Omaha, NE chat thread

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
vwcampin said:
what type of looks things are you interested in that you have seen?
I'm thinking I don't like the current 4x4 look (wheel gap) and would prefer a tighter suspension. I really like the 'tight' wheel look found in the BMW M3s:

- maybe 225/40x18s with the correct VW OEM wheel. The 235/35x19s look to big to me (based on what I saw on B5one. I don't want to get into needing to roll the fenders, whatever that means.

- a slight 'drop', don't know how much, etc. But need to consider car safety (bumps, possible rear passenger, crap in trunk, etc.).

- Maybe anti-sway/rollbars, etc. Of course, I would need to consider the impact to shocks, springs (?), etc...

Nervous approaching mods from a one-by-one basis, since there are so many suspension ramifications with even a sligth adjustment.

Also:
-Tint, but IA has a strict policy. Would like to perhaps take a chance with 50% on front sides, with a 20-35% on rear sides, with a 0-20% on the back. Would like this to look good given my car color and not have too huge of a contrast between tint levels. My car is that dark metallic blue-gray (dark slate color, not the bright blue color). I probably could get a MD exception to go with a more aggressive tint, but not sure if worth the hassle or not.

- I would like to get some custom plates after I buy the tdiclub plate frame. I'm thinking "gotdizl", but would want to ask that tdiclub member if he'd be okay with that or not.

- Would like a radar detector, but not sure if legal and don't want the 'assembly' to like sloppy (hate wires all over the place, etc.).

- would like a chip set, but not sure what this means, and what options are available., Is there an Euro tune chip or something like that? Or, simply better gas mileage, etc.? My car is way past warranty, so don't need to worry about that.

-I like the idea of a rear spoiler lip and some of those body mods, but not sure if it is worth the $ and the impact to the mpg (assuming it adds weight, etc.).

-the venectomy appeals to me, but wouldn't be able to pull that idea off, and need to understand any potential negative impacts (like summer expansion of the fuel, etc.)...

_ I do have somewhat of an annoying vibration at around 2400rpm, I think, so the mufflerectomy sounds appealing, but again, need to know what this means with the B5.5, and what is legal, etc. I do love the sound of the car, especially in winter when it sounds like an dodge 3500 cummings diesel (until it warms up).

-I noticed that since I had all of that TB work done, that my engine sounds 'like it is running faster', and 'sounds different'... it sounds different than before the TB work, so am worried, the stealership made a boo-boo, but just know if I call them they'll say it had nothing to do with their work, etc. and cost me $$$.

Guess I'm going for more of a "this TDI belongs on the autobahn look", if that makes sense. Probably would define a target "to-be" state, then work towards that goal over time, considering what work needs to be done in tandem and what work should occur sequentially.

I'm all ears...

thanks!
-Bill

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Phaedrus said:
I'm thinking I don't like the current 4x4 look (wheel gap) and would prefer a tighter suspension. I really like the 'tight' wheel look found in the BMW M3s:

- maybe 225/40x18s with the correct VW OEM wheel. The 235/35x19s look to big to me (based on what I saw on B5one. I don't want to get into needing to roll the fenders, whatever that means.-18's would look good and I really like the look of different OEM wheels. Be aware a larger wheel will affect mileage in a negative way a little bit. I went to 17's on my Jetta and noticed a couple mpg's, but to me it is worth it due to how it looks! Good website for all OEM VW wheels and what they are called: http://www.4130-products.com/wheels/

- a slight 'drop', don't know how much, etc. But need to consider car safety (bumps, possible rear passenger, crap in trunk, etc.). -not too sure what's available, but I'm sure you have options. Do search and then ask a few questions over on the B5one forum to see what peoples feedback are on lowering kits, etc. that they have used. You can also search over on the VWVortex forum. Some of the forum categories over there tend to be young kids with the slam it to the ground mentality, but I assume the B5 forum should be a little more mature:eek: Probably not a mod you would want to tackle on your own. Something that I would assume could be tackled with help at a GTG.

