Rear Fog Lights

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Great writeup, aenea. What tool did you use to remove wires from the CECM harnesses? I have a thin pick in my toolbox, but I don't want to hack at anything like an idiot. Aloso, where did you find the writeup on the foglight installation? All of the DIYs I've found were for the Mk5.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Heh. I used a thin paperclip bent into a U shape and hacked at it like an idiot ;).

Since then I found this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230619&highlight=terminal

I used these when I was doing the front fogs. Much easier.

AFAIK, there isn't a DIY for OEM fogs. I had to make it up as I went along, but the MKV DIY's are pretty close and I used a MKV harness. There's a post in this thread that details the differences I found

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4876309-2010-JSW-CECM-Swap-questions

Great writeup, aenea. What tool did you use to remove wires from the CECM harnesses? I have a thin pick in my toolbox, but I don't want to hack at anything like an idiot. Aloso, where did you find the writeup on the foglight installation? All of the DIYs I've found were for the Mk5.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
I just added a rear fog to my 2010 JSW. The short version of the changes is:

Trigger wire from pin 7 on the headlight switch to pin A17 (the black connector) on the CECM

Move the driver's reverse power wire from pin A28 (the black connector) to pin C47 (the gold connector) on the CECM.

Change byte 18 in module 9 from 00 to 02.

Swap the driver's side taillight for one with a rear fog.

The downside for DRL fans is that it looks like VW doubled up on some pins. There's already a wire in C47 and in the default configuration it powers the passenger side DRL. So, unless someone comes up with a better way: rear fog == no DRL

Edit: The above is not true. The code change moves the right DRL to pin A28. Moving the wire that came from C47 to A28 restores the passenger DRL.

I pieced this together from detective work done by Dana from Ross-Tech, maloosheck, and some guys on a German forum. And I learned all my German watching Hogan's Heroes, so proceed at your own risk.

Am I correct in understanding that the wire swap between A28/C47 is NOT REQUIRED ? And that all that is required is a trigger wire between pin 7 of the switch and A17?

This has long been a question over at vwvortex. I've often thought that coding should handle everything, but could not get confirmation.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Moving the wire from A28 to C47 is required. I think moving the wire that was in C47 to A28 is only required if you have halogens. In the default NA wiring, pin A28 powers the driver's side reverse and pin C47 powers the passenger DRL.

When you change the lighting code to 02 the pin at A28 powers the passenger DRL and the pin at C47 powers the rear fog.

This post was the key:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...9-Wiring-of-few-common-add-ons&highlight=j519

Maloosheck was confused about the left reverse and right DRL sharing the same pin. It turns out they do; what the pin powers is changed by the coding in byte 18.

The is obviously halogen only. Dana at Ross-Tech has a xenon GTI and confirmed that the wire from pin C47 does go to the passenger headlight, but there's no pin at the headlight side of the harness because the xenons are used as the DRL's.

Last edited:

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Heh. I used a thin paperclip bent into a U shape and hacked at it like an idiot ;).

Since then I found this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230619&highlight=terminal

I used these when I was doing the front fogs. Much easier.

AFAIK, there isn't a DIY for OEM fogs. I had to make it up as I went along, but the MKV DIY's are pretty close and I used a MKV harness. There's a post in this thread that details the differences I found

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4876309-2010-JSW-CECM-Swap-questions
Nice info! Where did you end up getting the terminal release tools? I can only find the "micro" size online.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I bought them from penclnck. The first link has instructions on how to contact him.

rad8tion

TDI
1984 TD Jetta, 2010 TDI Cup Jetta
Aenea, just wanted to say thanks for posting the info, rear fog is working great on my 2010 jetta tdi cup, following the info posted here!

Now if I could just turn off the cold diagnostics that are giving me bulb out warnings with my euro tails..

-Ryan

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Glad it could help. It seems like there should be some sort of byte 18 value that should code for the led tails.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
Moving the wire from A28 to C47 is required. I think moving the wire that was in C47 to A28 is only required if you have halogens. In the default NA wiring, pin A28 powers the driver's side reverse and pin C47 powers the passenger DRL.

When you change the lighting code to 02 the pin at A28 powers the passenger DRL and the pin at C47 powers the rear fog.

This post was the key:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...9-Wiring-of-few-common-add-ons&highlight=j519

Maloosheck was confused about the left reverse and right DRL sharing the same pin. It turns out they do; what the pin powers is changed by the coding in byte 18.

The is obviously halogen only. Dana at Ross-Tech has a xenon GTI and confirmed that the wire from pin C47 does go to the passenger headlight, but there's no pin at the headlight side of the harness because the xenons are used as the DRL's.
Why would one need to change the coding to "02"?

