Installing a Boost Gauge Questions

eddi887

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi All,

I want to install a manual boost gauge on my 2003 Jetta TDI. My question is, where is the best place to tap the engine for the tube that will run to the gauge?

Thanks...Jeff

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have a PD, but they are similar enough. I tapped into the plastic elbow/runner that is in between the intercooler and the ASV/EGR.

I think ALH's have the same or a similar runner.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I took the plastic intake piece off between the turbo and intercooler that goes between your fuel filter and the engine. I used clamp removers that are cable operated to get the the clamp on the intercooler under the head light. You will want this too to save a headache. Then I just drilled a hole that was smaller than the nipple I was putting on and manually screwed it in to make the treads. Then sealed the outside with silicone and made sure there was no plastic shavings in the intake tube. THESE

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Hi All,

I want to install a manual boost gauge on my 2003 Jetta TDI. My question is, where is the best place to tap the engine for the tube that will run to the gauge?

Thanks...Jeff
Where most people tapped it on the ALH, the plastic pipe that goes from the intercooler to the EGR.

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
Boost gauge location

Where most people tapped it on the ALH, the plastic pipe that goes from the intercooler to the EGR.
Why does everyone seem to want to tap into the plastic rather than the aluminum intake or egr housing?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I will say the location I chose in the plastic pipe coming out of the intercooler had so much turbulence it did not pick up the boost pressure. I tapped mine into the radiator side of the intake manifold next to the head.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Why does everyone seem to want to tap into the plastic rather than the aluminum intake or egr housing?
Exactly. The flange on the intake manifold where the EGR attaches is nice and thick and readily accessible.
Shorter, neater hose run, too.

In this example I used a 10-32 to 1/8" hose barb fitting. Perfect size for a gauge.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Exactly. The flange on the intake manifold where the EGR attaches is nice and thick and readily accessible.
Shorter, neater hose run, too.

In this example I used a 10-32 to 1/8" hose barb fitting. Perfect size for a gauge.
Did you remove the intake to add a boost gauge? I like it, but that is a lot of work.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I tap'd into the intake near the cylinder 4 runner.
Did it while I was cleaning it.
Only thing the gauge buzzed when I took off for a bit then quieted down,
After a month the noise went away.
They sell a 'filter' to eliminate it.
I think the buzzing was caused by the air pulsing into cylinder 4.
Closer to the EGR might be better. (mjydrafters picture above)
Mounted the gauge on the column on the left side.
If I was going to tap at the intake entry on the car I would stuff a lightly greased rag in the intake to catch the shavings.
Just remember to remove it. :eek:

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Because it's easy and it works just fine. Yes, there is a lot of turbulent air, but turbos and intercoolers by nature makes the air turbulent. Turbulent air means better heat transfer into the intercooler metal itself.

Intake manifold is fine, provided the EGR function is deleted (or reduced), because the buildup will render the port useless. The plastic piping is pre-EGR, no soot+oil buildup to worry about.

The "filter" is just a very tiny EDM'd hole. The response of the boost gauge is slower, but you don't get the "pinging" noise on a VDO gauge.

Did you remove the intake to add a boost gauge? I like it, but that is a lot of work.
No, this was part of a major upgrade. It can be done on the car with hand tools.
That's an ARL (PD150) intake manifold.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I installed an aquarium air valve in my boost line. Just screw it in a bit and see if it makes noise. I got lucky, the first try worked fine. If it didn't I am certain my $7 boost gauge would make noise.

eddi887

TDI
2003 Jetta
I want to thank you all for the responses. I have read that most people do put it in the plastic runner, but was concerned that it would eventually come out, as plastic is not the most stable material.lol

I have a spare intake, which I was planning on cleaning to replace the one that is on the car now, so tapping it would be easy enough.

Flee, how long have you had your boost gauge installed? Any issues with buildup that would cause a malfunction of the gauge?

Thanks again...Jeff

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
Boost gauge location

Hi All,

Thanks...Jeff
I took off the egr valve and tapped into the top of the aluminum manifold.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
You could use the Android app Torque and an ODB dongle to get live graphs of your boost for about $20.