Group Drive: Mt. Washington Auto Road [CONFIRMED]

Are you interested in attending a Mt. Washington Auto Road group drive? ~$30/person

• Total voters

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Scratching my head on this one! I'd love to go up, but would rather drive my ALH powered Vanagon. Will it be classified as a motorhome/RV?

Wife doesn't like heights. So, she will definitely not be going!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good question. You might want to call the auto road tomorrow and find out what the restrictions are.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Here are some pics from the summit. These were taken on Memorial Day of this year.

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Neat! I just realized you and I will have book-ended the summer with not only trips to Maine, but visiting the top of Mt. Washington, too! (both Memorial day and Labor Day weekends)

I was so glad we went to the top of Mt. Washington in May; I assumed that would be the only time I would ever get to do that. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Can't wait to see it again-perhaps without snow?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Since you mentioned catering/food will not be available at the mountain, I was thinking about having a little BBQ "after fest" G2G where i'm staying in Lancaster, NH. Its about 45-60 min from Mt Washington and about an hour from where TDIFest is happening. I know its a bit of a drive, but it seems like everything up in this part of NH/ME/VT is 45 min away. We are in the middle of nowhere after all.

For those of you trying to mapquest where I'm at just do a search for Gore Road in Lancaster, NH and that will give you an idea.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That would be really cool - just keep in mind that the distance might be tough for people, especially after having been doing stuff all day. We won't get off the auto road until ~8:15PM, add 45 minutes to your place and it's 9PM. Would be a great place for an evening BBQ party though - perhaps a fire pit and some music?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be really cool - just keep in mind that the distance might be tough for people, especially after having been doing stuff all day. We won't get off the auto road until ~8:15PM, add 45 minutes to your place and it's 9PM. Would be a great place for an evening BBQ party though - perhaps a fire pit and some music?
It will have to be for the late nighters then. ;)

Or maybe we could start heading to the mountain a bit earlier?

Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, and I have only been there in the winter when EVERYTHING is covered in snow, so I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. IIRC i think he has a chiminea out there we could have a nice fire in. Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. I'm going to give her grandfather a call to make sure there's a grill there and if I need a propane tank and ask about the chimenea. Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It will have to be for the late nighters then. ;)

Or maybe we could start heading to the mountain a bit earlier?

Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, and I have only been there in the winter when EVERYTHING is covered in snow, so I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. IIRC i think he has a chiminea out there we could have a nice fire in. Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. I'm going to give her grandfather a call to make sure there's a grill there and if I need a propane tank and ask about the chimenea. Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.
This is a sunset cruise. We'd be happy to move the time earlier if you can coordinate with the solar system and get it to cooperate with the change of plans. ;)

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a sunset cruise. We'd be happy to move the time earlier if you can coordinate with the solar system and get it to cooperate with the change of plans. ;)
I missed the "sunset" part. :banghead:

We could call it a "pre-sunset" drive lol

I guess it will be for the night owls then. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.

Cancellation Policy: We will ONLY cancel the group drive in the event of unsafe weather conditions on the Auto Road, as determined by Auto Road staff.

Restrooms: Restrooms are only available at the base of the mountain. There will be no restrooms available at the summit, as the National Park building will be closed. Please plan accordingly.

Driving Restrictions: Our group will be lead by an Auto Road van and followed by an Auto Road van. The Auto Road encourages everyone to have fun, but please no speeding, showing off, or otherwise acting like a fool. The Auto Road is both challenging and dangerous, and it is not an appropriate place to practice your racing skills. Also keep in mind that the general public will be leaving the mountain (going down) while we are going up, as they are all required to leave the summit at 6:45 PM. I don't know how many people this will be, but be prepared to encounter some traffic as we ascend the mountain. Going down, it will be all ours. :)

Any questions? Let me know! :cool:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, ....I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. ...Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. .......Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.
Don't go volunteering a friends' relative's property and real estate on his behalf.
Get him to tell you it's ok before you invite a bunch of beer drinking internet chat unknowns to set fire to his land.
Really!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.
It took me a moment to figure it out.
Click on "My Registrations" in the menu column on the left.
Click on the pencil icon under the heading "tools".
Scroll down to the activities price list located between the user name and the vehicle details to add the Mountain drive to your bucket list.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As of right now there are 32 people signed up for the group drive. :cool:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
A ride in the Vanagon up Mt. Washington

Does anyone want to ride up with me in the ALH Vanagon ..... new braided stainless steel brake hoses, new master cylinder, brake fluid flushed a number of times recently, new rear wheel cylinders, new rear brake drums & shoes, new front rotors & pads, new tires (uniroyal),new rims, new lugnuts/studs, and new front suspension components:cool:......:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Does anyone want to ride up with me in the ALH Vanagon ..... new braided stainless steel brake hoses, new master cylinder, brake fluid flushed a number of times recently, new rear wheel cylinders, new rear brake shoes, new front rotors & pads, new tires (uniroyal),new rims, new lugnuts/studs, and new front suspension components:cool:......:D
Sounds like you've been busy! Now you get to put your handy work to the test! :eek:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wife said there is no way she would go up that mountain with me.I left her and my son at the 11,000 foot level of Pike's Peak back in 1982 ..... I drove on up (14,114 feet) in my first VW Diesel (1980 Rabbit) ........ it sure needed a turbo.

EDIT: Ironically, 140 years ago today (8/18/1873) was the first ascent of Mt. Whitney (14,505 ft).............

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As of right now we have 50 people signed up and paid for the group drive to the summit of Mt. Washington! :cool:

We will continue taking reservations through Friday evening for this event.