Will a 2004 Audi A4 pd130 start in gear?

johno79

TDI
bora arl
Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Audi A4 with a shot master cylinder, yes I know it's not a nice job to replace but I should manage it. However the car is a fair distance away and I would rather get it home then replace the master. So my question is, will the car start (bump in gear from the key)? Or will it refuse to engage the starter due to the clutch being inactive? I can still depress the clutch so the switch will still be able to be deactivated if its an electronic signal that is required for it to engage the starter. I hope you know what I'm getting at lol. If I can start it in gear. Changing gear is relatively straightforward and I have experience in doing that without causing damage.

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I had my slave cylinder fail after installing my new clutch... Yes I know the irony... I was able to start it by pressing the clutch, even though it wouldn't release, in first gear and shift without using the clutch just fine. Had to restart at every light, most you might do is strain your starter.
Just press the clutch in to trigger the start circuit, and start it in first gear. Just be careful out there doing that!

johno79

TDI
bora arl
Yeah, that's what I was thinking it would do, I have had this problem before on a previous car of mine (non vw) and I had to do this to get it home. That's the answer I was hoping for, thanks a lot��