Dsg service OilFilter torque

Tony6

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have just exposed the filter and find it only hand tight from the factory. Forums say 15 ft lbs and this would seem too tight based on my findings and trying that torque on the old filter. Has any one got any comment or advice on the torque. Hand tight plus 1/2 turn seems a better tightness to me !

Tony6

TDI
Not on my 2011 sportswagen tdi. Everything I read says 15 ft lbs but this is the first change and it was a little more than hand tight!. Any comments would be appreciated as I am now reluctant to torque to 15

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
My directions show 20 Nm (newton meters) on the DSG filter housing. Way different torque measurement than foot pounds!

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
My directions show 20 Nm (newton meters) on the DSG filter housing. Way different torque measurement than foot pounds!
I thought you were right at first ... then went to onlineconversion.com (my go-to tool for unit conversions) and found that this is the conversion:

20 newton meter = 14.751242946 pound foot

So based on this, it looks like 15ft-lbs may be the correct number.

Tony6

TDI
I have settled for 15 ft lbs or 20 mm. After looking carefully at the cap the o ring is not compressed as it seals internally. As such it is the plastic cap that is torqued so 15 ft lbs is right. Thanks for your replies

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, the DSG oil filter cap works like the engine oil filter cap. It only needs to be snug, tightening it more won't make it seal more.

-J

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Yes, the DSG oil filter cap works like the engine oil filter cap. It only needs to be snug, tightening it more won't make it seal more.

-J
correct.

replace the o-ring, screw it till it stops, then a little more by hand and you are done. the o-ring does the sealing.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
I know this thread is old but thought I should add my findings.
While doing an oil change I discovered that I had DSG fluid leaking onto the splash pan. At first glance I thought it was an output shaft seal. Turns out is was the filter cap. Turns out it backed off just enough to leak while under pressure. I did the one and only DSG service myself. I can assure you I tightened it to the proper torque. What I discovered is that the o-ring appears to have shrank some. There is very little resistance when turnung the cap by hand. So little that I thought for a moment that I may have forgot to put the new o-ring on. I checked and its still there.
I cant remove the cap without making a mess and I planned another service at the 100k mark anyhow.
So as a precautionary measure this will be an additional check added to my regular service.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
There was some explanation on another thread a few weeks ago. Vaico DSG filter cap seals (if that is what you used) don't last 40k miles and will leak. You must use a new VW seal.

Last edited:

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
There was some explanation on another thread a few weeks ago. Valeo DSG filter cap seals (if that is what you used) don't last 40k miles and will leak. You must use a new VW seal.
Thanks for the info. I could not tell you what seal was supplied in the kit I bought. It was purchased thru Bora parts if that helps.
I just ordered another kit from them. I will get a VW o ring either way.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Just checked again. It is Vaico brand that has the issues. (Edited my first post) Also looked at what Bora parts sells and it does not list the brand, only the part number, N91084501. I used a Vaico seal on mine when I did the DSG service a few months ago. I read about the leaking issue afterwards. I'll be changing out the seal soon as well.