bew bucking/jerking when letting off throttle

cygnus

TDI
2000jetta, 2001 jetta doa ,2002jetta 2006 jetta wagon
ive got a bew wagon ,had this issue for quite a while
a jarring jerking feeling through the car when letting off the pedal
seems worse at higher speeds. My other diesels do not do this
I have to release the last bit of the pedal very slowly to avoid it.
the front end has been refreshed apart from sway links an inner tie rods
first thought was dogbone. the dogbone and axels play seem to match my other bew wagon.Both engines seem to move about the same under load.
I replaced the transmission side mount and dogbone with used ones i had and it made no difference.
Im wondering if i should swap in some used axels i have to rule those out.
Is there any chance fueling could be causing this. if so would i check injection
quality?
thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Have you checked the cam for wear lately?

mcox53

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Following along, I am having the same thing but not as major. I can tap the pedal slightly on and off which gives me a slight jerk. Doesn't seem as crazy as yours but I don't want it to get that way.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Try unplugging the EGR and see if it makes a difference. I had an 04 Beetle that was driving me crazy with what seemed like a miss under light throttle or when I would let up on the throttle. I switched out the EGR with two other known good EGR's. Same miss with the other two EGR's. Unplugged the EGR. Miss was gone.

dweisel

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GL Manual Jetta Wagon
Try unplugging the EGR and see if it makes a difference. I had an 04 Beetle that was driving me crazy with what seemed like a miss under light throttle or when I would let up on the throttle. I switched out the EGR with two other known good EGR's. Same miss with the other two EGR's. Unplugged the EGR. Miss was gone.

dweisel

What does that mean then? If two additional presumably functional EGRs caused the same problem.

cygnus

TDI
Good idea dwiesel.
i had the same thought and actually Unplugged the egr on my commute yesterday but no change

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
When you say a clunk , does it seem like drive line? Pop you hood and put the front of the car on jack stands. With the car in gear or park try to move the wheels. If there is any movement, you will be able to see it. Could be a bad motor mount or dog bone. My son has one that the motor will rock so bad that it almost hits the fire wall. Could also be a bad CV joint allowing the movement.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Also check your lower control arms. The ones on my car were so bad that when you hit the brakes the wheel would move 2-3 inches in each direction if you were going forward or backward. The rubber was completely gone.

cygnus

TDI
just rechecked engine and front axel movement.
Looks identical to my other wagon
All lca bushings are new( good thought though)
Guess ill swap in some parts ( ie another dogbone) and see if that help
The only other thing i noticed was one injector seemed about +1 out from the others in measuring blocks 13

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I had that let off jerk or stumble. Mine was the EGR coming on and the throttle flap was sticky and didn’t actuate well or suddenly. I also noticed a shutdown shutter which led me to disassemble and clean the throttle flap assembly. The grease went hard so I cleaned and re-lubricated it. All issues resolved and this was 200k-km ago.

Last edited: