Is this normal?

Tartrus

TDI
Mk4 BEW Jetta
Hi everyone,

I picked up this BEW about a year ago and while doing some glow plug work on the car I noticed a buildup of oil and soot on the right side of the engine (See pictures).

Anyone know where this is from and if it's a known issue?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not normal. If I'm looking at it right it may be a tandem pump leak. Tandem pump is the fuel and vacuum pump at the rear of the cylinder head (driver's side). Driven by the camshaft.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Looks like the classic burned oil from failed valve cover to me. Replace cover, clean and see what happens, or rtv clean and see what happens.
Or as IBW says tandem pump.
Either way oils leaking and burning, either or both are possible
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tartrus

TDI
Mk4 BEW Jetta
For either issue would I have to replace the part or is replacing a gasket fine? Is there an external indicator if I have a valve cover that can have the gasket replaced?

In the meantime is the only issue an increased oil consumption and mess or is this something I need to fix right away?

Thanks

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
There is a coolant line running under the tandem pump which can/will be adversely affected by the oil, particularly if it is a diesel leak from tandem pump. Worst case you have a coolant line blow and need a tow, emergency repair etc.

Tandem pump gasket is cheap and easy to fix but sometimes it is the pump itself.

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
There is a coolant line running under the tandem pump which can/will be adversely affected by the oil, particularly if it is a diesel leak from tandem pump. Worst case you have a coolant line blow and need a tow, emergency repair etc.

Tandem pump gasket is cheap and easy to fix but sometimes it is the pump itself.
this happened to me, a small leak in the fuel line caused the coolant lines to inflate and break down. something to watch for 100%