I have done the install for the LED tails with rear fog but didn't plug the C47 wire back in A28 (put tape on it), my default coding for Byte 18 was "00" and left it as is, do I need to change it to 02 and hence will need to put the loose wire in A28?

is something not suppose to work properly in the car if I leave the coding as default "00"? or does this only apply to halogen taillights with fog?

Details of my car: 2010 Jetta Sedan TDI (with newer elect module), halogen headlights, OEM LED Tails with fog.

Last edited:

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan

This post was the key:

I am wondering if you know a way that I can get the rear fog to work as reverse lamp as well?

Can I put a repair wire in A28 (left reverse pin) and tap it to the wire connected to C47 (which is rear fog pin and that wire goes to the read fog lamp).

Would that throw and error for me having a left reverse and a rear left fog?

Do you know if this has been done before?

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I did this to my previous B6 Passat. I believe the Mk V Jetta/Golf and the Mk VI Golf have the same architecture.

First you need a European light switch. Then you need a VW wire kit and you run a trigger wire from the switch to the ECU. Search the Vortex to find the right pin number.

Then you need VCDS to activate it. On the B6 the rear fog replaced one of the back-up lights. I believe some folks simply replaced the back-up light bulb with a red bulb of the same type, on the left of the car, others like myself bought a new taillight housing with the rear fog built-in (clear bulb but red lens).

I don't know if it will work on a Golf though. I do know one thing, LED rear taillights suck. While they may look cool, if anyone drives in the snow belt, be aware that in a snowstorm the rear lights will get coated with snow/ice to the point of rendering the taillights nearly invisible. LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt the snow off. Fortunately the incandescent rear fog bulb will melt off the bit around the rear fog light, but that will only provide lighting on one side.

In a snowstorm on the Passat I always had to activate the rear fog to have visible rear lighting and avoid being rear-ended.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this forum. How do I find out if I have a highline CECM in my JSW? And just to confirm - if I got the OEM rear fog from ECM, I still have to move a wire from A28 to C47 in addition to coding in VCDS, right?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D

I did this a while ago; these are depo replica golf r tails.

This has everything you need to do the install:
http://www.oemplus.com/DIY/Mk6_LED_tailights.pdf

While you are at it wire up that euroswitch:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4724268-DIY-Wiring-a-Euro-Headlight-Switch-to-run-parking-lights-(MkVI-GTi)&highlight=diy+fog

I'm not positive but I don't think the CECM model matters, you can check with a vcds scan. I'll have to take a look later which ones are and aren't high line.

Hope this helps someone :D

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Trigger wire from pin 7 on the headlight switch to pin A17 (the black connector) on the CECM

Move the driver's reverse power wire from pin A28 (the black connector) to pin C47 (the gold connector) on the CECM.

The downside for DRL fans is that it looks like VW doubled up on some pins. There's already a wire in C47 and in the default configuration it powers the passenger side DRL. So, unless someone comes up with a better way: rear fog == no DRL

Edit: The above is not true. The code change moves the right DRL to pin A28. Moving the wire that came from C47 to A28 restores the passenger DRL.
Okay, I just want to confirm everything (assuming anyone is still reading this thread) - I need to swap C47 with A28. Then, I need to purchase the yellow trigger wire, and connect pin 7 on the headlight switch to A17. Then do the VCDS coding. I do not need the highline CECM, right? According to VCDS, I have the lowline (5K0 937 085 G).

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I was stationed in Germany for 4 years and I just returned in the end of 2012. I had a 2009 Jetta TDI and added rear fog lights to it. So as it’s already been discussed, you lose your driver side back up light when you add the rear fog light. The reason its only it’s on the left, is so when you look over your right shoulder to backup - the one backup light is on the passenger side providing the light to see while backing up. This is the opposite in the UK the obliviously they look over their left shoulder therefore the rear fog light is on right rear side. I also have a MINI Countryman and wanted amber turn signals in the rear so through ECS tuning I had to get the UK left taillight and the German (Europe) right tail light so I would avoid the red lens on backup light on the left side. However my Asian and other European cars especially Mercedes have both backup lights and fog lights. Mini, VAG usually have one backup light.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2011-...atchback-L4_1.6L_N16B16A/Lighting/Tail_Light/

Europe has a many days with thick fog throughout the year so it’s a great option and it’s strictly enforced not to use the rear fog light unless visibility is less-then 25-50 Meters.

Mercedes and BMW has many US-Spec vehicles that have rear fog lights I see often in Maryland that a Mercedes owner has it turned on not know what it’s used for.

If you add the reverse fog light expect a lot of people to notify you have the left backup light out – which obviously it isn’t because it’s been converted to a fog light. I had people walk up and tell me at least once a month when I had my Jetta.

