Cross Country TDI trip report

BlueAutoGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I couldn't wait to drive my TDI, which had been in storage for 9 months while I live abroad. The folks over at Commonwealth VW in Orange County went and picked it up and got it ready to roll before I arrived. I appreciated that service!

But they forgot one small detail, and that was to tighten the battery posts so I had a little scare in Arizona with different system lights going on and off, and finally it went dead after I stopped in Quartzsite, AZ.

I found out that VW emergency road service may in fact be worthless. They spent a half hour with me on the phone trying to figure out where the town was and should the tow truck should be dispatched from, Indio or Tuscon. And how far it was to take the car back to the dealer it was last serviced at!

Screw that! There must have been a half a dozen mechanic shops, diesel repair, truck places, etc., just within view from the parking lot. A guy walking by took a look and in 2 seconds realized what I had not, that the battery cables were not so much as even finger tightened.

Thanks to the dude in the Datsun in Quartzsite, you saved my getting home for Christmas.

So back on the road the drive was great all the way to Alabama and Tennessee. When I left the car only had 1500 miles on it, so the fuel mileage kept getting better and better, peaking on the way back across Texas at 49, with over 630 miles on a tank with some reserve to spare. That was a tank of truck diesel, bought to avoid a horrendous line at the Auto diesel pump. I never realized how small a Golf looks along side a dozen 18wheelers in the other bays!

Along the way I spotted only a few other TDI's. A Grey Golf doing 100 + on 20 near Abeline with some writing across the back window. A black Jetta at a car wach in Homewood, AL and there was a non-TDI 82 Jetta in Dateland, with a happy owner.

Overall it was a great trip and the car performed flawlessly except for the screw up. From under 2K to now over 6K.

Damn, I hate my Honda Domani!

http://www.geocities.com/mike77000

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: BlueAutoGolf ]</p>

BlueAutoGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
"What was the high point?"

There were three really:

1. Dallas Spring Creek BBQ - the BBQ

2. Caines coffee, at a few places in Texas, the best coffee I have had in many, many years.

3. Opening it up on Hwy 31 in Southern Central TN. Great curves through rolling hills and farmland, no traffic, VW handling like silk at over 90, no cops in sight.

Anyone here have a Silver or Grey Golf with some large letters/ writing across the back window?

Anyone else know Caines coffee? Sorry if it is well known, it was my first time to try it.