HELP!!! AAZ Engine???

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Hello,

Just did my first oil change and oil is squirting everywhere off top of oil filter when engine is running.

I have a box of Six Mann W 840/2 oil filters ordered online from a TDIClub approved vendor. They do seem to be slightly smaller than the Firestone, (yes, Firestone), oil filter that came off the car.

Deeply puzzled, I entered my VIN Number into Bentley CD Manual and it reports that I have an "AAZ" 1.9L Engine due to "F" in the 5th digit of the VIN number... "3VWRF...."

I bought the car recently, used, checked on CarFax and it listed it as an American Car first registered in Denver in 1998, transferred to Salt Lake City in 2001 and now I have it.

Yes, I did a forum search, but the posts all talk about "AAZ" engines being from Canada only, eh?

Any advice? Does 1998 Jetta with AAZ use same oil filter as 1.9L TDI?

Do I understand correctly that the AAZ is in fact NOT a TDI but older technology?

Help? :eek:

cowboyjack

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
howdy, jack. The AAZ was a Canada engine and not sold in the USA. The filter could very well be the same. Oil should not be squirting about. Did you check the mating surface to ensure it was clean and smooth?

Diesel on !

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
still leaking

Thanks guys!

I looked around on the Internet at several more VIN decoders and the "F" in the 5th digit seems to indicate a "TDI" regardless of what the Bentley says? Interesting.

And, my Jetta does have the plastic engine cover with TDI on it and NO throttle cable, etc. Thanks for the help. New to TDIs and there was a small moment of panic as I regarded the Bentley as the gospel.

I tried another filter just in case I had a bad one, mating surfaces are clean, no extra gasket, refilled the engine, started it up and same result. It is SQUIRTING oil from the top of the filter on the left side as you look into the engine bay from the front. Got me stumped for now...

I might take the Firestone brand oil filter that was already on the car into the dealer parts department and see if we can figure anything out.

There's not some missing filter gasket besides the intrinsic rubber one built into the top of the spin on oil filter, is there?

Thanks again. I had hoped to be taking a ride rather than mopping up oil this afternoon.

cowboyjack

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
You have a 1.9 L TDI not an IDI

The 1Z TDI A3 Jettas started being sold in the US late in the 96 model year . Thjey were sold in the A3 96 , 97 , 98 , until March of 99 as a 99 model year car .

My guess is that you have a TDI not an IDI . The 1.9 IDI was never sold in a car in the US . But many have been transplanted in the old A2s & B2s over the last 10 years to replace the origional 1.6 L D & TD .

I bet you have a 1Z under the hood . Post a picture of the engine and you will have your answer very quickly .

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Oh and there is at least 1 late 94 or early 95 that was the VWAG tester for north America . I do know the car was still here in the US as of late 98 .

And on your filter leak it sounds like the old gasket stayed attached to the gasket plate after the old filter was removed . Check and see if you have 2 gaskets together causing the leaking issue .

As I use the the same filter on my 94 1.9 L IDI "AZZ" as on my 1.9 TDI Passat "1Z" engine .

Last edited:

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Well, without seeing your car, I will go out on a limb and say that you definately have a TDI. I used to own an IDI and currently have a TDI. Double check the o-rings for the cap on the oil filter. Either you have 2 or none or one got pinched.

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
stiiiiillll leaking

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a TDI, the Bentley Manual VIN decode on the CD REALLY threw me on that one!

Checked the oil cooler locknut, yup it was loose. Tightened it up to approx 25 NM or whatever the Bentley said... put on the Mann Oil filter... STILL leaking. Ugh!

It is definitely leaking out of one top side of the filter, on the left when leaning into the engine bay from the front.

It seems like the Mann oil filter is simply not seating properly against the oil cooler. I put the Firestone one back on and it seems to work okay. Hunh????

Did another search on the Forum.

Think I'll try purchasing a Fram Oil Filter? Or pull the oil cooler, replace the gasket and nut and try again?

Nothing like 100 degree Tucson heat and a little oil in the afternoon.

j.c.

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
one last time

Thanks again for all the help.

I tried ONE more time...

Put the original Firestone brand oil filter back on... NO leaks whatsoever.

Put the Mann W 840/2 and it leaks like a PIG!

Ideas?

cowboyjack

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jack, must be a bad batch of filters. I've used that MANN P/N many times on our 1996 Passat and I have had a leak, not once.