- Maybe anti-sway/rollbars, etc. Of course, I would need to consider the impact to shocks, springs (?), etc... Not too hard to do, but again maybe not something you would want to tackle as a first mod. Front sway bars don't do a whole lot, but a rear sway will definitely increase the handling.

Nervous approaching mods from a one-by-one basis, since there are so many suspension ramifications with even a sligth adjustment.-Do your homework on suspension first, before jumping in. Realize that it can affect the way the car rides. I would say either of the above mods could be done separately without issue. Someone correct me if I'm way off here.

Also:
-Tint, but IA has a strict policy. Would like to perhaps take a chance with 50% on front sides, with a 20-35% on rear sides, with a 0-20% on the back. Would like this to look good given my car color and not have too huge of a contrast between tint levels. My car is that dark metallic blue-gray (dark slate color, not the bright blue color). I probably could get a MD exception to go with a more aggressive tint, but not sure if worth the hassle or not.-I doubt you would have a huge issue with 35% all the way around, or 35% in front and 20% in the back. It is actually darker than you think. Good inexpensive mod. I like tint on new cars, so this would be my top thing to do:)

- I would like to get some custom plates after I buy the tdiclub plate frame. I'm thinking "gotdizl", but would want to ask that tdiclub member if he'd be okay with that or not.-do it, easy:)

- Would like a radar detector, but not sure if legal and don't want the 'assembly' to like sloppy (hate wires all over the place, etc.).-Should not be a problem with legality of a radar detector. Not sure of the states that ban them, but I believe it is few and far between. Again a lot of options, and the installs can all be hardwired so it is not the old look of it suctioned to your window with a cord hanging down.

- would like a chip set, but not sure what this means, and what options are available., Is there an Euro tune chip or something like that? Or, simply better gas mileage, etc.? My car is way past warranty, so don't need to worry about that.-The two biggest chips tuners on this site are Alligator and Rocketchip. The guy from Rocketchip does travel to different GTG's during the year and can chip your car in person. Otherwise you would have to pull the ECU and overnight it to him, then get back in the mail and reinstall. He travels a lot so he is hard to get ahold of, but from what everyone says, it is a nice tune. He will listen to what you are looking for and create a tune specifically for you. Alligator has the option of you being able to install the tune. They send you a file with the tune and with a laptop, you install it in your car. They seem to be getting very popular as well, and if you want to change something it is just a matter of them sending you a new file to upload to your car. I think KermaTDi is a vendor for Alligator. I would read up in the performance section and then send them a PM with some questions. I don't have a tune myself (Eric-MrErlo does) but this is just what I have gleaned reading here the past few years.

-I like the idea of a rear spoiler lip and some of those body mods, but not sure if it is worth the $ and the impact to the mpg (assuming it adds weight, etc.).-lots of options there. I personally think less is more sometimes, and again tend to like the OEM look instead of aftermarket. I'm assuming you aren't going for the Fast and the Furious look:D A small lip spoiler shouldn't really affect mpg's and should be lightweight. Subtle but good looking.

-the venectomy appeals to me, but wouldn't be able to pull that idea off, and need to understand any potential negative impacts (like summer expansion of the fuel, etc.)...-I assume it's possible do a ventectomy on a B5, and I think it is something you could easily do. Haven't done it myself, but it appears it is about a 5 minute mod. Shouldn't be any negative impacts as diesel does not expand like gasoline in the heat of summer and there isn't the same type of fuel vapor systems in a diesel to screw up like in a gasser. What it will do is allow you to fill it to the brim without having to hit that little white button in the filler neck to let the air escape.

