Tried Motorkote for the first time

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 Speed
I don't know how many people on here have used Motorkote, but I put it in my oil for the first time a few thousand miles ago and I'm impressed! I drive a 2006 jetta wagon (mk4) and thought this might help with cam wear as I have heard that was a fairly common issue with these BEW engines. I have also heard that it is supposed to increase fuel economy. I have put over 50,000 miles on this car since owning it, and I have recorded every drop of fuel I have put through it so far. before using Motorkote I averaged 47.4 mpg. Since using Motorkote I have had 5 tanks of 50 mpg or higher including my best tank of 53.4 mpg. And only two tanks below my average 47.4 (those were both over a weekend when my wife would have the car around town!)'

Just thought I would share my experience with you all!

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Snake oil is right. Don't you think that if there was some 'magic elixir' that increased the fuel economy of a vehicle by adding it to the oil that the oil manufactures would be all over it and incorporate that into their oil formulas?

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
Snake oil or not, it works. I am just sharing my experience. I couldn't give a crap if anyone else uses it or not.

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta (RC3, PD150 Injectors, GTB1749V, 2.5" Downpipe), 04 Touareg V10 (RC1)
That there's funny...Ol Rattler calls it snake oil...like...uh...Rattler Snake Oil. Sorry...couldn't help myself. Been reading too many witty Oilhammer posts.

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
I just thought I would share the truth...............
How many MPGs did you loose when you tried Motorkote? Or what adverse effects did you experience? If I am harming my engine for the sake of 3-5 MPGs I'll stop using it.

I don't appreciate the implication that I'm a liar. The numbers don't lie. Check the fuely link in my sig.

Last edited:

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Oil can affect the performance of an engine even if you put "snake oil" in the crankcase. The problem is often trade offs of good wear factors and power. I used to run small dirt bikes very hard and would have more climbing power with some oil brands in the crankcase but the reports back then were the higher producing power oils had a higher wear factor in the engine. I really didn't care with the engine would only last about a 1,000 miles but now I care on my cars that I have over 200,000. VW does extensive testing on their engines and so do the oil companies for the best balance. The only way to know the whole story is to see the wear results in a lab chart with controlled road tests and dyno testing. Putting something in the crankcase that gives more mpg is encouraging to know if it works but I would not count on it protecting or helping a BEW engine. I would tend to wonder if it could increase the wear factor and this would not be known or hard to prove on one car never inspected before the change. I watched my neighbor lamenting after he poured a can of "engine overhaul" into a running car and watched the engine self destruct as the valve lifters all plugged up. Motorkote could be a good thing but for me I would rather trust VW and check back to see how your experiment goes years later or see some independent lab tests.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I don't appreciate the implication that I'm a liar. The numbers don't lie. Check the fuely link in my sig.
I looked at the All Fuel-ups Chart and it looks like there might be a small bump up in MPG after mid-October. Hard to see as figures bounce up and down from fill up to fill up. Not a huge sample set either, have to see the chart after several more fill ups.

Here is the problem, though. Your brain knows you put in an additive designed to increase MPG. Subconsciously, you may be going easier on the throttle and that is the reason for a slight increase. No ill intent on your part, human brains are just that way.

I guarantee that if I put plain diesel fuel and a drop of red food coloring in nice bottles, with a professional-looking label and called it "Dr. Johnson's Fuel Max Formula" I'd get plenty of people testifying that they got better mileage while using my product.

At a minimum you need a single blind test (driver doesn't know what additive he's putting in the tank) or better yet, a double-blind test (neither the driver nor the person who tabulates the results know) comparing the test additive against a placebo (plain diesel in identical bottles) before you can properly claim that an additive actually increases MPG. That's the scientific way to validate the claim.

Until someone reputable does that, I call Bolshevik on all such claims...

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
maybe I'll have to stop telling people I increased my MPG by using Motorkote. saying I did with my mind sounds so much cooler. Lol! that's like psychokinesis or something!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
in the medical field, what you are experiencing is called the Placebo Effect.

I looked on the web site and didn't see any SAE or other certifications that qualify the product for usability in engines of any kind.

Something I did find when I Googled Motorkote is someone that has a law suit in the legal system because it destroyed their engine.....................

