RVC for Golf S

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
I didn't see enough justification for the SE or SEL trims so I got an S trim TDI. The only thing I wish I had sometimes is the rear view camera. I checked with the dealership just to get a ballpark price point and they said they can't install the RVC on an S. I see some aftermarket options out there but was wondering if anybody has had success installing one and if there are any published tutorials/DIY's. It's more of a nice-to-have but there are some instances where based on the size and angle of the back window, visibility is a little poor when backing up/backing out. Thanks.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I love my backup camera, but find this one to be rather dark at night compared to prior vehicles. Not sure if that is due to tiny reverse lights, but worth considering if the aftermarket has better options. Maybe I just need to invest in LED bulbs.

mdroid86

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (sold)
well it showed up on thursday! only 4 days after ordering, i have it 3/4 of the way installed, I'm just waiting for the radio removal tools to come in (could not find them locally), just need to pin it and vag com it! will let you know soon!

mdroid86

TDI
What was your cost in U.S. $ ?
total came to $444.49 including shipping from Poland. This was cheapest price i found anywhere. i was originally going to order from an eBay seller from Australia, which was $460.00 plus about $30 shipping. I installed the other day, but had to order the european radio removal keys and wait for them to get in before i could finish. got it all working today! pretty happy with it.

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
That's great. For that price, I'm planning on doing the same. Basically plug and play and weave the cable through that car?

mdroid86

TDI
Yes, it was a bit of a pain, the instructions were in a foreign language, but the pictures help. Had to take the whole trim off the hatch, swap out the emblem, splice a trigger wire to the reverse light, run the cable, stick the pins in the radio and tap power, then code.