Its great feature but if maybe you live where there is dense fog – its super annoying and blinding if you turn it on when it’s a clear evening – comes in handy when someone is being an ass and following to close – turn it on and blind them.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I had installed a rear fog on my previous B6 Passat. I called it my KOMA light (as in Keep Off My A$$). Very effective at night, for that purpose.

I know a guy who bought a Mercedes and thought he had his brake light stuck on. He brought it to the dealer. The dealer thought he had a brake light stuck on.

Finally after a while the dealer clued in... duh!

This was mid-90s or so.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
So has anyone installed LED or other tail lights that have rear fogs?
Is it worth going through the extra coding and the different switch?
Do they work like normal fog's?
A lot of folks have done their rear fogs, or are in the process of getting them done. If all you want are rear fogs for your stock Mk6 then you need a Euro switch and a Euro Spec drivers side Hatch brake light housing. The work will entail rewiring your CECM to get the rear fog positions on the euro switch to work. It's important to note that once you install rear fogs on a golf 6, your drivers side reverse light will now be red.

If you upgrade to the R20 LED Tails with rear fogs, you also require re-coding of Byte 18 of Cent Electronics with VCDS so you don't get a bulb error code. The coding change is different for every model so make sure you're 100% sure what you're before you play with a VCDS.

Rear Fogs are Euro and cool, but IMO you don't need them, and are not worth the trouble unless you got them with your R20 tails.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Okay, I just want to confirm everything (assuming anyone is still reading this thread) - I need to swap C47 with A28. Then, I need to purchase the yellow trigger wire, and connect pin 7 on the headlight switch to A17. Then do the VCDS coding. I do not need the highline CECM, right? According to VCDS, I have the lowline (5K0 937 085 G).
But back to this - is this all that needs to be done with a 2010 JSW? I already have the light installed (was part of some major back end repairs from an auto collision).

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW

I pieced this together from detective work done by Dana from Ross-Tech, maloosheck, and some guys on a German forum. And I learned all my German watching Hogan's Heroes, so proceed at your own risk.
I just performed this precise installation on my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. Not only does the rear foglight not work, but when you turn the parking lights on, the city lights work per usual, but all four rear red lights turn on (tails and brakes). When I try to turn the fog lights on, I get headlights.

I've taken everything apart and verified the swap of A28 to C47 as well as C47 back to A28 and then the trigger wire from pin 7 on the euro headlight switch to A17. I've even swapped byte 18 in module 9 back to 00 and no change. Anyone else have problems like this with their Sportwagen?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I thought I screwed this mod up too.

Turns out I was testing things wrong.

With the wires in the proper pins and the coding as suggested.

And the engine running with the latch CLOSED. Everything works as it should. You also get a light in the cluster. Also this only works with the headlights on. In my MK4 I could have front and rear fog on together without the headlights (useless but I could do it)

These cars need the headlight on for the rear fog to work.

Hope this helps.

Brian

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
I just performed this precise installation on my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. Not only does the rear foglight not work, but when you turn the parking lights on, the city lights work per usual, but all four rear red lights turn on (tails and brakes). When I try to turn the fog lights on, I get headlights.

I've taken everything apart and verified the swap of A28 to C47 as well as C47 back to A28 and then the trigger wire from pin 7 on the euro headlight switch to A17. I've even swapped byte 18 in module 9 back to 00 and no change. Anyone else have problems like this with their Sportwagen?
Can anyone help me here? I've already blown one bulb as the brake lights are most likely single filament bulbs but are acting like two filament bulbs. I have triple checked the wiring and reverted back to the original wiring and original VCDS coding. I feel like I am going crazy here!

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
The mod works as the instructions say.

Pin A28 gets moved to C47. C47 is to be covered in elecrtical tape.

Coding changes as required.

Rear fog light equipped tail light installed!

Rear-fog will turn on, with motor running and all doors shut

rosadmr

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
External rear fog light

I added an external rear fog light on my 2013 Sportwagen. I have been looking at this forum trying to get info on doing it. After a lot of research I decided to make my own light. I used a light I bought at Walmart for $6.00. I used an L bracket from Home Depot that won't rust. I wired it through the car and used a 30 amp relay. I connected power from the fuse box and have a European light switch. I'm not sure how to upload pictures into this post but I added the pictures to the members pictures. If you can help me add them to here let me know. I love doing electrical work on cars but this car by far has been a challenge with its complex electronics system. Let me know what you think about my project!

Dennis

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
...I'm not sure how to upload pictures into this post .... Let me know what you think about my project!
Dennis
Super easy. Post picture(s) to free image hosting site like photobucket, paste the IMG data into the post...

I would like to see these pic's...