aaz intermediate shaft bearing

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
Hi all
any thoughts on wheather replacing the intermediate shaft bearing on a 97 jetta with aaz engine is doable "in car " , (and replacing crank and main bearings ).

Dealing with marginal oil pressure when hot .

Thanks for any tips .

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i dont know as far as bearing replacement its self. if the right mount has to come out. for removing the IM shaft, my trick was, remove front mount, you now (should) have enough room to lower engine and the shaft will be free to slide out.
the outter bearing i dont know if you even need to do anything else, in this area. in fact the motor can be at its normal level/height, may be the case. its having the bearing press tool. this is very back-yardie. the inner bearing, i do not know if it can be serviced, it needs to go to a shop, is by best advice, both actually, for best results.
if you have a shop that can do both with the block stripped and in car, that would be the key. having the block out of the car, any shop (who would take the job) can do it. so prep engine by stripping, prob be better if you are able to have crank in for this. and have a shop who can take it. get a way to tow or get her over there. (for a real close shop, i 'soft tow' her, at like 1am-2am in the morning, into shop parking space, and he's ready for it when he sees it).

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Just want the OP to makes sure he knows that there is more than one bearing...

The greatest oil pressure improvement will be from the front bearing however. easiest way to get them out is with a special slide hammer.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
With the engine in the car you can certainly slide the shaft out an inch or two, so that you can inspect the bearing for flaking, but man oh man way easier to do a good job of replacing it with the engine out on the shop floor. And, while it's out...lots of other stuff to check/refresh...while you're at it. :)

Last edited:

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
It is possible, but you need to remove the right hand motor mount to drop the engine enough to get a straight shot at the IM shaft bearing. You may need to remove the front center mount as well, can't remember, it's been 20 years...

I made up drivers and used a long length of threaded rod to drive the bearings in. I used a marker line on the bearing to line the oil hole up. Use clevite SH1209S bearings, they are prefinished and do not require boring after installation.

The main bearings will show little wear. The rods may be worn a bit, The greatest oil pressure improvement will come from replacing the IM shaft bearings.[/QUOTE

thanks for all your responses. I was planning on just dealing with the pulley bearing as it seems logical to have the most wear due to the timing belt pulling it to one side.
Getting the bearing out is another issue , there must be some special tool for it .

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
With the engine in the car you can certainly slide the shaft out an inch or two, so that you can inspect the bearing for flaking, but man oh man way easier to do a good job of replacing it with the engine out on the shop floor. And, while it's out...lots of other stuff to check/refresh...while you're at it. :)

Thanks vince , as usual.

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
Just want the OP to makes sure he knows that there is more than one bearing...

The greatest oil pressure improvement will be from the front bearing however. easiest way to get them out is with a special slide hammer.

Thanks, i did know there are two. Most wear is usually on the outer one due to the timingbelt pressure.