Oil additive

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Is it OK to put Liqui Moly SO2 in a Q7 TDI? Is this going to mess up the DPF?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
The 507 spec oil needs no further additives. Its easily adequate fot 10k OCIs alone. Don't waste your money.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Our engines require low SAPS (Sulfated Ash, Phosphorous Sulfur) motor oil. Is this additive guaranteed to be low in ash and phosphorous, & sulfur? If not, it could damage and/or shorten the life of your emissions system components. This could get to be very expensive. The correct oil is a very good specially blended synthetic motor oil. Make sure you always use the correct oil and don't worry about additives.

Have Fun!

Don

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Our engines require low SAPS (Sulfated Ash, Phosphorous Sulfur) motor oil. Is this additive guaranteed to be low in ash and phosphorous, & sulfur? If not, it could damage and/or shorten the life of your emissions system components. This could get to be very expensive. The correct oil is a very good specially blended synthetic motor oil. Make sure you always use the correct oil and don't worry about additives.

Have Fun!

Don

... Well Put :)

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I know very little about oil. I do know that the Mobil 1 ESP has some special formulation to help extend the life of the DPF. I don't know what is so special about this oil. Everything M1 sells is "outstanding" and "exceptional". Then I run across companies like LN Engineering and flat6innovations that swear by Joe Gibbs oil and will not use M1 factory spec'ed oil even if the owner requested it. They have some pretty strong off the record opinions against M1.
I am not trying to solve any problem with my Q7. I want to put additives and friction modifiers if they are beneficial and if they will not mess up the DPF. There are opinions regarding extended OCI's. Some say it's deadly to go 10,000 miles, some swear by doing it more often. Some say follow the manufacturer's recommendation. Consumer Reports says there is no advantage to changing a taxi's motor oil more often than the recommended OCI.
AUDI's Q7 calls for a 507.00 spec oil, which is what ESP is. I have been using it for the past 110K miles on this Q7.
I have a 2005 VW Passat TDI with 235K miles. I followed the 10K OCI using the recommended 505.01 oil. No problems. There are other owners that say they change every 5,000 and STILL have issues.
I suppose additives are like vitamins and organic food; It's all about marketing. But like I mentioned, every oil out there is "outstanding and exceptional".
Thanks, and I will not use this additive or any on the Q7.