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Oil can affect the performance of an engine even if you put "snake oil" in the crankcase. The problem is often trade offs of good wear factors and power. I used to run small dirt bikes very hard and would have more climbing power with some oil brands in the crankcase but the reports back then were the higher producing power oils had a higher wear factor in the engine. I really didn't care with the engine would only last about a 1,000 miles but now I care on my cars that I have over 200,000. VW does extensive testing on their engines and so do the oil companies for the best balance. The only way to know the whole story is to see the wear results in a lab chart with controlled road tests and dyno testing. Putting something in the crankcase that gives more mpg is encouraging to know if it works but I would not count on it protecting or helping a BEW engine. I would tend to wonder if it could increase the wear factor and this would not be known or hard to prove on one car never inspected before the change. I watched my neighbor lamenting after he poured a can of "engine overhaul" into a running car and watched the engine self destruct as the valve lifters all plugged up. Motorkote could be a good thing but for me I would rather trust VW and check back to see how your experiment goes years later or see some independent lab tests.
Yes, I switched to Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 (from Syntec 5W-40) and I think I'm seeing a bit better mpg. Time will tell.

df

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
How many MPGs did you loose when you tried Motorkote? Or what adverse effects did you experience? If I am harming my engine for the sake of 3-5 MPGs I'll stop using it.

I believe you are telling the full truth as you know it. I also know that you are mistaken as to why you are getting better mileage. :)

Bill

WizardNH

TDI
2004 Golf
Yakfish, I have also used Motorkote in many different applications: 1998 Volvo N14 Cummins, 1998 Camaro LS1, 2002 Yukon 4.8, JD 48" mower, and a Ford powerstroke.
The Cummins was saved from high heat from thin engine oil, and gained 5% getting it just shy of 7mpg.
The Camaro and Yukon both gained 10-15% in Mileage the Yukon has 176k on it and still shifts great, unfortunately I have a lifter that is gone bad, but that's common in those motors. The Camaro's 6 sp manual shifts a lot smoother, the Ford's transmission dropped 20 degrees (not sure about mileage), and the mower had a god awful knock, bad enough Vegas wouldn't take bets on when it would blow. At about 4 minutes of it idling it is only somewhat noticeable now.
Snake oil? Not in my experience.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You posted here, after all. Don't expect us to agree with your empirical and unproven findings just because you want us to. If Motorcote actually provides less friction, then most likly, the trade off is accelerated bearing surface wear.

Experimenting with non proven additives can damage your engine. Wouldn't the manufacturer use Motorcote if it had any real benefit and didn't damage your engine?

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
You posted here, after all. Don't expect us to agree with your empirical and unproven findings just because you want us to. If Motorcote actually provides less friction, then most likly, the trade off is accelerated bearing surface wear.

Experimenting with non proven additives can damage your engine. Wouldn't the manufacturer use Motorcote if it had any real benefit and didn't damage your engine?
Can you explain how less friction is going to increase bearing wear? Seems to me if 2 parts are generating less friction & heat there should be reduced wear.

bootlegger

TDI
03 Jetta tdi
Haven't put Motorkote in my TDI yet, but I'm a believer too.After unknowingly installing the incorrect gasket I was sold in my 98 Dodge Cummins, I started the engine and let it get to operating temperature while searching for coolant and fuel leaks.She ran a good 10-15 mins with ZERO oil pressure. I believe the engine would have been junk hadn't it been religiously motorkoted over the years.I put 20k miles on it after that and then unfortunately I had to sell.My. 02

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Can you explain how less friction is going to increase bearing wear? Seems to me if 2 parts are generating less friction & heat there should be reduced wear.
It's all speculation, really. You could, at your next oil change, replace one or two of the quarts of oil with gasoline or Diesel. There would be less oil induced friction because the oil is thinner. If you did this, you might even get better mileage but your engine's life would be extremely shortened.

I have seen engines run at WOT for a good 20 minutes with the oil drained out before they seized up. Motorcote probably made zero difference in your Cummins. "I believe" is not proof the product did anything.

What company's like Motorcote do basically is BS folks into believing there product is the greatest thing since sliced bread for their engine without doing any actual scientific testing.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Reading testimonials for products like this makes my head hurt. People believe things are true because they want them to be true. Makes as much sense as saying your car runs better after you wash it. Heck, my car DOES run better after washing!!! Must be true.

There are independent engine labs that can be hired to evaluate these products. Show the lab reports. Outside of a lab (and often inside as well) there are too many loose variables to make any valid claims. No lab report, no valid claim.

UUUGGGHH.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
^^^^^^ What Ski said..........Testimonials mean nothing. Show me the beef. You can believe in Voodoo magic too.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
...People believe things are true because they want them to be true. Makes as much sense as saying your car runs better after you wash it. Heck, my car DOES run better after washing!!! Must be true...
My car runs much better after a bath. If I also vacuum it's worth 20% more good carma. wiping down the dash and console is worth 15% more carma on top of that!

mrcowden

TDI
2011 Golf 4D, 6MT
Put me in the "it's horse$#|+" category as well. Motor oil is a balanced blend of ingredients to achieve the various goals of the engineers that designed the engine and the regulations governing its performance, etc. Adding something to it, unless it's another similarly-formulated motor oil product, by definition throws off the balance. You might gain in one particular area that can be easily demonstrated at a shyster/huckster convention like a fair or a trade show or about 99% of what's on TV, but if they tested all the aspects of the motor oil before and after adding the product, which they can't possibly do in the few seconds they have to get your attention, the end result would almost certainly show serious deficiencies introduced as a direct result of adding their product. And, as has already come up in a bajillion other such testimonial threads, if the product really had benefits like those described, why wouldn't the manufacturer stick it in there and use it as a marketing advantage? This isn't the bad old days of engine design where a glaring inadequacy like a massive intake restriction or an ingredient missing from motor oil is going to pass muster with the buying public. Competition is too fierce in the industry for any of them to let such a cheap advantage pass them by. This phenomenon will only become stronger as the required fuel economy averages continue to go up to approximately double their current values in 11 years time. Why do all that research, development, and engineering when the required mileage and HP are in this bottle for $19.95?

If you used all the various products for oil, intake stuff, gas additives, and they all had the advantages claimed, your car would last forever and you'd only go to the gas station to drain the excess gas out of the tank because you'd be getting about 930% better gas mileage.

It is true, however, that a K&N sticker gets you 20 more HP and 31 more lb/ft torque.

bootlegger

TDI
03 Jetta tdi
Boy, you'd think Mr. Motorkote was caught in a bad way with all the backyard scientists wives in this thread!
Probably no worse than running a tune if there are any negative effects at all.

bnmorgan

TDI
2004 Golf TDI, 2001 Beetle TDI
If you used all the various products for oil, intake stuff, gas additives, and they all had the advantages claimed, your car would last forever and you'd only go to the gas station to drain the excess gas out of the tank because you'd be getting about 930% better gas mileage.
exactly. That's why the best stuff isn't on the market......then you wouldn't have to replace engine oil but every 100k or so, and the oil suppliers would be SOL. and if you got great fuel economy, the refiners would be SOL, and if either happened the under the table govt $#!+s would be SOL.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
It's all speculation, really. You could, at your next oil change, replace one or two of the quarts of oil with gasoline or Diesel. There would be less oil induced friction because the oil is thinner. If you did this, you might even get better mileage but your engine's life would be extremely shortened.

I have seen engines run at WOT for a good 20 minutes with the oil drained out before they seized up. Motorcote probably made zero difference in your Cummins. "I believe" is not proof the product did anything.

What company's like Motorcote do basically is BS folks into believing there product is the greatest thing since sliced bread for their engine without doing any actual scientific testing.
I've never used Motorcote... the cummins has only had (after 25k of breakin of course...) Amsoil (75k) and Royal Purple (125k or so) in it. The dub is now on RP HPS and will spend the rest of it's life on it... DPF & all. (no problems running RP & 2SO in the fuel)...

mrcowden

TDI
2011 Golf 4D, 6MT
exactly. That's why the best stuff isn't on the market......then you wouldn't have to replace engine oil but every 100k or so, and the oil suppliers would be SOL. and if you got great fuel economy, the refiners would be SOL, and if either happened the under the table govt $#!+s would be SOL.
It doesn't hurt to dream. Heck, in the recent past I've had dreams that I was President of the US, that my dead grandfather had come back after hiding for a couple years at a nursing home, and that I won the lottery. Doesn't make a @&*#$ lick of sense but it sorta makes you feel good. Is that what Colbert calls truthiness?