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
about to give up

Thanks again, you all are an amazing resource.

I went by Firestone, got a NEW oil filter, same part number as the one that was on the car when I got it. Put the new Firestone filter on, and... it leaks like a PIG!

Put the OLD Firestone filter that came with the store back on... no leaks....

I reckon whoever changed the oil last (Firestone) did something... is it possible to tighten a filter on tight enough to sorta bend the oil cooler just a bit? Maybe indent the cooler just enough to let the oil leak out on a normal filter tightened to normal specs?

(I've been changing oil in cars for some thirty-five years now... never quite had one like this....)

What's next... pull the cooler?

At least I have my sense of humour back about the whole thing. After nine hours and four gallons of wasted oil on a simple oil change, you gotta laugh at yourself.

cowboyjack

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You know what? I must've gotten the SAME bad batch of Mann filters, as I have a couple here that were doing the exact same thing on a 1.8t Passat (Volkswagen has a TSB to put the diesel oil filter on the 1.8t due to oil sludging problems). I thought something crazy was going on, too, but put a couple right off the shelf on and got the same results. Put a Volkswagen filter on and no leaks.

I've since installed one of those new "defective" filters on my '91 Jetta and it appears to be fine, however I'm sure after 380k miles my '91 maybe does not have the oil pressure that 100k mile 1.8t or your TDI has, so maybe that is why it is not leaking.

I've used Mann filters for years, never had a problem until now, but you're not the only one.

If you don't mind, could you PM or email me with your online vendor so I can let them all know there may be a run of defective 840/2 filters?

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks again.

I'm about to go out a try again.

Might go by the dealer and get a VW filter per OilHammer and try that before I pull the cooler and stud off.

No, there isn't any old O-ring stuck on the oil cooler. I can see the mating surface on the cooler and it is shiny and pretty smooth. Thanks for the idea, though.

I tried three different Mann filters (all same part number) and the same Mann twice and a Firestone (yeah I know) with the same part number as the one that was on there -- all of 'em leak except the original Firestone filter that was already on there from an oil change predating my ownership of the Jetta. I can put the original Firestone back on and no leaks.

Weird, eh?

Alloq

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Blue
Oil filter leaks Mann 840/2

Guys,

I have a similar issue with some Mann 840/2 filters I got from Impex about 2 months ago. 1998 TDI 1Z engine. I have another thread going on the 840/2 leaks.

I change filters from underneith so I can see everything. Oil cooler surface is fine as in all oil changes I've done. Far as I can tell the filters are leaking where the sheet metal filter body is crimped to the filter top where the gasket and threads are located. I am only seeing what looks like weeping of oil from this joint. At highway speed it does run down the filter and drip onto the belly pan, then later onto my garage floor.

I replaced the first filter after a couple days. Got the same result. I had ordered 3 filters all at the same time, I'm afraid trying the 3rd one would be a waste of time so I found a Fram filter and installed it about June 12th. Got at least 2000 miles on since and no leaks.

Al

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mann has produced a run fo defective filters. There is nothing wrong with any of these cars.

Just save the filters and send them back to whom you got them from. The two filter resellers that I know of that have sold these filters have been in contact with their supplier, and I am sure by now the info has gotten back to Mann.

There are far more defective filters out there globally than we know of here I'll bet. So I would stop using this Mann part number until it is sorted out.

Again, there is nothing wrong with your car, your oil cooler, your threads, etc. It is a bad batch of Mann filters.

Alloq

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Blue
Filter leaks

Oilhammer,

You're probably right about multiple filters being a possible issue. When the first filter leaked I went off to the local VW dealer to get a VW filter. What they pulled out of the box (I think it was Bosch) was exactly the same as a Mann 840/2. Top of the filter the same, indentations for gripping at the bottom the same. I could see no difference other than about $6 so I went back home and tried the second filter, and got another leaker.

Al

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Yup,

All of you all were a BIG help, especially OilHammer.

I got an OEM VW filter from the dealer, looks just like a Mann 840/2, put it on and... NO leaks, not a dribble, not a drop... and I had GUSHING oil coming out the top of the Mann filters, three in a row... since it was my first oil change with this TDI, I was really thrown for a loop.

p.s. My TDIclub approved vendor is sending me replacement filters of a different brand and sending UPS to pick up the bad ones. What more could you ask for?