_ I do have somewhat of an annoying vibration at around 2400rpm, I think, so the mufflerectomy sounds appealing, but again, need to know what this means with the B5.5, and what is legal, etc. I do love the sound of the car, especially in winter when it sounds like an dodge 3500 cummings diesel (until it warms up).-Maybe Eric will pipe up as I believe he has done this. Probably not exactly "legal" because you are modifying the exhaust, but the same would technically apply to an aftermarket perfromance exhaust. I would think there would be a VERY LOW risk of it being a problem from a you're gonna get in trouble standpoint. Only downside I have heard is that on the highway some people have indicated a slight exhaust drone.

-I noticed that since I had all of that TB work done, that my engine sounds 'like it is running faster', and 'sounds different'... it sounds different than before the TB work, so am worried, the stealership made a boo-boo, but just know if I call them they'll say it had nothing to do with their work, etc. and cost me $$$.-Easiest way to is to find someone local with Vagcom who knows how to use it and have them check the timing. Who here in Omaha has Vagcom?

Guess I'm going for more of a "this TDI belongs on the autobahn look", if that makes sense. Probably would define a target "to-be" state, then work towards that goal over time, considering what work needs to be done in tandem and what work should occur sequentially.

I'm all ears...

thanks!
-Bill
Good luck with it Bill. This should keep you busy for a little while:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3447134

Last edited:

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I am selling that 98 jetta Tdi that i bought a few weeks ago on ebay.

Its still at mechanics shop, he was going to adjust the injection timing and pull the codes hopefully tomorrow its been sitting at his shop for almost 2 weeks now!

$3500 AS IS (it will start eventually) Otherwise when its fixed it will go back on ebay.. cory@richmondphoto.com

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
vwcampin said:
Good luck with it Bill. This should keep you busy for a little while:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3447134
Hey Bill, I have a VAG here in the O although I haven't had to do any real fixes and such. I'm sure I could help out and it might force me to explore more literature on the extended uses beyond fixing the convenience features (DRL, Horn Honk, Window control from remote, All doors unlock).

Does anyone know, does the B5's use the same plug as the A5's? That is what I have and I'm not sure how the compatibility goes.

Radar detector I have used religiously for the last 10 years is a Valentine1. I have probably drive/ridden over 300k with my original V1 and honestly it works just as good BUT I might upgrade it (you pay $250 and send in and they send you the newest unit) soon. Between a full interior 12.8 sec super charged + NO2 (I was off the bottle on the 12.8 runs) Intregra I built, a custom ZX6-R, a couple car's in between and lots of Omaha/Lincoln 100+mph miles, I have never been let down. You have to also speed smart and be very aware but the detector is TOP NOTCH and well worth the $400 asking price.

Now I don't really speed (I just see dollar signs shooting out the tail pipe these days) now but I am so much more comfortable (like having a radar detector "blanky") with the V1 up front.

Oh, I plan to send my ECU to Jeff (RC) early next month when I get to borrow a buddies 06.5 5M for the month. I can't wait to get my tuned car on the road. Everything I ever read/hear is GREAT stuff about RocketChips.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Mrrogers1 said:
Hey Bill, I have a VAG here in the O although I haven't had to do any real fixes and such. ...Does anyone know, does the B5's use the same plug as the A5's?

Thanks for the info! Sorry, I was late in responding, but was presenting in Disney (FL - major muggy) and NYC earlier this week.

I have a PD B5.5, not sure what this will mean. Really, like to know if the timing is screwed up or not, and then maybe either have a TDI Guru fix it, or take a copy of the VAG report (assumed, the VAG could export a report) to the stealership as 'evidence' to fix it as a 'repair defect'.

Let me know what we need to do...

Oh, after spending around a 100 hrs. on Passatworld and other VW sites researching wheel/tire combos; it seems that the really smart guys (the engineers and racers) all recommended a 16 wheel/tire. Many recommended the 15s due to reduce sprung weight (etc.) but the racers thought it was a little too small for the passat, and might get hot/wear to fast? The 18" wheel combo is strictly for looks, not functionality, bummer...

