How do i know which map on ECU my car is running please?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi all,

So my AFN ECU has 3 sets of maps. How do i know which the ECU is looking at please?
And if I wanted to copy the same map onto the other two maps, is there a quick way of doing this in winols please? Then I can tweak the other two slightly and try all 3 by swapping between them in vagcom when in the car.

I think thats possible?

Thanks

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Ben,

Better to ask this on ecuconnections to be honest.

Brum has definitely done it. It's not quite as simple as just changing the maps as you have to modify all of the code blocks to say they are manual 2wd cars. Rather than one being auto one being quattro.

See here
http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5189&p=42610&hilit=brum+msa15#p42610

As for the winols no direct copy options available, but quite easy to just open the three maps and copy/paste your changes over.

Mike

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
The right block if your car is a manual fwd is the second block as you come down through the hex dump.

You can check this by checking the last number on your ecu coding in vag-com.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi Mike,

I currently have '1 CS Wrong' (checksum) in WinOLS on my tuned file. I'm sure it didn;t used to say this.
Is this easily cleared please?
I've got tweaks to MAP sensor calibration, boost, fuel, limiters etc as per normal.
I took an original file and modded it. Do both need to be open at the same time to correct this please?

Thanks

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Ah ok I loaded original then the modded, and then applied checksum and now ok

Last edited:

k0mpresd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 bew, 2011 2l cr
what flashtool are you using? newer tools will auto update the chksums for you when flashing.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
what flashtool are you using? newer tools will auto update the chksums for you when flashing.
That usually depends on the ECU. Often if an ECU supports partial read/write it will correct the checksum in writing. But, EDC15, ME7, or others where the eprom is written in entirety must have the checksum corrected before writing. His car is an AFN anyway though, so it is probably an earlier MSA15 ECU where sockets must be soldered in.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
As above, this is an MSA15 ecu and the chips are written in a programmer, it couldn't care less about checksums while writing.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
SO are we saying I don't need to worry about checksum errors?
Mike, the ecu is reading channel 2 as you said

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
No you definitely need to have the checksums correct everytime you export the two chip files from winOLS.

k0mpresd

TDI
2005 bew, 2011 2l cr
That usually depends on the ECU. Often if an ECU supports partial read/write it will correct the checksum in writing. But, EDC15, ME7, or others where the eprom is written in entirety must have the checksum corrected before writing. His car is an AFN anyway though, so it is probably an earlier MSA15 ECU where sockets must be soldered in.
thats a good point. i was thinking more along the lines of the mpps tool. it doesnt auto update but it does have a chksum correct option before flashing, so in theory it will correct them for you if you need it. :)