12 Golf - Purchasing decision

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
I am in the market for a daily driver and was looking into the '15 Golf and actually a '15 328d.

I was shown a VW Certified (2/24) '12 Golf TDi DSG with xenon (and LED:D) with 46k. Looked great, had a minor accident (no airbag per Carfax).

Asking price, $17.8.

Your thoughts please :)

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
I doubt the '12 you looked at differs much from your '10, but if I had the resources to acquire a 328d (at over twice the price!) I'd choose it over the Golf. I expect you don't need the extra traction of an AWD 328d in TX, but that's what I'd choose for CO.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubt the '12 you looked at differs much from your '10, but if I had the resources to acquire a 328d (at over twice the price!) I'd choose it over the Golf. I expect you don't need the extra traction of an AWD 328d in TX, but that's what I'd choose for CO.
Hi Mike_Van, thanks a lot for your reply :)

The only major difference is the LED DRLs. Otherwise, pretty much the same. Spent another day test driving 328d and call me crazy, but I still prefer the 12 Golf (value wise).

Yes, RWD or FWD is fine, unlike CO (snow), we get ice :D

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
Seems expensive to me. I bought my 11 tdi golf with only 15k on the clock for 16.5 out the door. And it is certified with extended warranty and no accidents. Car was perfect

Neosapian

TDI
2013 4dr DSG White
I am in the market for a daily driver and was looking into the '15 Golf and actually a '15 328d.
I was shown a VW Certified (2/24) '12 Golf TDi DSG with xenon (and LED:D) with 46k. Looked great, had a minor accident (no airbag per Carfax).
Asking price, $17.8.
Your thoughts please :)
Dude of course the Golf's a better value. It's a value-based product. The 328d is a luxury & comfort oriented proposition. If true long term cost of ownership isn't your primary concern and you can swing the BMW lease/purchase price just get it. You won't regret it. So much more car, in very different segment. I mean is that really a fair comparison? LoL.

Going from a 2010 to a 2012 seems to be a lateral move. If you want to stick with VW perhaps consider waiting to see if the Mk7 GTD makes it stateside or get a Mk7 R? Or just get the Bimmer :]

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
what is the price difference between a 15 golf and the used 12?

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
The extra weight and fuel cost of the 4wd would irritate me knowing I don't need it. But sure, it's a nice ride. I would go for the VW and try to get that price down a bit-maybe quote glitch's deal. The certified warranty is nice.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi TDIAustin, looking at 328d RWD :)
Test drove 15 Golf, 12 Golf and 15 328d RWD back to back. Actually preferred the 12 Golf but the perfectly balanced RWD 15 328d is a different beast all together :D

I am sorry to say that although 15 Golf would get better fuel mileage, I simply did not like it (coming from German build 03 Jetta TDi wagon MT and 10 Golf TDi DSG)....

Due to demand/supply, they are asking for premium for the 12 Golf (and it looks like it just rolled of the showroom (46k)) :eek:

Neosapian

TDI
2013 4dr DSG White
Have you ruled out the new A3 TDI? Same platform as the mk7 but tweaked for comfort? Performance? Seems to be positioned right in between the 328 & Golf. Im curious to know how it drives & options out compared to the Bimmer.

As for the certified '12 Golf. Im certain you can find a better deal on a lower mileage example.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you ruled out the new A3 TDI? Same platform as the mk7 but tweaked for comfort? Performance? Seems to be positioned right in between the 328 & Golf. Im curious to know how it drives & options out compared to the Bimmer.
As for the certified '12 Golf. Im certain you can find a better deal on a lower mileage example.
Hi Neosapian, I did test drive the A3 TDi as soon as it came out. The interior was nothing like the typical gorgeous Audi interior (aren't they supposed to be the best in class?). It's still a FWD and although German made, the Golf TDi will perhaps be a better value but the fit and finish might be nicer on the A3. Definitely more bells and whistles, aka, toys to play with.
If it was a 5 door hatchback, I'd be all over it (yes, I do like the Golf:D), but it's too small for a 4 door sedan.
I think (at least in Texas), they are not moving much (constant communication from the Audi dealership to pick up one) :)
Thanks for your response!! :cool:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I love the seats on the A3, the one I had the opportunity to drive got me thinking I might look for seats in a wrecked A-3:p