New or Reman Starter

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Get a genuine Bosch reman starter. Many of the aftermarket ones are crappy. Lots of places carry or can get a Bosch.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Find a business that will rebuild yours. This ensures you keep the OEM starter and it's as good as new. Most even come with a warrantee.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Or just carry another known good used one for when yours bites the dust :)

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Don't buy any remanufactured starters except Bosch. I had a cheaper Chinese reman that didn't even last 9 months before it quit turning over.

As for new OEM like Valeo or something similar, I've never used one but I wouldn't be afraid too.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I've had mixed luck with Bosch reman's. First one lasted 9 months, warranty. Then the second one lasted 2 years. Put a brand new Valeo in and hope this one last more than 2 years. Lol.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I bought a Bosch remanufactured starter from NAPA with a 2 year warranty 9 months ago, and have not had any issues.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Don't assume the OP still has an OEM Bosch starter; it may already be aftermarket, a reman, etc.

If you have the time, pull your old starter, clean the contacts, verify the brushes are in decent shape, and reinstall. Most starters are full of dust/etc and a good cleaning goes a long, long ways.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I second that. My girlfriend's Jetta has 278k miles and starting was very weak. Disassembled the starter and only one of the brushes was making contact. Unstuck it, blew it out, and cleaned the contacts, and the difference is night and day.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I put an Autozone starter on my wife's B5.5 and it was fine. If you go that route, make sure they can verify the country of reman. The one I got was Poland. Of course avoid Chinese.

toledotom

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thank you! I have 221,000 on my 2004 TDI Jetta Wagon and starter is having some issues in cold -5 weather. I will take it apart when warmer and change brushes or fix them like you said! Thanks, answers many of my ????? regarding a New or re-Man.

Tom

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Lets hear some prices of what you paid for reman/rebuilt.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I got an aftermarket one off ebay for my 2001, been in the car over 3 years and still starts the car before you finish turning the key.

Jettadoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Auto 419,000Km. +/-(260,000miles)
Lets hear some prices of what you paid for reman/rebuilt.
I just got a genuine Bosch reman from Roseland Tech for $270 CDN. Two yrs warranty and roadside assistance to boot.

I've read all the fixes but my old starter with a burned out braided wire had 14 years and 250K+ miles on it. There's only so much you can gain by flogging a dead horse. If the wire has gone bad through heat prostration I don't see how the innards have not been affected. Fixing starters is not something I want to put on my annual maintenance list.

I was gobsmacked at how quickly the engine turns now, even from a cold(-10C) start; never had it turn over like that in the 7 years I've owned the car so I think it was worth every penny.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I love the Bosch Reman starters at idparts. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1478

$275 with a $92 core charge. I have had consistent results with this starter and in the North (I used to live in MN) the starters lasted about 4 years. I had the best starter rebuilder I knew is Saint Paul MN and he charged me $200 and change and it started making noise after 6 months.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I love the Bosch Reman starters at idparts. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1478

$275 with a $92 core charge. I have had consistent results with this starter and in the North (I used to live in MN) the starters lasted about 4 years.
The starters in my TDIs are all original - two '03s still working perfectly in Canadian winters, but the '00 is noticeably slower this winter and will need rebuilding before next winter.

I would not be the least bit impressed with a starter that only lasted 4 years, especially if it cost me $275!

Simon

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
This video is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM2veUNBc0#t=518

So who has a complete list of rebuild parts with sources so us DIY guys can rebuild one at home?

I would assume at some point the brushes will wear groves in the comutator and will need a lathe to flatten them back out again?

Probably replace the nosecone assembly? Solenoid?

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
The starters in my TDIs are all original - two '03s still working perfectly in Canadian winters, but the '00 is noticeably slower this winter and will need rebuilding before next winter.
Our '98 factory original starter is still going strong after 226K miles! :D

But FL winters are probably not nearly as hard on starters as in the Great White North! :eek:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
$255 from metalmanparts. Free shipping. You keep your core. Find a rebuild shop and have it rebuilt for the shelf or resale

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I just got a genuine Bosch reman from Roseland Tech for $270 CDN. Two yrs warranty and roadside assistance to boot.
Oh the good old days... they’re $340 now, $401 if you’re eating the core charge.
It’s too spendy to ship the core back across the country so I might as well keep it to rebuild later I guess.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
It's funny you bumped this today as I was at work earlier on the phone with a rebuild shop and got quoted ~$200 for a rebuild of my old BOSCH. While I was on the phone with him, he checked their two warehouses, and could only find ONE BOSCH reman which I think should be unusual. The one he found was something like $280 (so, 383.97 CAN) plus core charge but when I heard $200 to rebuild mine, I was done paying attention. Going to take it in next month, and keep it on the shelf. I searched a while ago, and just now, and can't find a rebuild kit. If you find one J_dude, let us know. But honestly I'm OK with paying a shop to do it.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
But honestly I'm OK with paying a shop to do it.
A new Valeo is just under $200. I put one in my beetle. It is mind blowing how fast it starts up now. I didn't think the previous starter was all that bad, but in comparison - wow, just wow.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh the good old days... they’re $340 now, $401 if you’re eating the core charge.
It’s too spendy to ship the core back across the country so I might as well keep it to rebuild later I guess.
Contact @Mozambiquer; even with exchange rate and shipping to me in Canada, one of his rebuilds (which look pretty much new) was a good deal. Shipping an old one back to him for the core was only like $15-20 IIRC.

Good guy to deal with, too.