What are your thoughts? Anyone? Thinking maybe a 215 - 235/50-60x16 is the way to go. Most of the folks on Passatworld into the 16s were running 225/50x16. But when I look up those specs on tirerack, I don't find a load rating high enough (need a 94), so thinking a 225/55x16 is best (and a few folks on passatworld had recommended these in the past). Maybe a 235/55x16, but not sure if it would fit or not...

Never had 17s before this passat, but had nothing but bad luck, especially with the epidemic of unexpected pot holes...

On the Phaeton, um.... despite the price of gas, I'm really thinking about buying one of the v8 models, what a beautiful understated elegant car... wow..can't believe how relatively cheap they are; they depreciate faster than the Audi 8s. Drop $20-30K and get a ~$75K car.. Maybe a the 12 cylinder, but..... have no faith in repair work unless in KC.

thanks for any help,
Bill

Last edited:

erkki

TDI
None (yet)
Hi everyone. Been lurking here for awhile and thought I'd introduce myself to the Omaha crowd. My name is Eric. Have a 2006 Spice red Pkg 1 in Council Bluffs. Also have a 2006 Liberty CRD. Love both of them. Getting 45-47 driving back and forth to work in West O with the Jetta.

Unfortunately, one of them has to go and it's the Jetta that lost out (my wife wants to keep the Liberty for the 4 wheel drive). If you know of anyone in the Omaha area who might be interested, please let me know. I have the car listed here in the For Sale section and also on Craigslist. http://omaha.craigslist.org/car/707208135.html

Irregardless, I would love to meet some people sometime. Saw an article on some members driving the modded bio-diesel cars, which is pretty cool. Don't know a whole lot about it, but would love to learn for the Jeep and for my in-laws, who drive all Cummins powered trucks.

Thanks,
Eric

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
erkki said:
Saw an article on some members driving the modded bio-diesel cars, which is pretty cool. Don't know a whole lot about it, but would love to learn for the Jeep and for my in-laws, who drive all Cummins powered trucks.
perhaps you were talking about the "Biofuel Ambitions" article from the Omaha World Herald a while back. the digital version doesn't seem to be available online anymore, or maybe the Omaha.com server is just down with College World Series visitor traffic.

either way, we've recently founded the Omaha Biofuel Coop, and are currently working on processing WVO into fuel, as well as distributing WVO to members with a 2-tank system. feel free to email me if you'd like to see our facilities or just want to chat about biofuels.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Just a reminder that the Omaha VW Club's annual Show and Shine is tomorrow, Saturday June 14th. 8:00 am-3:30. I will be out there with the Jetta showing off the Greasecar kit. Mostly old air-cooled VW's, but it is a good time. It's at the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall. Exit 432 off of I-80.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
NEW TDI AT Stan OLSENS

If anyone wanted to check out the new TDI, Stan Olsens just received their test drive model in last night.

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
Cool, might go check out the new TDI.
Anybody have any damage last night in our latest summer of a thousand storms?

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
No damage, I did get caught outside in the storm on 90th and Fort.

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI that I need a timing belt changed on. I have the Vag Com and have helped with a few changes, need the rest of the tools and willing to pay to assist someone to do the majority of the work. Any ideas?

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
vwcampin said:
If anyone wanted to check out the new TDI, Stan Olsens just received their test drive model in last night.
Performance VW and the rest also have theirs.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Just got back from a test drive at Stan Olsen. Gotta say I really liked how it drove. It's crazy quiet for a diesel. Your average Joe would have no idea it was a diesel.

If anyone in the Nebraska area is looking, one of my best friends works there and indicated they are selling for MSRP, no upcharging. Stan Olsen VW, Adam Silverman 402-397-8200 or adamvwnut@hotmail.com

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Just thought I would post this up for any local TDI Club members: Club member Mrrogers1 will have his 06 Jetta TDI there and I will have my 02 Jetta TDI with a WVO conversion along with at least one hybrid.

Learn to 'Drive Green in the Big O'

Drivers interested in lessening their impact on the environment — and their pocketbooks — might want to attend a Sierra Club program Thursday, Sept. 25.

