06 stock dsg getting 32.8

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
So it's a stock, 2006 BRM DSG with 95,000 and counting. So I drive about a 50 mile round trip form the house to school and driving it nice or hard it gets the same 32.8 mpg. The egr cooler is leaking pretty bad, but i didnt think that was suppose to hurt the mileage that bad. I dont have a vagcom to check out anything. I've been thinking I need to do the zip tie trick cause it does have a surge of power after about 2200 rpm. Any advice of what to look at would be great.

jsharum

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
EGR cooler will hurt because its basically a boost leak. Fix that first and go from there. Im betting your air filter is coal black from the cooler leak too.

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
thanks for the heads

just got the malone tune to delete the egr and the block off plates so hopefully this weekend I can fix the leak and clean the air filter. Hopefully it runs better and gets better fuel mileage

jsharum

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
keep me up to date on your mileage please. I have the same car with EGR delete and Malone tune and I cant get over 35 mpg. Anywhere from 33-35 and I cant figure it out. Been fighting it for 6 months. Cam has some wear but not enough to cause this I don't think. I have a new cam and parts waiting for time or a good reason to install. Enjoy getting that cooler off. Its a real PITA!

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just make sure you unplug the EGR valve afterward to prevent ASV throttling. There are two reasons it can hurt MPG after a delete if you don't do so.

jsharum

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I can say after unplugging my EGR post tune it made no difference. Ive lost a lot of hair over this poor mileage deal.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Depends on the driving cycle. It would matter more for steady-state highway or rural roadway driving. Nothing can save you if you're stuck in stop and go.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I would inspect your camshaft again only next time take a good look at your lifters. I just replaced my camshaft and while I did have wear on the lobes, my lifters were cupped too. One was probably a few hundred miles from breaking though it was so thin. All 4 exhaust lifters had lost about 1/16th of an inch in total on center as well as with the lobes giving a total loss in lift of about 1/8th of an inch. One way to tell if your lifters are cupped is to check for wear marks on your injector lobes.

The cam did not look that bad when I first looked at it. Mileage was down around 30 too. With the new camshaft things are looking better.

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
I've heard that replacing the valve cover gasket can be a PITA, but I guess it's time to take it off and check the cam and lifters out.

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
i have an 06 Beetle TDi with 86K miles on the clocks and i been getting around 32-36MPG
and it was driving me nuts. i did the diesel purge then added amsoil injector cleaner to a 2 full tanks of B20. replaced fuel filter.
last thursday i just replace a very bad wheel bearing on the front driver side, new tires, wheel alignment and cleaned the brake calipers slide to make sure my brake pads are not sticking.
now i am waiting to until next fill-up to calculate the MPG again to see how much of an improvement i have made. so far it seem to improve, the fuel gauge is higher for the same miles as before.

no smoke under load but i installed an oil catch can to catch any oil from blow-by from the CCV so i know my intake is clean

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
let me know how that all worked out for you. the CCV catch can sounds like a good idea cause my whole intake system is def. nasty from oil and carbon.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
So it's a stock, 2006 BRM DSG with 95,000 and counting. So I drive about a 50 mile round trip form the house to school and driving it nice or hard it gets the same 32.8 mpg. The egr cooler is leaking pretty bad, but i didnt think that was suppose to hurt the mileage that bad. I dont have a vagcom to check out anything. I've been thinking I need to do the zip tie trick cause it does have a surge of power after about 2200 rpm. Any advice of what to look at would be great.
There is something wrong with your car. A VCDS would help you figure out what wrong.

i have an 06 Beetle TDi with 86K miles on the clocks and i been getting around 32-36MPG
and it was driving me nuts. i did the diesel purge then added amsoil injector cleaner to a 2 full tanks of B20. replaced fuel filter.
last thursday i just replace a very bad wheel bearing on the front driver side, new tires, wheel alignment and cleaned the brake calipers slide to make sure my brake pads are not sticking.
now i am waiting to until next fill-up to calculate the MPG again to see how much of an improvement i have made. so far it seem to improve, the fuel gauge is higher for the same miles as before.

no smoke under load but i installed an oil catch can to catch any oil from blow-by from the CCV so i know my intake is clean
What type of driving you do?

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
No doubt there is something going wrong. I hate to think that it being just a time factor that the cam and lifters are bad.

