Terra clean??

Jacky bar

TDI
97 Audi a4 b5 afn 110
High,
Just a quick question about terra clean,
Has anybody had a terra clean done to there car?
And if so what are the real benefits?

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
We'll See

I just had this done. For a four year old car, mine is probably about as clean as it gets. Canadian premium diesel with PowerService on every fill-up since I drove it off the lot, or if I'm driving in the US it gets a double dose.

Dealer: We offer this Terra Diesel Cleaning service for your fuel system and EGR, etc.
Me: Huh? This is a VW-sanctioned diesel cleaning service?
Dealer: Absolutely.
Me: And this will in no way harm my DPF?
Dealer: It will not, in fact it is good for your DPF.
Me: (thinking: ***? How can this be good for my DPF? Anyway, if anything goes wrong, I'm coming after them over it).
Me: Go ahead. Knock yourselves out.

You can find more info about the products and services here: http://terraclean.net/service.php?ids=10

They did both the EGR and induction systems cleaning, and then they also applied the minor service (which is additives!!) to my fuel. I know this because not only was it on the invoice, but they had to get my key from me to unlock my fuel cap. To put a fine point on it: This is VW selling and recommending two different additives for your fuel...

I've kept track of the fuel economy of my car since it was new, so I will be able to tell you in a few months if it has made any difference in that respect. I know they are doing this because it makes them money (and they have invested in the equipment), but I'm wondering if a secondary reason is to minimize the number of warrantee claims on things like the HPFP. They get you to pay for the service and it reduces their risk.

As I said, time will tell. I don't mind being the Guinea Pig on this one.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Me: Huh? This is a VW-sanctioned diesel cleaning service?
Dealer: Absolutely.
I would like to see the documentation stating that this (or any other "treatment") is sanctioned by VW. I talking about VW Corporate, VWoA, or VWoC. I don't doubt that it is sanctioned by your VW dealer. Profit is profit no matter what they are selling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the products. These products might be great stuff and they might even be good for our cars. I just have serious doubt that VW Corporate has officially sanctioned any additives or treatments.

Have Fun!

Don

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I would like to see the documentation stating that this (or any other "treatment") is sanctioned by VW. I talking about VW Corporate, VWoA, or VWoC.
I totally hear what you are saying Don, and the same thing crossed my mind. My thoughts at the time were that a VW Dealer was "recommending" a fuel and fuel system treatment (one of VW Canada's highest rated dealerships), and given the understood sensitivity of the CR fuel systems they would be out of their minds to do this without VWs approval.

For giggles I'm going to call VWoC on Monday and ask them. Will report back.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
As promised I submitted a question regarding this to VW Canada through their web site contact form on Monday. I've heard absolutely nothing from them since. I'm surmising that the answer is "no, it is not sanctioned" as "yes it is" wouldn't take them four days to sort out.

If I still haven't heard anything by next week I'll try my luck with a phone call.

Jacky bar

TDI
97 Audi a4 b5 afn 110
I got mine terracleaned a while ago it made a massive difference on more modern cars the difference you get from the dpf and egr clean is unreal.