gas in my sportwagen

2blacktdis

TDI
2012 sportwagen, 2013 passat
I put about 3 gallons of gas in my sport wagon yesterday. it had over half a tank of diesel when I did it. I'm wondering if I can get away with adding a couple quarts of 2 cycle oil and topping it off with diesel fuel.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
definitely not. Do not start your car. Have it towed to a dealer. They will drain your fuel tank. you have some expensive components that will fail if you run rug through you fuel system.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm wondering if I can get away with adding a couple quarts of 2 cycle oil and topping it off with diesel fuel.
Yeah, take something that is bad for your fuel system and compound it by adding something that is potentially bad for your emissions system. This is not your father's diesel engine. Do not start the engine. The more gasoline that hits your HPFP the more damage will be done. A failed HPFP can require replacing the entire fuel system from tank to injectors ($$$$). Tow it to a shop, flush the whole fuel system, and hope for the best.

Have Fun!

Don

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
(Read: $10k plus bill sometimes). Tow it.
-BB

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I put about 3 gallons of gas in my sport wagon yesterday. it had over half a tank of diesel when I did it. I'm wondering if I can get away with adding a couple quarts of 2 cycle oil and topping it off with diesel fuel.
how were you able to do this with the tank inlet guard?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
'12s didn't come with the inlet guard, it was added later. I've avoided getting one, and maybe the OP has, too.

To reinforce what others here have said, DO NOT drive the car. Have it towed to a dealer and flushed out. Be sure the tow truck driver and dealer staff know not to start it. Personally I'd not leave its side until it's in the service bay.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Dead easy fix, they have an in tank fuel pump disconnect the fuel hose at the filter and pump it out while bridging the fuel pump relay, had to do it many times at work and once at my parents. Replace the fuel filter, fill with diesel and done. It happens a lot more then people think. Use the old fuel for the lawnmower (cut it with more gas), starting outdoor camp fires etc. No sense disposing of it fuel is fuel. I run it in our old Mercedes diesel when it happens, they could handle up to 25% gas as written in the manual. Gas does clean out a diesel engine very well, problem is the high pressure pumps on modern stuff cannot tolerate the dryness.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It might be a "dead easy" fix on your 2000 TDI but the OP has a 2012 CR engine. The fuel system (particularly the HPFP) is far more fragile than anything on your car. With a CR engine the tank must be drained, the fuel lines flushed, the fuel filter replaced, and probably a few other things. Plus, you have to worry about how much damage might have been done to the HPFP. Poor lubricity fuel can (and will) seriously shorten the lifespan of these pumps. It is impossible to know if any (or how much) damage occurred without completely disassembling the pump (with I do not recommend).

Have Fun!

Don

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I have the fuel guard on mine and cant even tell its on their, maybe the BMW system is different for fuel guards...

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Old tdis have no intank pump, it is NOT easy to drain the tank on them, starting in 2004 they added in tank pumps so you can pump out your bad fuel. I have had to fix several Mercedes Benz CDand Jeep GC CRD with gas pumped into them, zero damage in every case and all common rail engines, they drove in misfires and we pumped them dry and changed the filter and still around. One Jeep it happened twice that I was around on the same car...it was up to almost 200k miles at that point.
If you pump the fuel out you are really flushing the feed line, what the return system holds is going to be very small % in the end. Swapping filters takes the rest out, be sure to empty the filter canister of fuel too. Just because a dealer writes out a long winded service order doesn't mean they actually do all those steps, ask me how I know I worked there for years. Adding a good dose of fuel conditioner/lube is always a good thing after an event like this, not a cleaner but conditioner.

Dragoncoach

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 MkV Jetta TDI/ '11 MKVI JSW TDI
As others have stated, how the heck were you able to get the nossel in with the fuel guard? And if there isn't one there, why didn't you take it in for the recall or the dealer do it during routine service? I know it was a mistake, but if you ran the motor, you could be in for some big repair bills. Hopefully not...good luck.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
It might be a "dead easy" fix on your 2000 TDI but the OP has a 2012 CR engine. The fuel system (particularly the HPFP) is far more fragile than anything on your car. With a CR engine the tank must be drained, the fuel lines flushed, the fuel filter replaced, and probably a few other things. Plus, you have to worry about how much damage might have been done to the HPFP. Poor lubricity fuel can (and will) seriously shorten the lifespan of these pumps. It is impossible to know if any (or how much) damage occurred without completely disassembling the pump (with I do not recommend).

Have Fun!

Don
There is no need to do all that if you don't turn the ignition on. You just simply drain the tank and refill it. In fact....I definitely would not take it to a dealer to do this. They will document it as a mis-fuel and definitely void their unofficial extended warranty of HPFP's.

Donald

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
2blackTDIs joined and lit a fire on this forum:rolleyes:
If you attempted to drive it... you may have just voided your drivetrain warantee. Longstanding significant issue with CR TDI fuel system and incompatibility with gasoline. I hope you didn't tell your dealership that you drove it after putting gasoline in it:eek:

May not help if the gasoline is in the injectors by now.

av8or

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG Candy White/Cornsilk
Gotta wonder if the OP is pulling our collective leg. This is his (or her) only post on the forum, and not a single response in over two weeks to the replies of forum members.