"Driving Smart: How to Drive Green in the Big O " will begin at 7 p.m. at First United Methodist Church, 7020 Cass St. At 6:30 p.m., hybrid and biodiesel cars will be in the parking lot for folks to view.

The panel discussion will feature Bill Moore, publisher of the online magazine EV World and a liaison with the research teams at Toyota and Honda, and Shelby Bell and Javin Rogers of the Omaha Biofuels Cooperative, who will talk about using biofuels in cars.

The program is free and open to the public.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Daniel-O said:
How did the show go?? I was stuck at work that night... any cool revelations?

Dan
It went well. There was a lot of interest in both Javin's and my TDI's. A lot of questions in the parking lot. Both of our presentations were well received and generated questions. I think there were well over 50 in attendance.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
TDI eddie said:
We had a good turn out on November 15 in Carter Lake, nice to meet all the new people. We got a done of work done too!
PLEASE tell me no one had a 40k tranny service done.... :(

I was so busy all week (and out of the house) that I stayed in with the family all weekend long and couldn't make it.

*Who is our local #1 Guru around these parts anyway? It's that time for my DSG PD and I the VAG for tranny temp verification. ;)

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Mrrogers1 said:
PLEASE tell me no one had a 40k tranny service done.... :(

I was so busy all week (and out of the house) that I stayed in with the family all weekend long and couldn't make it.

*Who is our local #1 Guru around these parts anyway? It's that time for my DSG PD and I the VAG for tranny temp verification. ;)
We changed the fluid on two autos.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Well... point me in the right direction for the PDF... Deafbug... is the DSG PD tranny fluid change significantly different? Cuz... the 2 we did were O1M... trannys... The procedure seemed pretty straight forward, but it was hugely supportive and assuring to have an experienced guru there.

But hey given enought time and fluid we'll get it right!!:eek:

Dan

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
so my IP is leaking. i posted asking some questions,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2368632&postcount=11

but if there is someone closer who can rebuild it for me i'd like to get it done ASAP. the car is still running, but there is a small amount of fuel on the outside of the pump.

i'm also considering replacing the entire pump,

http://tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=881

but i'm not sure if it's worth it, or if i would actually get my $300 core back. i've made my own bio, and switched quickly from B99 to B0... and have no records at all for the first 97k miles.

also, i'm not sure if i can actually install a new pump myself. maybe... anyone around here have any experience with that.

thanks, sorry i've been gone so long. hope you're all doing well.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
vwcampin said:
Eric,
No experience digging into the IP here, but I did find the instructions on replacing the seals. Doesn't look too terribly bad. Your timing is off by a couple weeks:) as Eddie's GTG would have been the perfect time to do it.
see, that's what i get for not visiting the forums often enough.

i'll read through it and see if its something i'm willing to try myself. my next option would be to replace the entire IP, and i got some instructions from Paramedick in the other thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2368689&postcount=13

i'll keep everyone posted so next time someone has this problem, the Omaha Crew will be ready to take on the job.

EDIT:
thanks for the DieselGeek thread, but that's only for the IP-head seal. i replaced that about a year ago, that seal is working great. my current problem is with the upper internal IP seal (i think it's the upper seal anyway). for that seal you need to take the IP apart and i'll need the entire seal kit.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=443

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
MrErlo said:
EDIT:
thanks for the DieselGeek thread, but that's only for the IP-head seal. i replaced that about a year ago, that seal is working great. my current problem is with the upper internal IP seal (i think it's the upper seal anyway). for that seal you need to take the IP apart and i'll need the entire seal kit.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=443
I've been thinking myselft about getting that seal kit even thou my IP has no visible leaks anywhere outside other then it has been seems to loose prime on cold mornings. I never tore IP apart before so little bit scared to do it and can't affort do have car down for while, since I need my TDI for daily driving.

If you decide to change your IP, then I can help you with that and we could use your old one for learning experience. :)