AdBlue Module electrical connector meter readings

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL
I have been chasing down emissions codes like P2201 and P20EE. So, I have disconnected the connectors and took some readings.

1. Reducing agent line heater: (brown to red/grey): open circuit
2. Agent pump/pump heater: (red/blk to blu; heater): 5.4 Ohms
3. Agent pump/pump motor: (blk to blu/wht to y/blu): Appears as open circuit. This is because it is a pulse width modulated motor with integrated circuit inside. The connector pins lead to the integrated circuit, not to the motor windings.
all combinations.
4. reversing valve: (y/wht to blk): 11.5 ohms
5. reservoir level sensor: (y, blu, red, gy): These are level probes picking
up conductance through
the fluid.
There appears to be 3 probes
and one return.
6. Reducing agent tank heater: Heater (red to brn): 2 ohms
7. reducing agent tank temperature sensor: temperature thermister(Violet to brn): ~11.5K ohm @72 F.

I don't have VCDS running yet and was wondering if any of these circuits are monitored by the ECU? I do not have any codes specifying a bad pump motor or an open circuit on the line heater. I assume that the pump has electrical windings and should have given at least one continuity reading if it is a permanent magnet type motor.

So my question becomes, does the line heater and pump need to be replaced? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
P2201 has nothing to do with your DEF tank. That is for a NOx sensor.

P20EE is DeNOx catalyst efficiency below threshold. Again, nothing with the DEF tank or the DEF heater or the DEF pump.

What level of "fix" has/is this car undergone?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Could it be the pump isn't pumping any NOx? so no dosing, yet the pump/heater "thinks" it's still good?

You think it's a bad NOx sensor?

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I had this code on my '14 Passat....P20EE is DeNOx catalyst efficiency below threshold.
It was a NOx sensor replaced for free under the extended warranty from the "fix".....

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL

P20EE is DeNOx catalyst efficiency below threshold. Again, nothing with the DEF tank or the DEF heater or the DEF pump.

I know this but what can contribute to P20EE.

Can it be my motor which appears to be bad? The injection line heater is also reading open circuit. are the injection line heater and motor monitored?

I miss the days when you could look in a Bentley manual to find diagrams of the entire exhaust system and each sensor location on it.

I changed out the NOx sensor behind the in-line valve so far. Apparently this is not the one causing P2201 because the code is still there. How many are there and where are they in the line?

As for P20EE my generic reader shows catalyst Monitor Bank 1 with a reading on component $81 (TID $B3) of 0.035 and an expected range of 0.499 to 65.535. This may support my pump reading reading open circuit on the three wires?

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL
With all connectors to the DEF module disconnected I get obd readings of:

P2201
P204E- pressure circuit
P203A- level circuit
P205A- Tank temperature circuit
P20A0- purge valve open circuit
P208A- pump control circuit open

Nothing there about the injection line heater!

I am going to plug the motor back in, clear codes and see what happens to P208A.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You replaced the J583 NOx sensor module? Did you watch the data before and after while driving?

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL

IF "fix" means VW software updates, I have had campaign 23UF 2360 25 99 0.90 performed as well as campaign 26i2 and EGR cap replacement.

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL
I asked earlier,
I changed out the NOx sensor behind the in-line valve so far. Apparently this is not the one causing P2201 because the code is still there. How many are there and where are they in the line?

Is there another NOx sensor that I should change and where is it?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IF "fix" means VW software updates, I have had campaign 23UF 2360 25 99 0.90 performed as well as campaign 26i2 and EGR cap replacement.

Not sure of the campaigns listed, but if the Diesel Gate fix has been applied wouldn't all this be covered by warranty?

And yes the dieselgate fix is a software update for the Gen2 rides. Sadly you'd alreay prob mention it was applied and would have enjoyed the pile of cash you received for your trouble.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I think there is some next level confusion here based on the quote below.....

Could it be the pump isn't pumping any NOx? so no dosing, yet the pump/heater "thinks" it's still good?

You think it's a bad NOx sensor?
I believe 740 is mixing up NOx and Adblue.

NOx is a component of "smog" it is not a fluid or substance to be pumped, dosed, or heated.

There are (now) 2 NOx sensors in our exhaust pipes to measure how much NOx is going out the exhaust into the atmosphere.

BarryMunson

TDI
2014 Passat tdi SEL
I think there is some next level confusion here based on the quote below.....

I believe 740 is mixing up NOx and Adblue.

NOx is a component of "smog" it is not a fluid or substance to be pumped, dosed, or heated.

There are (now) 2 NOx sensors in our exhaust pipes to measure how much NOx is going out the exhaust into the atmosphere.
By "now", what year would two have been implemented? I have Mitchell's on-line manual that is supposed to cover my 2014 Passat. It does not show 2 NOx sensors. Where is the second NOx sensor and for what year is it used?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
By "now", what year would two have been implemented? I have Mitchell's on-line manual that is supposed to cover my 2014 Passat. It does not show 2 NOx sensors. Where is the second NOx sensor and for what year is it used?
Sorry, I was replying to 740GLE and I saw he has a 2015 Passat.

The second NOx sensor is part of the phase 2 retrofit for the 2015 model years.

It would not apply to your 2014.