle to the dealer and throw money at it, I thought about potential problems which could be causing something like this to occur and I asked her if she had has fuel filters ever changed? She didn't think so and recent records do not indicate that such has ever happened. Also not, she has never used cetane additives of any sort nor biodiesel. Nonetheless, a clogged fuel filter could conceivably cause such a loss of power issue as the problem is quite similar to what once happened on my 300CD when i had an extremely plugged pre filter and discovered a layer of algae in the fuel tank.

My question, does anyone here know of any transmission or shifting problems on the 2007 Jetta TDI? If so, could you please inform me.

Thanks,
Nick

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
Nick,
Check out Dual mass flywheel (DMF) failures. You can check for noise (look for youtube videos on this one. Otherwise, the method for checking is to pull the starter and check the flywheel for play. It's two halves which should have less than 10 mm (less than 1/2 inch) rotational play. There's also a nice you tube video on this one too. I chad mine checked at a dealership for 90 bucks. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Avoid what happened to me...the darned thing exploded and took out my tranny $6K worth of repair.:eek:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
EDIT: if you're near St. Louis, member OilHammer will take good care of you.

Nick, it's a good idea to read-up and diagnose the condition of her DMF, but I can confirm checking play from the starter hole is not absolute. Better to listen for it, as documented in many threads. Most importantly, this is not her drivability issue. Most likely is fuel related and you're on target regarding the filter. Then next area of focus is weak lift or tandem pump... great write-ups for these, also.

If fuel system is fine, then look to the turbo and other intake components (erratic ASV, MAF & MAP sensors). IIRC, even a bad temp sensor can cause this. Turbo vanes can stick and vane actuator can be weak or lose full motion. Most of these issues will not throw a DTC code, but the VCDS scan tool can be used to test each component.

Get the car scanned for codes. Most of the above fuel issues will not throw a code, but some intake/turbo issues will. Find a local VCDS owner if you don't have one and offer them a free lunch (see owners list in General Discussions area). Best to have all test procedures handy.

BTW, it's not a 2007 -- even if build date was that year. Is officially a 2006, due to gummit restrictions.

If you want to do all the wrenching for her, you'll need to invest numerous hours here getting up to speed. Can be a daunting task if this is your first go at a TDI, so feel free to post more questions and we'll point in the right directions.

Last edited: