Super loud chatter after 6 speed swap - Need advice pls

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Last Friday, I got my my 5 speed swapped for a 6 speed on my 03 TDI.

The tranny code is ERF and was just rebuilt w/ an Peloquin LSD added to it.

The clutch his a DC stage IV+, has a high performance dual full faced feramic lined disk (feramic linings on both sides); Rated for 575 lb/feet of torque.

The flywheel is lightened to 12 lbs and has been balanced

My problem:

I got this way strange super LOUD chatter. Nothing like I ever heard before. I am used to lightened SMF chatter but this seems WAY different and super LOUD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy0Q1V0Py68

When I first start it and release the clutch, it sounds like no chatter I have ever heard.. sounds like the whole frickin clutch is coming apart. Frickin LOUD. Can't even hear the engine running. Like it's rubbing or something .. I mean it is fricking SCARY!! Then I pump the clutch pedal a couple times and release the clutch and it totally goes away ... it sounds just like if the clutch was pushed in on a normal lightened SMF set up. Then I leave it.. and the chatter starts to come back slowly. It gets louder and louder and then it gets wayyyy frickin LOUD again like before, and it sounds like it's coming apart. W T F ?

So it's super frickin loud... pump the clutch cpl times and to goes away completely. I release the clutch and Can't head any chatter at all?

Has anybody had this kind of chatter happening in your 6 speed when you put an new HP clutch ?

Any thought on how to remedy?

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Is that flywheel shaped like a dinner plate? Can you show me better pix of it?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that flywheel shaped like a dinner plate? Can you show me better pix of it?
Chris,

I wish I would have taken a photo of both sides of it before it went in but I did not.

This gives you an idea what the cross section looks (except it's obviously equal on both sides.. .can't draw)

They shaved off the underside,

Where it joins the center may be at a 45 degree instead of a 90 degree as I drew it. I forgot.

What is the weight of your flywheel?

Mike, It's a little more than 12 lbs.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Sounds a lot like my original SMF for my 6 speed. But mine never got quiet. It sounded like a Peterbuilt all the time until you stepped on the clutch, then it was quiet as long as my foot was on the clutch, or I was driving. But at idle, it sounded like all the crankshaft bolts were loose. I solved it with a new clutch setup. The wheel was too light and the shape was like that of a deep dinner plate or a loudspeaker cone. Thus the noise. My wheel looks like that too. I still have it. I will take it out and take pix....see if it looks like yours.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I have the DC single mass flywheel and it has been lightened to about 18lbs. It seems to rattle about the same as Travis' full weight one does. That is, nothing when you first fire it up, but it rattles more as the gear oil heats up. If you push in the clutch the rattle will come back gradually. The 02M's are known to rattle more than the 02A's/J's. I once had an aluminum flywheel and it was how you explain it.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Lots more gears meshing together = lots of places with backlash = lots of gear rattle. I just did a 6 speed swap on thursday and even with a dmf it still rattled a little bit.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I went through this. I was Bora Parts first installer, I Had the same described tractor like chatter, push clutch and release it and it goes away, or a blip of the throttle. We removed the trans to examine it, transmission was flawless, we replaced the trans with another one off the shelf reinstalled and it had the same noise.
I do run the full weight single mass and a DCst3+. at around 8-10k miles it quieted down quite a bit. At fest it was noisier because of the misfire. It is currently not much louder than my oem 5sp. clutch. I can still induce the tractor chatter with a light blip of the throttle when it's cold.

For strength the st3+ has held up to all the power I have thrown at it so far. That is including a 2500-3000 rpm clutch dump with the slicks on.

Drive it!!!
Mine has only gotten better with every mile.

O.C.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went through this. I was Bora Parts first installer, I Had the same described tractor like chatter, push clutch and release it and it goes away, or a blip of the throttle. We removed the trans to examine it, transmission was flawless, we replaced the trans with another one off the shelf reinstalled and it had the same noise.
I do run the full weight single mass and a DCst3+. at around 8-10k miles it quieted down quite a bit. At fest it was noisier because of the misfire. It is currently not much louder than my oem 5sp. clutch. I can still induce the tractor chatter with a light blip of the throttle when it's cold.

For strength the st3+ has held up to all the power I have thrown at it so far. That is including a 2500-3000 rpm clutch dump with the slicks on.

Drive it!!!
Mine has only gotten better with every mile.

O.C.
Tnx partner... I really appreciated your advice on this one. I am glad this is normal and even more glad it will go away with time.

I think it has been resolved but you should ask Pierre to make sure!
Wishful thinking my brother... The troll with the jack hammer came back ... as soon as you left.

I am wondering if clutch chatter has to do with simple harmonic motion? I still can't figure out why it's so intermittent

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
It will come back again and again.
Don't over think it. It's just harmonics and an unbedded HD clutch.
Tuning, timing, injector balance all play contributing factors into the harmonics.

With the clutch. Go out and pump it as fast as you can for 30 seconds or so. You might have to do this a few times but it will firm the pedal up.

O.C.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Its the flywheel you need a stock weight one. Mine sounds worse than that. I have a light weight flywheel with spec stage 2. Mine has done it for well over 100k miles.

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
It's frickin AWESOME Phillip. I will try to get my vid camera back from my son and take it the car to the Autobahn so I can make a video.
Pierre, where is the GoPro? you should put the camera on the front bumper and just shoot an HD video for us ....