Injector leaking

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 2001 Jetta 95 Dodge diesel 4x4
I got my jetta back together from deer impact and I noticed the injectors are leaking around the base washer , I tried to clean out the head and install a new washer , but it is still leaking . Damn . So I don't know if any one has dealt with this before . I have though that I might have to use some kind of tool to lap in the surface . I never had this problem before . I bought this car a year ago so I have no idea what was done to the motor . I may have to buy a head but I going to try to avoid that if possible . The head does l not look gas cut but apparently it is not good enough to seal . I open to suggestions thanks , I tried to call Franks TDI but I could not get ahold of him

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
I used to have issues getting the injectors to seal. Even thought the head was cracked but there is actually a procedure to seal the injectors.

Torque to what 15(?maybe 18? Google jt)ftlbs. Take a hammer and draft/punch/extension and give the bolt a tap, and retorque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
workinman,

Remove the offending injector. Loosen the fuel line at the IP end
and then at the injector. Undo the holddown cam. The injector
body will pull straight out, though it might require a bit of
wiggling side to side.

There is a copper crush washer on the bottom, or it might be left in the hole/seat, remove with a pick or similar.
Clean the hole carefully, something like a 12ga bore brush will help, but you do
NOT want to get any grit et al into the piston cylinder. Plug the hole with a rag etc.

A new washer is about $2, or clean and anneal your existing one.
Lap the surfaces on a flat stone, heat red hot, propane torch or gas stove,
and quench in cold water. Bingo! Annealed.

Reinsert injector with washer, take a brass drift and seat firmly.
Do NOT over torque the hold down, it's not intended to seat the
injector, only hold it in place.

Eminently doable in an hour or so if you're at all handy.

Cheers!

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys for the help . I thought i might have to make a mandrel in a lathe to lap in the bore , check with some Persian blue . I never had this problem before , but this engine has an unknow history , i bought it off a car lot and i assume the motor was installed in it, probably a rebuilder . I have extra washers but now i know how to soften them. I have lapped them in before

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
You are talking about a compression leak and not a fuel leak right?
Yes Sir compression . I been doing some reading and I found that injector seat cutters can be bought in a kit . Watched some being done on u tube . I not sure what the injectors size is on the alh I guess I can measure it and figure it out. I going to build a lapping tool at work just in case . I damn tired of this . I have some lapping compound of different grit that is used to lap in valves at work . I going to build some thing to make sure the seat is like it should be with minimum removal of metal as possible

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
workinman,

Just to be clear, my recommendation is to make sure the copper crush
washer is flat and true. If properly annealed and seated, it will conform to the seat in the cylinder head. Should be no need to lap
the seat. It won't hurt if you do, provided there is no damage.
After your deer hit, I'm guessing it's been jarred loose on impact.

It's a crush washer, designed to compensate for minor inconsistancies
in production line machining.

You may get away with simply removing the fuel line, give it a good
thump, and retorquing the hold down cam, 15#s. No removal necessary. Worth a try.

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the injector and a spare head that is probably bad in my Honda rig ride and I going to use those parts to build a mandrel to lap in the seat . Just in case all else fails . I never had any problem with this crap before on any diesel engine I ever had. I going to pull all of the injectors and clean the seat as good as I can. Install new washer and use the advice that was posted here. Hopefully that will end this . I going to have a back up plan or two just in case . One of them is a mandrel to lap in the seat and check with some Persian blue

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
leak

I went on the net to find that there are tools made to clean out the seat where the injector seal or should , so I bought the kit and I had a bad spare head I took to work and after work I machined a lapping tool . I made a couple of them . I think that this will help get the seat in better shape to seal