As for my driving I sometimes take the car to school which is about 25 miles each way but it 65mph light to light and then my girl friend takes the car to work usually and thats just 2.5 miles down the road. So I can see where the milage can suffer on that short of a drive. A fill up still usually last us about a week which is better than the old car we had.

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
Short trips and driving style can make a difference. The convenience (or however you see it) of the DSG will also have a slight impact.

If i were in your position, i would consider running diesel purge to clean the injectors, dump the leftover fuel in the fuel filter canister and install a new filter.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have a '04 BEW with DSG and my little car gets between 38.5 to 42 mpg. It is stock and had to put a new Trans and drive shafts in last year (Couldn't get a new mechtronic unit at the time) and my son opened the air box up because the snow filter kept getting stopped up. It has 160k miles on the clock and put new brakes and disc in the spring and keep the oil changed with Rotella T6. Keep your tires aired up to 40 to 45 psi and keep clean filters in the air and fuel. The best tool is your right foot. I have been doing a test after reading about the Audi A3 mileage competition on Yahoo News last week. I have 200 miles on the tank and still am 1 mark fron1/4 tank down. (do have a ventectomy on filler tube, I fill up until the fuel is at the top of the filler neck and stays there). I am shifting out at 2000 rpm and keeping the speed at 55 or less. My last tank was 40 mpg around town and I "drove it like I stole it" the whole time.

Last edited:

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have a '04 BEW with DSG and my little car gets between 38.5 to 42 mpg. It is stock and had to put a new Trans and drive shafts in last year (Couldn't get a new mechtronic unit at the time) and my son opened the air box up because the snow filter kept getting stopped up. It has 160k miles on the clock and put new brakes and disc in the spring and keep the oil changed with Rotella T6. Keep your tires aired up to 40 to 45 psi and keep clean filters in the air and fuel. The best tool is your right foot. I have been doing a test after reading about the Audi A3 mileage competition on Yahoo News last week. I have 200 miles on the tank and still am 1 mark fron1/4 tank down. (do have a ventectomy on filler tube, I fill up until the fuel is at the top of the filler neck and stays there). I am shifting out at 2000 rpm and keeping the speed at 55 or less. My last tank was 40 mpg around town and I "drove it like I stole it" the whole time.
Those are two completely opposite thoughts...you cant drive it like you stole and shift at 2000rpms...

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
In my 3 years with my TDI the best mileage has come when I remain in a gear where there's boost. Those who say that staying out of boost is best for MPG are off the mark. It's what increases swirl and proper a/f mixing in the cylinder. Leaving the DSG in auto during city driving might be counterproductive to that end.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I can say after unplugging my EGR post tune it made no difference. Ive lost a lot of hair over this poor mileage deal.
Then it's something else. Throttling the engine without EGR will definitely make a difference toward the negative side of things.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Those are two completely opposite thoughts...you cant drive it like you stole and shift at 2000rpms...
My previous tank I drove it like a mad man and got 600 miles on that tank. This tank I am trying what the hyper milers were doing in the Yahoo article by shifting @2000 rpm and keeping my speed down. At 3/8s of a tank I was at 320 miles and am hoping to get close to 700 miles on this tank by driving easy.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My previous tank I drove it like a mad man and got 600 miles on that tank. This tank I am trying what the hyper milers were doing in the Yahoo article by shifting @2000 rpm and keeping my speed down. At 3/8s of a tank I was at 320 miles and am hoping to get close to 700 miles on this tank by driving easy.
Ah got it.

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Ah got it.
Yup, makes sense now. :)

jsharum

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Ive ordered a new factory thermostat. I dont think my engine is getting hot enough. Hoping this makes a difference.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Filled up Saturday am and it took 15.2 gal. to fill up to the top of the tank. I drove this tank like I was in a funeral (in town driving only) and ended up with 661.5 miles. Works out to 43.5 mpg. I am going to try a to do better on this tank and hit 700. I came within 39 miles of that goal. I did get to have some fun Friday night when I had to go to the grocery store. Some kid on a motorcycle stayed on my bumper with high beams on. We got caught at a stop light and I decided to blow the carbon that had accumulated from 600 miles of driving easy. For the first 100 feet I couldn't see him from all of the crud that came out. Needless to say he backed off and put his lights back on low.