Seventh-generation VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And, EA211 isn't replacing EA113 or EA888 gas engines (which are 88 mm bore spacing).

It's replacing EA111 gas engines, which have always been 82 mm bore spacing. But, VW's press material has been oriented towards the European market, and in that market, you literally have to get a GTI or R to get a Golf with a gas engine that isn't EA111 - everything else is either 1.4 16v NA, 1.2 8v TSI, 1.4 16v FSI, or the BiFuel that can run LPG is 1.6 8v NA.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thanks for the link! Looks like VAG finally put a better multi-link chain in the new 1.8L FSI from the pic, not the single-roller crap. Hopefully that will make it last a while.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
To me the picture looks just like the current 2.0T Valve Lift motor used in the B8 A4. Having driven one recently I can say that the motor is very deceiving about its power and feels much stronger with very broad torque. Also drove a APR chipped car and it made a ton of power in chipped guise with a A/T 8spd tranny. This is the motor they should have used in the new Passat vs the 2.5L. Also I wish they would just put the 1.4T sans the hybrid stuff in the base Golf, even thou the 2.5 is pretty reliable it gets about the same MPG in real world as my 3.2 VR6.

Will update as more info shows up.

oilhammer

TDI
I see a lot of vacuum pumps failing (leaking) on the 2.5L, and of course it seems just about all the Aisin autoboxes they are bolted to need a valve body sooner or later. VW extended the warranty on those, but after 100k you are on your own for a $1500 repair.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
you are correct about the vacuum pump, my friend just got a Bug 'Vert for his daughter and he pump is leaking...
I'm trying to get my mom into a 2.5 Golf as she don't need a GTi nor do I want to keep checking oil on the older FSi oil burners... seems like FSi are like the MKIV 2.0 with piston ring issues.

oilhammer

TDI
Hehe, yeah, but a set of rings will fix it. Seems the AEG was the worst offender, the AVH/AZG/BEV are not nearly as bad. I can do a ring job on one in a day, drive it in, drive it out (so long as we are not messing with the head).

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Separate cooling circuits for head n crankcase.... Ya Nissan tried that with a QR25DE and most of them have head gasket issues my 100k.

Put in a Aux heater in the cabin like on the MKV TDi and be done with it.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Separate cooling circuits for head n crankcase.... Ya Nissan tried that with a QR25DE and most of them have head gasket issues my 100k.

Put in a Aux heater in the cabin like on the MKV TDi and be done with it.
Yep....Oh boy. These will be fun to fix in the future...Not. I can see some serious repair bills coming.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
At least give them a chance. Every new(er) or different tech has the potential to have faults, but we can't expect improved cars without change (trying new things). Don't assume it will be a failure before they even leave the starting blocks. Engineers deserve a little more respect than this. Not every new device they come up with fails... If new ideas were never implemented, we'd still be driving vehicles w wooden wheels or 2 cycle engines.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
At least give them a chance. Every new(er) or different tech has the potential to have faults, but we can't expect improved cars without change (trying new things). Don't assume it will be a failure before they even leave the starting blocks. Engineers deserve a little more respect than this. Not every new device they come up with fails... If new ideas were never implemented, we'd still be driving vehicles w wooden wheels or 2 cycle engines.
AMEN to that. Never seen so many doomsayers posting on one forum. Negative, negative and negative.

When I'm at the Bentley garage I see those 200,000 dollar wonders up on the lift having things done just like a VW. It's machine and it can have problems.

Move on...........:(

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
However, one of those Bentleys costs a HELL of a lot more to run than, say, our old ALH machines.

When a new TDI costs closer to a Bentley to run than an ALH to run, there's a problem.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I hope VW does more engineering than Nissan does.... they have lost a faithful- me about 10 years ago. Owned many Sentra SE-Rs and G20s in my early days.

We shall see what happens in the future.

oilhammer

TDI
AMEN to that. Never seen so many doomsayers posting on one forum. Negative, negative and negative.

When I'm at the Bentley garage I see those 200,000 dollar wonders up on the lift having things done just like a VW. It's machine and it can have problems.

Unfortunately, those of us that have actually been around VAG products of all types over the last 30 years tend to watch what they try new with great reservation. They've had some real turds that looked promising at first. The Waterboxer. The 16v engines. The G60. Many of these early versions of things proved to be quite a nuisance. I'm Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I know better than to shrug off new things with a "that'll be fine" way of thinking. :p

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Unfortunately, those of us that have actually been around VAG products of all types over the last 30 years tend to watch what they try new with great reservation. They've had some real turds that looked promising at first. The Waterboxer. The 16v engines. The G60. Many of these early versions of things proved to be quite a nuisance. I'm Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I know better than to shrug off new things with a "that'll be fine" way of thinking. :p
Oilhammer, I really enjoy your posts, but sometimes I wonder, what do you like about VW? I tend to see more negative stuff on VW than positive stuff, yet in the same breath you often say they're such great cars. :)

jasonTDI

TDI

uh huh...sure. Come see some of the daily design blunder I fix daily...

