ridiculously harsh ride.what gives?

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
Hi all
I've got a 2.0 gt tdi which has stupidly harsh ride. I can feel every single bump and stone in the road and I mean every one. It's had replacement shocks and springs almost 10k ago, New tyres on the front although rears are down to 4mm. All the suspension bushings up front have been replaced bar the anti roll links and bushings. The rear hasn't had any love for bushings

What gives?! My old mk5 which has the sports suspension is still more comfortable and the suspension setup is the same!

The car is currently on 225 45 17 pirelli p7 blue all round

Please help! I'm in two minds to part ex it out already

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Maybe the tire pressure is too high. It's worth a check. Lots of guys seem to like that for slightly improved mpg and some responsiveness, but I hate hard tires. The new single recommended pressure is 38 psi, but back in the day they recommended lower psi for normal driving and higher pressures were only for carrying a load or sustained very high speed driving.

I run 33 psi. Now I also have slightly wider and taller 235/45/17 tires, but I did the same thing when I was still at the OEM size of 225/45/17.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I thought the GT models had stiffer suspension for more sporty performance. Stiffer springs? You pay a premium for the sport suspension, don't you? Scirroco has it available too. If the high performance suspension is not for you, trade it for a plain SE model?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Check the bolts which hold the subframe and subframe bracket to see if they have moved or seem loose. mine had stretched some, and one symptom was the harsh, every bump magnified ride you describe.

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a gt which i knew had slightly harder suspension but my mk5 sport had the exact same suspension! (Part numbers for shocks n springs were identical

Tyre psi is held at 33 all round and checked once week as I'm on the motorway most days.

Which subframe bolts in particular? Is there a diyhow to/ppart numbers?

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

ok so it looks like it could be my subframe bolts (i'm 99% sure the garage didnt change the bolts when they re-did my subframe insert bushing)

is this something i can change with my car on the ground or do i have to get it to a garage and up on a ramp?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
depends on how skinny you are.

would be easier up on a hoist, (that is how I did mine.) but you could do it on jack stands. I would want to take the weight off. then you can do one at a time if you think alignment is ok. torque is 70 NM plus 90 degrees, you should double check for your car.

here is a photo of my worst offender. this is where the subframe bracket bolts to the body. you can see/access via the hole in the LCA.

Why did you have the shop replace the subframe insert bushing?

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Long story... The bushing was beginning to split, and there was a pronounced knock when braking or accelerating, we changed the bush and found the engine mount had a bolt loose...

Going to try it on jack stands I think