01M transmission replacement

JulianK

TDI
2003 VW Golf
The auto tranny on my 2003 Golf TDI is failing (at first the TCC slip, now first gear does not have any power, unless the car is moving or the RPMs increased) and needs to be replaced. It has 237,000 km.

I found a used tranny from a 2000 Golf TDI for $1000.

I have the following questions:

1. Is it the same? The codes match - they are both FDB.
2. Will I need to change the computer when I swap that trannies?
3. Is there a way to check how good or how bad is the used tranny I want to buy? The seller says it came from a car with 137,000 km, but the car is long gone, the tranny has been sitting somewhrere.
4. Is this normal - when I grab the shaft on which the torque converter sits (that must be the input shaft) and push it around, it has very noticeable lateral play...

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
I once had a tranny from a car that was working fine when it was pulled. Drained the fluid and sold it to a guy here for $400 shipped as is. He told me it **** bricks 40 miles down the road. Basically, no 01M is worth any more than a couple hundred dollars and you could prolly find someone here willing to give you one for shipping - manual swaps are getting more and more common.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
What does a rebuilt 01m go for? Anyone have a ballpark figure? If I can talk my wife into letting me spend my own, I mean 'our' money, I'll sell you mine, less than 5k on a rebuild. Bought the car with the intention to do a five or 6 speed swap. But I'll probably have to wait 100k miles...:(. Although she may let me if selling the tranny helps pay for it.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My VW reman laster 155k with 2 ATF & filter services and a DIff Fluid change(another use for the Pella).

I just installed a reman NOT from the dealer. Under 2k so far.

Bought another TDI with dead o1m. I doubt it's worht swapping in a used one due to the effort required and life expectancy.

However I would like to find one to use as a core tough, or if it's "good" and reasonably priced I might risk installing a used one but wouldn't pay much for it.

Another note. BOTH my o1m's the DIFF died! No shifting issues, TC lockup issues, etc.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Davebugs, your rebuilt 01m cost 2k? Or you have 2k miles on it? The receipt I have from the place that did the work says my 01m cost just under $2700 with R&R.

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle TDI(5 speed swap 44mpg so far),1980 VW Dasher Wagon, 2010 Yanmar 45hp diesel tractor
You should just get a 5 speed manual, when my wifes beetles tranny blew we swapped it out for about $2300 installed now it dives like a dream, gained 7 or 8 mpg's and best of all we don't have to worry about how long the tranny is going to last.

JulianK

TDI
2003 VW Golf
Thanks for the replies guys, but I am still curious if someone who knows can answer the original questions I asked. I have to stick to an automatic because of my wife.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
.... but I am still curious if someone who knows can answer the original questions I asked.
1. yes its the same.
2. no.
3. No there is no way to check how good it is. You should pull the pan and break open the filter to inspect but it can be clean and still have problems.
4. Normal, its supported by the insides of the converter.

SirKnight_2

TDI
2000 GLS TDI
I have a question on the O1M to 5 speed swap. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI automatic and recently bought a 99.5 manual TDI parts car. I can do the swap myself but I have read on the forums that the injection pump is a different size with the auto pump being larger. My pump is less than a year old. Will I be able to reuse my pump from the automatic once I put the 5 speed in? What does the size do or not do for the 5 speed?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Most people just install the trans and leave the pump the way it is. You have the potential for more power with the larger pump, with mods of course.

Note: Nozzles in the injector are larger in the sticks, and smaller in the auto's. Most folks just leave these alone as well.

SirKnight_2

TDI
2000 GLS TDI
Great< thats what I was hoping to hear. After the tranny swap Im planning to rebuild the engine from the parts car with some of the power mods (nozzles, 17/22 turbo etc.) and then drop that in my car. I will brobably then part out the rest of the car on the forums. Thanks for the info.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, when they changed the server or software or something a while back Freddie got really tiny for some reason.