jasonTDI

TDI
Oilhammer, I really enjoy your posts, but sometimes I wonder, what do you like about VW? I tend to see more negative stuff on VW than positive stuff, yet in the same breath you often say they're such great cars. :)
When they work right they are great GERMAN cars. And they are in a price range affordable to most people unlike their other German brothers.

oilhammer

TDI
I like the way they look, even the 412. I like they way they function after many, many miles and many years. I like the trend-setting bits the Germans put forth, even if it does include teething troubles. I like the relative ease of service and modifications and upgrades available. I like that they build a small car a big guy can fit in. I like the strong enthusiast community that on any front is strong worldwide. I like their wiring diagrams. And above all else, I like the challenge. :D

I'm just perhaps more grounded in reality than some, I don't see the pie in the sky bits that some do. I have found that if you can accept the good WITH the bad, in the end you'll like the cars more. I'll drive them until I am no longer able to drive. The only non-Volkswagens I have ever really owned were/are a segment of vehicle that VW refuses to market here, and if they did, I'd probably never own anything else. Hear that, VOA? Bring me my turbo diesel Doka and Sharan, please! :mad:

Oh, and GTIDan, you do realize 'Bentley' is part of the Volkswagen Group, right? ;)

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I agree with OilH, there German cars are challenging to many technicians and most shops will not even attempt to work on em- was turned down by 2 alarm instal places to get a remote start put in on my wifes MKV GTi DSG. They simply do not want the aggravation.

I've been working on Acuras for the last 10 years now- its my daily grind. Yet I have a house full of VWs, and German bikes. Why ? They have a personality to em vs your normal Asian car. The way Germans design cars it sometime takes a brain surgeon to figure out how to access some of the things, like a oil filter on a older 5V V8 Audi motor- or an EGT sensor on a B5 S4.

ziggy55

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Can anyone say W8? This was another overengineered piece of crap designed by VW. What I see happening here is they want to simplify assembly and production. Although I believe this will come at a cost of reliability and cost of parts to the end user. Will the majority of these modular assemblies be available by individual parts or will they be sold as complete assemblies only, imagine the cost. Also once again we see overenginnering for simplified solutions; eg: two cooling circuits, just imagine the additional control implemented, extra hosing and associated parts, all this that is easily replaced by a simple cabin heater. Also when will all this new technology be tested, probably in the field as VW is use to performing at the cost of the consumer. We are seeing signs of this now, HPFP, intercooler, lp EGR, all issues arrising from lack of testing and time to test.

oilhammer

TDI
And the W12, and W16, and.... yeah, VAG tends to overengineer many things, only to find they underengineered it when it gets into the marketplace. They have had some really interesting things, though, and many things get copied by others. The complexity can be daunting, which is why the things they do that are simple and hold up so well often get overlooked. People, especially the TDI crowd, love to bag on the poor SOHC cross-flow 2.0L engines, but those are actually the simplest, most reliable engines they have. Yes, even simpler than the VE TDI (by far).

But when those W engines work, they work beautifully! A W12 Phaeton is a really, really nice ride! :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

yep. just how I feel as well...seems to know his stuff but very quick to criticize both members of the club and VAG anything except maybe the ALH....

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
"over-engineered" is an oxymoron. The best engineering solves a problem with the LEAST amout of complexity and cost possible. I think when people say "over-engineered" what they really mean is "over-complex", which IS a problem. Any time one tries to overcome a basic engineering shortcoming with additional engineered "band-aids" there will be trouble on the horizon due to the fact that, as complexity increases, the fault matrix has many more fault possibilities. By way of disclosure, I am a mechanical engineer.

Also, as to the W8 & W12 engine layouts, there is nothing inherently negative about those layouts, on the contrary they are a very space-efficient layout. The execution of the total engine package is what you have to look at.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, semantics aside, the W engines do have some merit. But in the case of the W8 in the B5 Passat... it performed no better than the 2.7L biturbo V6 in the Audi A4, cost more to build, used more fuel, and is almost impossible to repair (within a reasonable budget). Because VAG sells nothing for it below the head gaskets. And its 3 cam chain phasers, located at the rear of the block, require the entire driveline be removed from the car to access.

And I just had to tell some poor guy that his 3.2L V[R]6 T'reg needed its thermostat housing and 'crack pipe' replaced, because its plastic self is warped and leaking. That job also requires engine removal. For a thermostat. Come on! You can call it under engineering, over engineering, whatever, stuff like that is just plain dumb. No reason for it.

But it is not just Volkswagen. You should see the BS you have to go through to deal with the stupid HID voltage supply boxes on an Infiniti G's headlamp system. Gotta pull the whol front bumper cover off because of one screw, then you have to remove the battery and unclip and lift out the body lighting control module from buried inside the inner fender, wiring harness and all, to replace the TINY little fuse that blows when the HID box dies. And you do not even want to know how expensive the parts are.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
It seems like all the car companies are trying to out-do each other with new engines and advanced technology, more so than ever before. It must be difficult to keep current if you're a mechanic/tech. If the diesel Cruze and Mazda Sky-D come here, who's going to work on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.